Sportsman Show is back

Re: Sportsman Show is back

Postby Fancy » Apr 9th, 2018, 9:08 am

There was a lot of empty space according to the map in behind the BC Conservation table and the other end. I didn't see fish identification material nor fishing kayaks or accessories. I did like the filleting fish show by Codfathers and I really should have looked for a good fillet knife. That program in Winfield does look interesting and informative.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7557 posts

Postby Queen K » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:23 am

Queen K wrote:I will say I was shocked there weren't more local stores represented there. Where was True Outdoors? MEC? and the like?

I'll give you that.

Where were all the demos on life saving skills? Water filtrations straws? And the like? And a demo on the advantages of having a really good first aid kit in the truck?

So okay, there's work to do, but in no way can our little venues here compete with huge ones else where. And with the parking lot at Prospera being turned into a freaking highrise, I don't foresee an improvement any day soon.

And outdoor safety all together? Here's a recent example of a one lucky outdoors sports guy who got found after going out alone, running out of gas:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... rough-snow

One of things I noted about say the KAT electric cycle display that they emphasize you can go further afield. Well with going further out into new areas there is some personal responsibilities too, which were not emphasized.

Taking adequate supplies: food, water, and first aid gear. Solar cell phone chargers and the like.

The guy with the snow-bike? How do you take extra gas? Know your vehicles limits!

At least he had a GPS app on his cell phone that was accurate.

And he seems to be blaming COSAR for not knowing his situation: BUDDY, they only know if they get a phone call. Did you leave a trip map, or explanation where you were going? Or anything with your girlfriend to say where you were going in theory? Did someone call them to let them know you were found and okay? These guys dropped everything to look for you. :135:

I think there could have been a booth at the Sports Show emphasizing safety and why a lot of things are important.
Even to having a GPS app and knowing how to use it.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14713 posts

Postby Fancy » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:42 am

Being discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=77882&p=2333593#p2333593
and he wasn't blaming COSAR for anything - he said he was surprised. How would he know they were called out or he may have thought the police would have told them he was okay.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:44 am

I would have liked to see more gear for women. SPOT would be useful to learn about there as well.

gsc likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Queen K » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:49 am

Fancy wrote:Being discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=77882&p=2333593#p2333593
and he wasn't blaming COSAR for anything - he said he was surprised. How would he know they were called out or he may have thought the police would have told them he was okay.

But I'm adding a different twist on the subject in line with the Sports show. Not the subject itself. I did google snow bike and thought, wow, another way for weekend warriors to get themselves hurt and in trouble.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:50 am

Fancy wrote:I would have liked to see more gear for women. SPOT would be useful to learn about there as well.

SPOT?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:51 am

One prize was a huge gun. Someone with a PAL could win it. The guy said he'd have a hard time handing it over to me once I revealed I didn't have a PAL.

gsc likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Fancy » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:53 am

A youth could win and the gun would be signed over to the parent.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Queen K » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:55 am

As long as the parent had a PAL.

And then, why not put an age restriction on the draw? But the point of the meme is that more care goes into adopting out a cat.

When I had an interview at the SPCA, I was asked most of those questions in the meme. Including if I was the owner of the property and did my landlord know I was adopting a cat. "I am the owner." Nope, she tried again 5 minutes later about me being a tenant.
Last edited by Queen K on Apr 10th, 2018, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Fancy » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:55 am

Queen K wrote:SPOT?

https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=101
These devices have come in handy in an emergency.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:56 am

Queen K wrote:As long as the parent had a PAL.

And then, why not put an age restriction on the draw?
I believe Aboriginals' rights may be different but if the parent has a PAL there's no reason to put an age restriction. A youth needs a gun to hunt too.
Last edited by Fancy on Apr 10th, 2018, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Queen K » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:57 am

Fancy wrote:
Queen K wrote:SPOT?

https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=101
These devices have come in handy in an emergency.

Good to know. A safety booth would have included this device and explanations on how it works and why it's so valuable.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Apr 10th, 2018, 8:59 am

Fancy wrote:I would have liked to see more gear for women. SPOT would be useful to learn about there as well.

I tried on extra large for camo gear, I liked the fabric etc. And it was still not fitting. Ah, not cut for women's hips.

So ya. And camo gear can be marketed to photographers too. :up: Not just hunters.

gsc likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Fancy » Apr 10th, 2018, 9:06 am

I wear my camo gear for camping, hunting and fishing. Makes it easy to pack - and speaking of - was there anything in the way of backpacks and gear totes there? I saw the guns but don't recall noticing cases etc.

gsc likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Queen K » Apr 10th, 2018, 9:08 am

Yup, right at the front door. Backpacks, but not a lot of them.

One concern I have with camo gear is this, what if one gets lost or hurt in the woods and now COSAR or some outfit has to find you?

That's why reversible hats, one camo and one a bright orange is so valuable. I didn't see any of those.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan