Illegal Dumping

K33p3r

Re: Illegal Dumping

Post by K33p3r »

Pretty soon people will be pa-trolling the area with security looking lights.

There has got to be no cameras up there or it would have made the news already. PTZ would be just as useless as the non-existent cameras.

Not one illegal dumping person cares about legality as they keep dumping under the nose of everyone...including the house just over that short ridge.
Nada
hutton
Fledgling

Post by hutton »

not sure if cameras would be 'Legal'??? I am all for it, burt I think it is illegal to do so, you cant just throw up a camera in/on public property and start recording people. Any video caught could and probably would not be admissible as it would be illegally obtained and the offender could sue and would probably win.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Back before oftf even started i was having conversations with the waste management office at rdco. They just do not get it.

I suggested putting a bin at the first shootimg range. I was told it would encourage dumping lol. The dumping is happening regardless. Volunteers have cleaned postill 3 or 4 times since then. Yet here we go another spring cleaning is needed.

The people at RDCO are at least half to blame. Lack
Of planning. Lack of effort. Lack of enforcement. Zero effort put in by the powers that be. All too willing to let Kane patrol and organize clean ups.

When oftf started i had no idea we would be cleaning same spots over and over. I foolishly thought we could make a difference. We have. Still sad to see so few people care
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

hutton wrote:not sure if cameras would be 'Legal'??? I am all for it, burt I think it is illegal to do so, you cant just throw up a camera in/on public property and start recording people. Any video caught could and probably would not be admissible as it would be illegally obtained and the offender could sue and would probably win.

There are cameras everywhere now that are quite legal and they put cameras in wooded areas all the time to video animals activities so if someone dumping illegally gets caught in one then so much the better.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Jflem1983 wrote:The people at RDCO are at least half to blame. Lack Of planning. Lack of effort. Lack of enforcement.

Half to blame for what? for the dumping? if that's your point, you're %100 wrong. The people driving piles of garbage into the woods and leaving there are completely to blame for doing so.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

I live in Shannon lake. Last weekend some knob decided to dump all his drywall from a renovation down the dirt road near the power station. The Westside transfer station is literally a 30 second drive up the rd :cuss: :swear:
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

zerograv wrote:I live in Shannon lake. Last weekend some knob decided to dump all his drywall from a renovation down the dirt road near the power station. The Westside transfer station is literally a 30 second drive up the rd :cuss: :swear:

The fee for Drywall is $6 per sheet at transfer station or $145 ton at Glenmore landfill.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I wonder what would happen if the landfill / dump areas operated by the City or Regional District were fully funded and everything was free. Might be cheaper in the long run vs the toll taken on the environment.

I'm not condoning the behavior but people are stupid and will gladly dump toxic waste in the bush vs spending a couple bucks at the dump.
okanaganforesttaskforce

Post by okanaganforesttaskforce »

hutton wrote:not sure if cameras would be 'Legal'??? I am all for it, burt I think it is illegal to do so, you cant just throw up a camera in/on public property and start recording people. Any video caught could and probably would not be admissible as it would be illegally obtained and the offender could sue and would probably win.

The camera we are talking about also needs power so it would have to be on private property.
How hard is it to pick up after your self in the forest!!
okanaganforesttaskforce

Post by okanaganforesttaskforce »

K33p3r wrote:Pretty soon people will be pa-trolling the area with security looking lights.

There has got to be no cameras up there or it would have made the news already. PTZ would be just as useless as the non-existent cameras.

Not one illegal dumping person cares about legality as they keep dumping under the nose of everyone...including the house just over that short ridge.

There are no cams up at the moment as winter is ending and not sure why it would make the news if no one was told about when it go's up..

As for the PTZ are you speaking from experience "DB" on how they work? Do you your self happen to own one? Many of us feel it will work great. I have personally seen how well they work even at night time as i personally own one already but time will tell.
Last edited by okanaganforesttaskforce on Apr 6th, 2018, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
How hard is it to pick up after your self in the forest!!
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Bsuds wrote:
zerograv wrote:I live in Shannon lake. Last weekend some knob decided to dump all his drywall from a renovation down the dirt road near the power station. The Westside transfer station is literally a 30 second drive up the rd :cuss: :swear:

The fee for Drywall is $6 per sheet at transfer station or $145 ton at Glenmore landfill.

How do they determine how many sheets when its all in 2" chunks?
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

The people at RDCO are at least half to blame. Lack Of planning. Lack of effort. Lack of enforcement.

Half to blame for what? for the dumping? if that's your point, you're %100 wrong. The people driving piles of garbage into the woods and leaving there are completely to blame for doing so.

I heard RDCO on the CBC radio this week after OFTF spoke. Their response was so discouraging... "not our jurisdiction" They acknowledge its a significant problem, yet seem to have no solutions. So yes while the people doing the dumping are to blame, the lack of coordinated approach to curb the problem and enforce or improve regulations, the blame sits with RDCO and the province.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

What part of 145 per ton are you not clear on ?
I think it's a fairly high minimum, if you only have say 2/3 of a sheet...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

The last time i was at the westbank dump, maybe two weeks ago they were no longer excepting drywall...expect alot more dumped in the bush
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

dirtguy wrote:

The last time i was at the westbank dump, maybe two weeks ago they were no longer excepting drywall...expect alot more dumped in the bush

Ahhh so this is the real reason. great, so i have to expect a lot more dumped in my neighbourhood.

Return to “Central Okanagan”