8 Charges Get Plead Down To One?

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

8 Charges Get Plead Down To One?

Post by WalterWhite »

I hope someone with a better understanding of the legal process can explain this to me, because I have a hard time grasping how this is reasonable:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ug-witness

While McGee originally pleaded not guilty and was set to face trial next week for attempted murder involving a criminal organization, aggravated assault and six other firearms charges, he pleaded guilty to just the attempted murder charge, Friday.

Crown prosecutor Murray Kaay told the court he intends to drop all other charges following sentencing.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: 8 Charges Get Plead Down To One?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Canadian Lawyer Mag
Columnists
Michael Spratt

Why plea bargains can be a deal with the devil
January 16, 2017

The plea bargain is a deal with the devil — at least according to many members of the public. The public may be right, but the real question is: Just who is the devil in the plea bargain equation?

Let’s first take a step back and go over some basics.

In 1975, the Law Reform Commission of Canada defined a plea bargain as "any agreement by the accused to plead guilty in return for the promise of some benefit."

The essence of any plea bargain is a quid pro quo.

So the quid: The accused gives up their constitutional right to be presumed innocent and waives their right to a trial. In other words, the accused relieves the state of the heavy obligation of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
After all, there is only one guarantee in criminal law — if you plead guilty you will be found guilty.

And the quo: The accused receives the benefit of reduced charges, or less jail time or some measure of certainty about the ultimate sentence.

Balance of article
http://www.canadianlawyermag.com/author ... evil-3505/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Thanks for that ^^ I guess they (the crown) need a better negotiator :)
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

This is nothing new, police usually make a slew of charges e.g. put your hand up to deflect a strike and you are charged with resisting arrest, obstruction ect.
Remember , let your lawyer do the talking , say nothing to the police
BGrigg07

Post by BGrigg07 »

Standard (and to me reprehensible) practice, especially when the prosecutors have a weak case. Throw the book at them and plea bargain for a lesser crime so they can be guaranteed a conviction. I suppose it saves us valuable court time...
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

BGrigg07 wrote:Standard (and to me reprehensible) practice, especially when the prosecutors have a weak case. Throw the book at them and plea bargain for a lesser crime so they can be guaranteed a conviction. I suppose it saves us valuable court time...

Except in this case, he’s pleading guilty to the most serious one.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “Central Okanagan”