Capri Certainty Demanded.....

dle
Lord of the Board

Capri Certainty Demanded.....

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... y-demanded

"There's no question we can provide public access," he said.

As for timing, Mariotto said the plan is for the three towers along Capri Street to be built first, with the fourth and fifth towers along Sutherland Avenue to go next.

"The fourth tower [b]would require the food store to relocate[/b].

Re-locate to where exactly? I think that has to be established before signing on the dotted line. There are a lot of people who are demanding Kelowna go up, not out. There could be some good reasons for that, but in all our haste for height and what is quickly becoming an attitude of "UPpity-ness" one could say, certain critical things are being forgotten or ignored IMHO.

The people on council quite often forget something very prominent about Kelowna. It has to be recognized that Kelowna has a very LARGE senior population. It is popular with retirees, always has been, and with those who come early in life with a plan to age and retire here. A majority of that senior population is centered, and always has been centered, around the Capri, whether it be in single family housing, or over-55 condo living, or assisted living. One of the mainstays of that area has been, for as long as I can remember having lived here since 1978, a full-size, affordable, grocery store, within walking distance. So, are the powers that be ensuring those seniors will have a NEW trade-name grocery store to shop at? It sounds like they are just doing away with what is now Independent Grocers. The seniors mostly walk to the grocery store, most don't drive. Not to take anything away from the nice store that it is, but Nesters, the next closest food store, is a small, more boutique-type store which may or may not offer the lowest prices due to its size and scope and is also another couple blocks away from Sutherland, where a good number of seniors reside. Not all seniors can afford to live in the "cruise-ship" retirement villages that offer daily shuttle services to the shops. A good number still have to hoof it.

Mayor Basran is all for it - the plan - he likes it. That alone puts up red flags for me because if HE likes it, most times I don't, because he and I don't see eye to eye on much of anything - just personal opinion of course - when it comes to height around here. He is more concerned, quite rightly if history is any indication, that the City gets what it agrees to, not what the developer actually just goes ahead and builds whether approved or not. While that issue is important to me as well and is one thing on which he and I agree, I am more concerned that Kelowna does not force people out, or into circumstances that are a hardship for them - people who have built this City with their tax money all these years - in favour of "height" and models only the very wealthy can afford. We seem to be very quickly developing a very willy-nilly "out with the old, in with the new" mentality with nothing but the sky's the limit. I think we need to wave the caution flag here because not all "new" is necessarily good, and not all "old" is necessarily bad.

This whole City is very soon going to be "under construction" for years to come. It's aready started. Construction is a fantastic idea and the only way to "grow" a community. It's just irreversible once done so we have to be very, very sure it's the direction (no pun intended) we want to go and that we are not leaving half our population in the dust.

Then, there is the beautiful low-rise (5 or 6 story), and I'm going to say probably "actually affordable", condo complex suggested for Clement, being viewed "too high" for the neighbourhood by certain councillors. Say what, now? Let's at least use SOME common sense, failing all else.
delSol97
Board Meister

Re: Capri Certainty Demanded.....

Post by delSol97 »

It's pretty funny that they seem to just rubber stamp monster condos and more strip malls that no one wants, but they are weary of someone building an ice rink because it's not clear if it's public, semi-private or private.

:135:
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

LOL seniors will starve is IG closes? Yeah, right.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

This is the same company that owns Prospera and is going to develop the parking lot at Prospera.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Is that parking lot development at Prospera for real? Where exactly are they going to ask you to park?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

The Master Plan includes a new location for the grocery store, retention of the hotel, and new retail and commercial spaces along with residential.

https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... ntId=12524
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

TMBOkanagan wrote:The Master Plan includes a new location for the grocery store, retention of the hotel, and new retail and commercial spaces along with residential.

https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... ntId=12524

Thanks for posting this - looks interesting! While I am happy to see the grocery store included in the "Plan"...you know how plans go around here! I am cautiously optimistic that there will be one, but what we are told we will get and what we actually get are two different things. Developers fudge the planning stage to tell council what they want to hear, get their foot in the door and their build permit in hand, then do what they damn well please. Some feel it's ok to just go ahead with something and later ask for foregiveness if permission isn't forthcoming. There needs to be a SEVERE consequence for those developers who think they run things around here and that permits are only meant for others.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

looks nice, love the hockey rink :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

dle wrote: Some feel it's ok to just go ahead with something and later ask for foregiveness if permission isn't forthcoming.

Sounds like campaign promises...
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

mexi cali wrote:Is that parking lot development at Prospera for real? Where exactly are they going to ask you to park?

it has been in the works for years and is common knowledge. The small parking lot is the only one they were obligated to have and meeting zoning requirements.

gonna have to park further and walk, its good for you!
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

mexi cali wrote:Is that parking lot development at Prospera for real? Where exactly are they going to ask you to park?

One of the two parkades with in a block.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Yes, but if I can't park right next to where I'm going the world will end. It will be worse than the plague. Oh, the humanity!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

tell that to the people with physical disabilities
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

As for developing Prospera parking lot, it is one of the most illogical ideas I have heard in a long while - guarantee it will be a problem.

There is already a serious lack of parking in downtown Kelowna, that is obvious to anyone who goes there during the summer months.

Who's idea is this and why?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Because_They_Lie wrote:As for developing Prospera parking lot, it is one of the most illogical ideas I have heard in a long while - guarantee it will be a problem.

There is already a serious lack of parking in downtown Kelowna, that is obvious to anyone who goes there during the summer months.

Who's idea is this and why?

*removed*
There are two empty parking structures with in a block that sit empty during rockets games.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 18th, 2018, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal

Return to “Central Okanagan”