Kelowna gas break- capital

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Kelowna gas break- capital

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#224272 shocker-not- :200: no big surprise with all the useless fly by night contractors in this town
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Kelowna gas break- capital

Post by Jlabute »

Probably. Lots of do-it-yourselfers. Heck, even yesterday my neighbor who is an AirBnB, got an old fella (hired or family, don't know) to trim a filbert tree which straddles the property line, and the first thing the old man did was crack a 35' branch on to the top of my garage. Funny thing is, before he started, I approached him, said "Hi", and I let him know that I felled a large dead trunk last year that reached all the way across my yard when it was down... just to tell ya' bub that these trunks are looong! You'd think that would had been a heads up. It's not as though I know anything about cutting trees either and I think this guy new less than me.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

The call before you dig feature for locating gas lines works great.
I emailed and in a day or two had a decent set of plans where the line to the house and street main was. As a matter of fact it came in handy yesterday when a water main broke in front of the house and my map came in handy before the digging started to repair the water line.
No reason other than laziness and stupidity not to get a sketch/ map from Fortis. The service works.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the fact that they just bury gas lines at whatever depth they want doesnt help i have seen them less than 6 inches in the ground, stupid that there is no set depth, a homeowner with a shovel can easily hit one
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

LTD wrote:the fact that they just bury gas lines at whatever depth they want doesnt help i have seen them less than 6 inches in the ground, stupid that there is no set depth, a homeowner with a shovel can easily hit one

wow really :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

We were roto tilling a front lawn down to a depth of about 5" a few years back and hit a gas line. The gas rep advised us that we had to call before we dig. We were not digging just surface roto tilling. When questioned on depth of line he said there was no rule and it was up to the customer to avoid the lines. Maybe there is a criteria for mainlines but seems none for lines to a residence.

There needs to be, just like power lines, a minimum depth and tape marker in the trench.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Broken gas line on Sexsmith near Timmy Hoes this morning on the way to work. Must of been hit with excavator.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
butthead

Post by butthead »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-224272-1-.htm#224272 shocker-not- :200: no big surprise with all the useless fly by night contractors in this town

so true
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

trapp wrote:We were roto tilling a front lawn down to a depth of about 5" a few years back and hit a gas line. The gas rep advised us that we had to call before we dig. We were not digging just surface roto tilling. When questioned on depth of line he said there was no rule and it was up to the customer to avoid the lines. Maybe there is a criteria for mainlines but seems none for lines to a residence.

There needs to be, just like power lines, a minimum depth and tape marker in the trench.

I'd actually be interested to hear from someone qualified what the rule for buried gas lines is.

Years ago while working in construction in Saskatchewan, the regulations were very clear a gas line had to be 18" down, and you weren't allowed to backfill the trench until the inspector saw it and gave you the go ahead to cover it up.

I've not seen that here, but what I have seen is one home where the plastic gas line running to the pool heater was actually laying on the surface of the ground under their rear deck. With that kind of ridiculous work, and the example of hitting a line with a rototiller at 5" it's little wonder there are so many issues around here.

Time to get some inspectors to earn their living.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

the truth wrote:
LTD wrote:the fact that they just bury gas lines at whatever depth they want doesnt help i have seen them less than 6 inches in the ground, stupid that there is no set depth, a homeowner with a shovel can easily hit one

wow really :200:

sorry that I didn't respond earlier, and this is old news from another province.
However I worked for a large road construction company from 1998 until 2002 in Alberta.
One of our machines hit a gas line pretty much every day. They were often just covered with a very light layer of gravel, less than 2 inches.

Since the companies and land owners pay insane repair costs I don't think they will correct the issues any time soon.

Return to “Central Okanagan”