A gift of solar power?

Snowbound

Re: A gift of solar power?

Post by Snowbound »

One screw hole through that roof membrane that wasn't properly sealed will cause $20k in damages in short order. Those kinds of leaks are extremely common and go undetected for long periods of time, causing rot to the structure. They better stay on top of the maintenance!

It will pay for itself quicker if the province goes green and adds solar and wind generation to the grid, like was done in Ontario. Think about that for a minute. /sarcasm off :biggrin:
Last edited by Snowbound on Apr 25th, 2018, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I think in Germany there is quite a bit of solar installs that are nearing the 20 year mark..
I will dig a bit.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Snowbound wrote:It will pay for itself quicker if the province goes green and adds solar and wind generation to the grid, like was done in Ontario. Think about that for a minute.

I hardly think Ontario makes for a good example of how to run an electrical grid, unless you're eager to pay three times more for your power than you currently are.

Ontario IS on the other hand, a fantastic example of what NOT to do, when incorporating solar/wind into the system.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Snowbound

Post by Snowbound »

Urban Cowboy wrote:I hardly think Ontario makes for a good example of how to run an electrical grid, unless you're eager to pay three times more for your power than you currently are.

Ontario IS on the other hand, a fantastic example of what NOT to do, when incorporating solar/wind into the system.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Sorry, there is no sarcasm emoji!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Snowbound wrote:One screw hole through that roof membrane that wasn't properly sealed will cause $20k in damages in short order. Those kinds of leaks are extremely common and go undetected for long periods of time, causing rot to the structure. They better stay on top of the maintenance!

It will pay for itself quicker if the province goes green and adds solar and wind generation to the grid, like was done in Ontario. Think about that for a minute.

You should really do some homework (for a minute)................people in Ontario are getting :cuss: over BIGTIME with your way of thinking.................NO :cuss: THANKS!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Snowbound wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:I hardly think Ontario makes for a good example of how to run an electrical grid, unless you're eager to pay three times more for your power than you currently are.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Sorry, there is no sarcasm emoji!

Oh OK that makes more sense then.

You are correct there's no sarcasm emojii but what people often do in that case is after the end of their text they'll put "/sarcasm"
that tends to avoid any confusion. :D
Snowbound

Post by Snowbound »

lesliepaul wrote:
You should really do some homework (for a minute)................people in Ontario are getting :cuss: over BIGTIME with your way of thinking.................NO :cuss: THANKS!

Sarcasm was lost in translation. My apologies!

Yes, Ontario is getting f'd over big time, to the point the government not only subsided the industry, but is now subsidizing the citizens hydro bills.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Snowbound wrote:Yes, Ontario is getting f'd over big time, to the point the government not only subsided the industry, but is now subsidizing the citizens hydro bills.

The part that concerns me is, one would think that with Ontario such a scary example of what can happen, when you go about solar/wind the wrong way, that everyone would take note, and be ever so cautious when considering those forms of power, yet the eco warriors here just don't get it, and still keep pushing for those forms every chance they get.

We've got enough to worry about with the NDP at the helm currently, and the last thing we need is power bills like Ontario, and the government subsidizing those power bills. Not too sure how exactly that's supposed to work, given that the people are the ones giving government the money to operate. All I know it's not good. Oh and as an added bonus all sorts of people living beside those windmills, are dealing with health issues that weren't present prior.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Isn't our tier two rate like one tenth cent / kw under Ontario's peak use rate?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
toomuchstuff55

Post by toomuchstuff55 »

I believe SOLAR PANELS are waaaay over-priced. They should be a MANDATORY installment on any newly-built home (at least a couple panels in a discreet area on a part of the roof)...but I am sure Fortis wouldn't like that policy. This is just like auto CAR-DASH-CAMS...that were ONCE a b-zillion dollars,...now one can get offa' Amazon for mere sheckels. This latter example should be a MANSATORY INSTALLMENT on any new car in Canada. Jus sayin.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#264506

Where is the righteous indignant outrage over the solar project that has just been approved in Alberta?

100,000 homes will be getting solar generated electricity soon. :biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

It says it is to utilize 2.5 million photovoltaic solar panels erected on about 1,600 hectares of mainly cultivated cropland.

Great idea.... perhaps not

However, if Alberta's principal source of electricity is from the burning of thermal coal, alternatives may be warranted.
Me thinks though the $500 million for this project might be a good start for a nuclear power option. Then electricity is available at night as well.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

The primary reason for Ontario's high rates is that it produces to much electricity and then has to pay to sell it to the US. I know this as I have actively worked with Hydro One to find ways of trying to reduce amount of electricity that is produced. One current idea is to convert it into hydrogen for saving during high demand hours.

Solar farms are still on the books and many of them are paid off in 5 to 8 years (not sure about the accounting but that is the payback period to the investors here). The main issue with wind and solar farms as been how generation capacity changes, so you cannot push as much electricity through the system as the wires cannot take the spikes. Some universities are working on mega inverters or using solar panels themselves to be inverters to try and stabilise this.

Ontario is definitely not the province to look at regarding establishing policies on green energy. But it does show that solar can be profitable as a business and generator of electricity.

Regarding the main topic, its great to see a business helping out and donating their labour and material for this! Hopefully this leads to reduced bills and increased funds to help the community. Its a win, win for all.
Last edited by AlienSoldier on Aug 28th, 2019, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Is this a good idea, and good for Alberta taxpayers and consumers? Let's see.

It's being built by a private corporation at no cost to the taxpayers.

The electricity will be sold at the going rate.

Peak capacity is 400 megawatts at a cost of $500 million.

How does this cost compare to Site 'C" in BC?

The dam's peak capacity is 1,100 megawatts and the cost is currently projected to be $11 - $12 billion funded by the taxpayers.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

crookedmember wrote:Is this a good idea, and good for Alberta taxpayers and consumers? Let's see.

It's being built by a private corporation at no cost to the taxpayers.

The electricity will be sold at the going rate.

Peak capacity is 400 megawatts at a cost of $500 million.

How does this cost compare to Site 'C" in BC?

The dam's peak capacity is 1,100 megawatts and the cost is currently projected to be $11 - $12 billion funded by the taxpayers.

Site C is still worth doing. Solar isnt going to work that well here. Plus we still have the issue of storage for solar power. It only works well in the daytime.

I think this Alberta project is great. Alberta has always lead the way in private investment. Energy production and low tax rates. This is a win win for Alberta.

Return to “Central Okanagan”