Develop the ALR?

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Develop the ALR?

Post by LANDM »

Thinktank wrote:
And we have wineries now. :up: :up: And not much else. The ALR never did much good for any of us. Well, except for the Bennett family and other super rich guys, who made a fortune.

And people that buy cheap fishing camps that are in the ALR, get the land removed from the ALR and make a fortune from it.
You and 71 others Like this post
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Thinktank wrote: And we have wineries now. :up: :up: And not much else. The ALR never did much good for any of us. Well, except for the Bennett family and other super rich guys, who made a fortune.

But what's the solution?

Exactly.

The very opposite of the intention of the ALR is what we have been left with.

At the end of the day, a series of lackey Kelowna city councils, as steered by a cabal of the uber wealthy, has destroyed the agriculture businesses here and supplanted it all with an ongoing real estate deal that only a very few cabalists are able to have extremely profited from.

A cabal whose methods and techniques are proven, over the years, to be ruthless, malevolent, greedy and many cases illegal.

Who has been monitoring all this dabbling with the ALR?

Who has the wealth and direct political influence to twist the system in their favor?

Where are all the new ALR lands replacing all the ALR lands being absconded with by the cabalists?

http://www.refbc.com/

Hmmm...

Curious how a Bennett managed to enact legislation that allows itself to make money off of your money with no return to you. Money which is then turned into bribery/lobby monies used to get ALR lands they and theirs own, magically excluded from the ALR.

Curious how this same Bennett was convicted of stock manipulation a few years later but this shill refbc corporation manages to keep stealing money from British Columbians and no seems aware of this.

Curious how a cabal born billionare$$ seems fascinated with monitoring all discussion on this topic.

I'd say it's long overdue that we have a public inquiry into just exactly what has been happening with the ALR and ALC.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ESV

Can't hide from the guilt of your benefactors forever LANDM...
Nedroj
Übergod

Re: Do away with the ALR

Post by Nedroj »

Catri wrote:Everytime someone suggests that the ALR is dispensable I think about the Glenmore ALR release and how badly the city and developers screwed that up in their zeal to convert what had been a lovely valley into a wall to wall carpet of little boxes. It took decades to fix the mistakes that were made out there. Little has changed at City Hall since then, our civic government with it's perpetual hard-on for development of any kind can not be trusted with our farmland.

If you knew any history of Kelowna you would know that Glenmore had a nickname way back when it was all orchards and farms. It was called "Starvation Flats" because the frost would routinely damage or destroy their crops leading to some very hard years for the people attempting to make a living there. This is why all of lower glenmore was allowed to be developed, where as the upper elevations of glenmore around Dilworth Mountain are still in the ALR. Also if you havent been made aware of but the entire Apple business in the okanagan went to sh*!s years ago when we started to compete with washington apples. Hence why many apple farms have switched over to grapes and cherries.

Other ways around the ALR "no develop" rules besides applying for removal are to build a golf course, winery, or an inheritance based subdivision. I say; Let the people who own ALR land make the choice on what they want to do with their property. The agriculture aspect of the okanagan is not why this place is a tourist destination. Yes everyone likes cherries, apples and peaches but lets be honest, we all live here (and tourists all travel here) for the hot summers, mild winters, golf courses, sandy beaches, multiple world class ski resorts, the slew of clean lakes and numerous wineries.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Terris wrote:Can't hide from the guilt of your benefactors forever LANDM...

Thanks for your continuing obsession......really. In a different universe it would be flattering.

But in this one, my responses have been getting deleted so I will just leave it at saying, why the continual obfuscation?

Just say what you are trying to say, £@££¥. Is it because I know you but you are left floundering? :smt045

As for your attempted history lesson on the glenmore ALR, you seem to only be able to paint in broad brushstrokes as your details are definitely "fuzzy" to say the least. Timing and names are nowhere near accurate, but I didn’t expect anything else.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

If ones property is not big enough for farm status (.8 hectare) it should be an automatic out of the ALR.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Catri wrote:Everytime someone suggests that the ALR is dispensable I think about the Glenmore ALR release and how badly the city and developers screwed that up in their zeal to convert what had been a lovely valley into a wall to wall carpet of little boxes. It took decades to fix the mistakes that were made out there. Little has changed at City Hall since then, our civic government with it's perpetual hard-on for development of any kind can not be trusted with our farmland.

Exactly!! :up:

Nedroj wrote:If you knew any history of Kelowna you would know that Glenmore had a nickname way back when it was all orchards and farms. It was called "Starvation Flats" because the frost would routinely damage or destroy their crops leading to some very hard years for the people attempting to make a living there. This is why all of lower glenmore was allowed to be developed, where as the upper elevations of glenmore around Dilworth Mountain are still in the ALR. Also if you havent been made aware of but the entire Apple business in the okanagan went to sh*!s years ago when we started to compete with washington apples. Hence why many apple farms have switched over to grapes and cherries.

Other ways around the ALR "no develop" rules besides applying for removal are to build a golf course, winery, or an inheritance based subdivision.

This photo from the past shows otherwise...

https://www.facebook.com/OldKelowna/pho ... 78/?type=3

The apple business went to :cuss: specifically because the balance between having enough land base to compete with Washington fruit industry was tilted by the Bennett cabalists when they began turning ALR lands into their own personal fortune.

The volume of fruit necessary to compete with Washington was severely and deliberately diminished by this cabal due to their absconding with ALR lands.

An investigation needs to be down as to what happened to the thousands of acres of ALR land that has been bulldozed over in Glenmore.

What arable agriculture lands have been set aside to replace the loss of these thousands of acres of productive ALR land in Glenmore??

If you knew any history of Kelowna you wouldn't have posted this cabalist inspired drivel.

Truth is, the glacial till soils in Glenmore were best and ideally suited for agriculture once irrigation was brought in.

There are hundreds of Glenmore residents who regret paying so much for their homes there, and who are now dealing with cracking, shifting foundations and sinkhole issues once these lands were turned into the residential mess it is today.

Is the developer stepping up to mitigate these ongoing problems for these duped homeowners?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

1nick wrote:If ones property is not big enough for farm status (.8 hectare) it should be an automatic out of the ALR.

If your land has been compromised by fill, is too steep or too small for viable agriculture then it should be excluded from the ALR.
Problem is it would contract the ALR land base and that apparently is not a good thing.
Waste not
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Terris wrote:
The apple business went to :cuss: specifically because the balance between having enough land base to compete with Washington fruit industry was tilted by the Bennett cabalists when they began turning ALR lands into their own personal fortune.
The volume of fruit necessary to compete with Washington was severely and deliberately diminished by this cabal due to their absconding with ALR lands.

No, there was *never* enough land to compete, volume-wise, with Washington state. It is costs that made us uncompetitive. Your lack of knowledge of the fruit industry is apparent.

An investigation needs to be down as to what happened to the thousands of acres of ALR land that has been bulldozed over in Glenmore.

Actually, an investigation need to happen to see how ALR land in the Monashees was removed so the owner could profit on the sale.

Truth is, the glacial till soils in Glenmore were best and ideally suited for agriculture once irrigation was brought in.

Says the guy who has never farmed a day in his life.

There are hundreds of Glenmore residents who regret paying so much for their homes there, and who are now dealing with cracking, shifting foundations and sinkhole issues once these lands were turned into the residential mess it is today.

Really? Please quote your source for this. There are thousands of happy Glenmore residents who, by their actions, have bought there, made homes for their families there, and have zero regrets because they maintain the area as their family home and neighbourhood. Your continued bleak outlook is without merit.

AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

You can't complain about the cost of housing, the fact that everyone needs to drive and the roads are all backed up if you create a city that is checkered with spots of farmland. A family of 5 living on 5 acres is not a feasible solution to large Cities as it takes more resources to get them what they need (water, internet, electricity, roads, lights, sewer) than they will ever get back in taxes.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

AlienSoldier wrote:You can't complain about the cost of housing, the fact that everyone needs to drive and the roads are all backed up if you create a city that is checkered with spots of farmland. A family of 5 living on 5 acres is not a feasible solution to large Cities as it takes more resources to get them what they need (water, internet, electricity, roads, lights, sewer) than they will ever get back in taxes.

Dont u live in Toronto.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Nedroj wrote:If you knew any history of Kelowna you would know that Glenmore had a nickname way back when it was all orchards and farms. It was called "Starvation Flats" because the frost would routinely damage or destroy their crops leading to some very hard years for the people attempting to make a living there. This is why all of lower glenmore was allowed to be developed, where as the upper elevations of glenmore around Dilworth Mountain are still in the ALR. Also if you havent been made aware of but the entire Apple business in the okanagan went to sh*!s years ago when we started to compete with washington apples. Hence why many apple farms have switched over to grapes and cherries.

Other ways around the ALR "no develop" rules besides applying for removal are to build a golf course, winery, or an inheritance based subdivision. I say; Let the people who own ALR land make the choice on what they want to do with their property. The agriculture aspect of the okanagan is not why this place is a tourist destination. Yes everyone likes cherries, apples and peaches but lets be honest, we all live here (and tourists all travel here) for the hot summers, mild winters, golf courses, sandy beaches, multiple world class ski resorts, the slew of clean lakes and numerous wineries.

No, I understand the history. I wasn't referring to the quality of the soil in Glenmore, although there were viable farms out there. I was referring to the gong show way the city mishandled the development of the valley. I was here. The city seemed to have no idea how to develop it in a livable way, so the area ended up ridiculously short on amenities. They're still catching up to this day.
The bottom line is I would not trust City Hall with overseeing and regulating the development of any ALR land.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Catri wrote:The bottom line is I would not trust City Hall with overseeing and regulating the development of any ALR land.

Then you should be very pleased that they have zero to do with that.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

LANDM wrote:
Catri wrote:The bottom line is I would not trust City Hall with overseeing and regulating the development of any ALR land.

Then you should be very pleased that they have zero to do with that.

City Hall has zero to do with development on land that's been removed from the ALR? Wow. That IS news. Silly me, I've been labouring under the illusion that the City is responsible for planning, zoning, inspections, etc. So who, if not the City, oversees all that?
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

Try and get land excluded out of the ALR without the consent of City Hall even if the ALC gives the thumbs up. If you think the ALR is controlled by the ALC you'd better take a closer look. What ever you do don't waste your money on all the applications, which can be considerable, talk to someone with authority in the planning department, if they give you a unofficial thumbs up, then proceed. If there is any indication that it would not be supported within the planning department, save your money. They make the decisions.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Catri wrote:
LANDM wrote:Then you should be very pleased that they have zero to do with that.

City Hall has zero to do with development on land that's been removed from the ALR? Wow. That IS news. Silly me, I've been labouring under the illusion that the City is responsible for planning, zoning, inspections, etc. So who, if not the City, oversees all that?

Land that's been removed from the ALR is *NOT* ALR land. Please read what you stated and what I said.

Of course the city is responsible for all of the things you mentioned. But, they are NOT responsible for *overseeing and regulating the development of any ALR land".

Why don't people read????? :135:

Return to “Central Okanagan”