Tourism Kelowna Now Attacking Local Entrepenuers

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Tourism Kelowna Now Attacking Local Entrepenuers

Post by WalterWhite »

A recent news story in a local paper highlights the fact Tourism Kelowna is planning to be the "TicketMaster" of local attractions, putting them in direct competition with it's own members. How can they be permitted to offer tickets to attractions they do not own without obtaining authorization from the actual companies they're selling tickets for? Maybe I'll start offering lift tickets for Big White online, and tell them I expect a commission from them for every ticket I sell....

At issue is the fact Tourism Kelowna is going to start selling tickets for activities online and at the new visitor information centre when it opens this summer on the downtown waterfront.

Just 50 metres south of that site is the Downtown Marina kiosk that sells tickets to on-site activities, the aforementioned Ogopogo Parasail and Jetboat Adventures, Downtown Marina's boat and jetski rentals, Kelowna Flyboard, Kelowna Cruises, Luxury Lake Tours and Maeg's BBQ Boats.

Since 50 per cent of those seven businesses' sales comes from walk-up traffic to the kiosk, the attractions stand to lose a big chunk of that to Tourism Kelowna's new ticket service.

"I pay a premium to have my boats right here in the water at the Downtown Marina and to sell tickets at the on-site kiosk," said Weller.

"Sure, Tourism Kelowna says it will sell tickets for me, but I'll have to pay a commission. However, they will also sell tickets for every attraction in Kelowna, effectively giving every attraction the same prime waterfront location that I pay a premium for. It's unfair and puts Tourism Kelowna in direct competition with us, its members."

OkanaganAdventures.com is also upset.

It sells tickets online for various adventure companies.

"Absolutely not, I don't want Tourism Kelowna to get into selling tickets. It will put Tourism Kelowna in 100 per cent direct competition with me. It would hurt me, the very member they are supposed to be helping."

The consortium wanted to meet Tourism Kelowna's board of directors to express their concern and have the ticket-booking proposal quashed.

However, Tourism Kelowna said a meeting wasn't necessary because it was going ahead with the ticket booking service.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Tourism Kelowna Now Attacking Local Entrepenuers

Post by Even Steven »

May be it's time to surrender the membership.
66Bayflight

Post by 66Bayflight »

This is a prime example of why government should not be allowed to be mixed with business. Here are two entrepreneurs who have developed successful enterprises while risking their own capital and potentially their own retirement savings. Now a city funded entity is set to enter into their market and unfairly utilize tax payers dollars to drive small businesses out of our economy.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

TK never listens to anyone opposing their agenda.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

This is another example of the corrupt civil government you all voted in last election. This is a direct conflict and violation of the principles of what the Kelowna Tourism should stand for. They are a marketing agency, marketing the enterprises of their members. Now they want a piece of the cake all the hard working individuals and members of their society created. It is fundamentaly currupt in some ways and should not come to pass.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Simple solution, just tell TK if they wish to pre-buy the attraction tickets they are quite welcome to sell them at the visitor centre. IF TK does not agree to these terms, refuse to honour any non-authentic tickets sending the purchasers back to TK for a refund. That ought to give TK a credibility problem.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

fz6adventure wrote:Simple solution, just tell TK if they wish to pre-buy the attraction tickets they are quite welcome to sell them at the visitor centre. IF TK does not agree to these terms, refuse to honour any non-authentic tickets sending the purchasers back to TK for a refund. That ought to give TK a credibility problem.

That’s a great, and very simple solution.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Problem with simple solutions are it doesn't give people the opportunity to rant about it.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Mtn Biker wrote:This is another example of the corrupt civil government you all voted in last election. This is a direct conflict and violation of the principles of what the Kelowna Tourism should stand for. They are a marketing agency, marketing the enterprises of their members. Now they want a piece of the cake all the hard working individuals and members of their society created. It is fundamentaly currupt in some ways and should not come to pass.

'You all' and "another example"

Pretty sure not everyone on this forum voted for them so attacking everyone kind of discredits your pist right off the bat.

And another example? Its like henny penny pointing out the sky is falling. Are the end times coming too?
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Graphite wrote:
'You all' and "another example"

Pretty sure not everyone on this forum voted for them so attacking everyone kind of discredits your pist right off the bat.

And another example? Its like henny penny pointing out the sky is falling. Are the end times coming too?

There are two points to my comment. You all is a euphemism if that escapes you. Second, why not comment on the point of the thread - do you think KT should be competing directly with their members as the story says?? Get over your corrective impulse and answer the question.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Killingsworth, your B.S. spin talk is not fooling people.
Why not try listening to the Kelowna citizens, and take care of your members..... not stab them in the back..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

fz6adventure wrote:Simple solution, just tell TK if they wish to pre-buy the attraction tickets they are quite welcome to sell them at the visitor centre. IF TK does not agree to these terms, refuse to honour any non-authentic tickets sending the purchasers back to TK for a refund. That ought to give TK a credibility problem.

Using customers as foot soldiers in a business dispute doesn't seem fair to the customer.

Sending a group back to get a refund and re-purchase the tickets really kills the spending $$$ mood.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:TK never listens to anyone opposing their agenda.

Left a bad review on their FB page last night about this bullying of their "customers" and boy OH boy did I get a message" from said site this morning about " community standards" ..

And all I said was " For shame" ... So , again , FOR SHAME Tourism Kelowna . You may have the support of some but I'd be willing to bet that there are more people like me out there who are going to do EVERYTHING they can to avoid you .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Vacancyrate wrote:
fz6adventure wrote:Simple solution, just tell TK if they wish to pre-buy the attraction tickets they are quite welcome to sell them at the visitor centre.

Using customers as foot soldiers in a business dispute doesn't seem fair to the customer.

Sending a group back to get a refund and re-purchase the tickets really kills the spending $$$ mood.

Perhaps have another read of the solution. It is in the hands of TK as they are such good marketers they should have no difficulty with pre purchasing the attraction tickets.

Return to “Central Okanagan”