Rutland should split from Kelowna

neroas
Fledgling

Re: Rutland should split from Kelowna

Post by neroas »

JayByrd wrote:I'm sold. How does a community even go about doing this?

Where there is a will there is a way. I'm sure it would require getting the better part of Rutland behind it by realizing the benefits. :D
BGrigg07

Post by BGrigg07 »

I have some questions for all those in favour of Rutland splitting off from Kelowna. How many inefficient governments do we need? Any idea of the cost of administration? Do we really need to add even more bureaucrats to the tax troughs?

Rutland is doing fine being apart of Kelowna!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Well, they've already got an in for a catchy campaign slogan - "Rutland - Straight Outta Kelowna"
BGrigg07

Post by BGrigg07 »

WalterWhite wrote:Well, they've already got an in for a catchy campaign slogan - "Rutland - Straight Outta Kelowna"

Snicker! :biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif]
neroas
Fledgling

Post by neroas »

BGrigg07 wrote:I have some questions for all those in favour of Rutland splitting off from Kelowna. How many inefficient governments do we need? Any idea of the cost of administration? Do we really need to add even more bureaucrats to the tax troughs?

And do you live in Rutland?

If Rutland becomes it's own city? One, that actually serves the City of Rutland. Adding? No, if Rutland is a seperate city, what does it matter? Kelowna taxes would go to Kelowna, Rutland Taxes would go to Rutland and fund/admin respectively. Rutland could be much more efficient and realistic on it's own.
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

I have some questions for all those in favour of Rutland splitting off from Kelowna. How many inefficient governments do we need? Any idea of the cost of administration? Do we really need to add even more bureaucrats to the tax troughs?

^This. As much as I want to see better representation for Rutland residents, I don't think we need another layer of bureaucracy. How is West Kelowna doing since they split apart?- Tax dollars going to the council, building new a new city hall... Are residents benefiting?
Ward system representation would be great to see.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

kelbear25 wrote:

^This. As much as I want to see better representation for Rutland residents, I don't think we need another layer of bureaucracy. How is West Kelowna doing since they split apart?- Tax dollars going to the council, building new a new city hall... Are residents benefiting?
Ward system representation would be great to see.

I would have to agree. With a tax base so spread out a Ward system really would be the simplest to implement in the hope of having more balanced representation.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

So how do the other 7 (?) areas get fair representation with a ward system?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
jodester

Post by jodester »

If Rutland does become it's own city, I think that a name upgrade is in order.

Rutworld for the win!
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

neroas wrote:It is clear that City of Kelowna is downtown serving only, Rutland is the red headed step child, let them have their downtown and break Rutland from Kelowna. Rutland would be better served. :130:

City Of Rutland :up:

First, you should investigate what it would cost the new taxpayers in the City of Rutland.
  • Business and commerce pay 2 - 3 times more taxes per square metre than residential.
    Does Rutland have a sufficient tax base?
  • Roads and policing are your biggest costs. What condition are your roads in?
  • What are the present costs for policing?
  • Fines are gathered into a melting pot in Victoria and using a complex formula, money from Fines goes to communities - what would your cut be? (May only be used for crime prevention programs).
  • You need city property to house your yardworks and utility offices and equipment needs - do you have your own?
  • Roads, being your biggest expense, needs upgrading and constant maintenance. Kelowna has a huge roads deficit, and growing. Rutland is included in that. Are you ready to pick up that debt where they screwed up?
  • The airport, Orchard Park and other huge retail and commercial footprints pay enormous amounts of taxes. Does Rutland have an airport, and similarly large taxpayers? Is Kelowna willing to share the the airport windfalls?
  • Fire protection services are mandatory. Rutland would need to do the same that First Nations does in West Kelowna - rent those services from - the City, or do you want to take that over and maintrain the wages, equipment and property? Is Rutland ready for that?
and on the list goes. Sidewalks, storm drains, curbs gutters, safety lighting, including street lights, stop lights, drainage, sewage treatment, snow-removal, hospital, ambulance, cross-jurisdictional roadway, maintenance, and similar service agreements are not free; and what about liquid and solid waste management, dog control, weed control, and parks etcerta that are provided by yet another government - CORD (AKA RDCO)?

You will need a municipal hall, or as Westsiders turned down, a Doug Mahal? It will need a load of bureaucrats (AKA "Staff", "Officials", and "Officers" (not the RCMP kind)) - can Rutland afford them? You'll need yardworks equipment and even the cost of putting "City of Rutland" on them all is nuts. Unless like the Westside, you change your name three times then the auto body people will love you and the taxpayers hate you.

Rutland cannot afford becoming a 'have-not' community. You need to elect people, not politicians and then you need a big flame and hold their feet to that fire and have a big tin can for handouts from the feds and province. Else, your taxes will go through the roof - if one could still afford to have one over their heads.

Jim - just sayin...
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Hey......IF they want to go.....then GO. Don't let the screen door hit ya where gawd split ya on the way out.

If you want police services, you pay for them.
If you want Fire services, you pay for them.

Of course you will need a new city hall and all the elected officials to run your city, you can pay for them too.
You want sewer and waste treatment? You pay for them.

Park services?
Schools and all that is required to maintain them?
By-laws?
Water?
Cost of street lights?
Road maintenance?

Yeah, you pay for them too. Good luck, shall I pack you a lunch before you go?
Bring back the LIKE button.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Jim Dixon wrote:[*]The airport, Orchard Park and other huge retail and commercial footprints pay enormous amounts of taxes. Does Rutland have an airport, and similarly large taxpayers? Is Kelowna willing to share the the airport windfalls?

This was in the back of my mind since this discussion started. One of the big (if not only) reasons Kelowna annexed Rutland to begin with, was to add the airport and the former Hiram Walker distillery to the tax base. I can't imagine that if Rutland were to split off, that they'd be permitted to take YLW's taxes with them.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

On the other hand and maybe contrary to my last post of my opinion.

Rutland, British Columbia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rutland
neighbourhood
File:Winter Afternoon in Chichester Wetland Park.webm
Winter Afternoon in Chichester Wetland Park
Country Canada
Province British Columbia
Region Okanagan
City Kelowna
Coordinates 49°54′N 119°23′WCoordinates: 49°54′N 119°23′W
Rutland, British Columbia is located in British Columbia Rutland, British Columbia
Location within British Columbia
Rutland is a neighbourhood of the City of Kelowna in the Okanagan region of the Southern Interior of British Columbia, Canada, located on the northeast edge of the city's core.[1] Nearby neighbourhoods include Dilworth, Belgo, Black Mountain, Toovey Heights, Hall Road, Ellison, Central City, and Southeast Kelowna.[2] It is a member of the Osoyoos Division Yale Land District.[1]

The neighbourhood is mostly residential, but also has a thriving business community and Kelowna City council is working with community groups to make plans for revitalization of Rutland Town Centre.

While I was researching I also found this that might be interesting to some.
https://www.crimestoppers.net/crime-maps/

Unfortunately, I lost the other data and links. I will try and find them again.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Rutland struggles to manage it's community park and centre. I can't imagine how it would split from Kelowna and prosper.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

Jim Dixon wrote:
neroas wrote:It is clear that City of Kelowna is downtown serving only, Rutland is the red headed step child, let them have their downtown and break Rutland from Kelowna. Rutland would be better served. :130:

City Of Rutland :up:

First, you should investigate what it would cost the new taxpayers in the City of Rutland.
  • Business and commerce pay 2 - 3 times more taxes per square metre than residential.
    Does Rutland have a sufficient tax base?
  • Roads and policing are your biggest costs. What condition are your roads in?
  • What are the present costs for policing?
  • Fines are gathered into a melting pot in Victoria and using a complex formula, money from Fines goes to communities - what would your cut be? (May only be used for crime prevention programs).
  • You need city property to house your yardworks and utility offices and equipment needs - do you have your own?
  • Roads, being your biggest expense, needs upgrading and constant maintenance. Kelowna has a huge roads deficit, and growing. Rutland is included in that. Are you ready to pick up that debt where they screwed up?
  • The airport, Orchard Park and other huge retail and commercial footprints pay enormous amounts of taxes. Does Rutland have an airport, and similarly large taxpayers? Is Kelowna willing to share the the airport windfalls?
  • Fire protection services are mandatory. Rutland would need to do the same that First Nations does in West Kelowna - rent those services from - the City, or do you want to take that over and maintrain the wages, equipment and property? Is Rutland ready for that?
and on the list goes. Sidewalks, storm drains, curbs gutters, safety lighting, including street lights, stop lights, drainage, sewage treatment, snow-removal, hospital, ambulance, cross-jurisdictional roadway, maintenance, and similar service agreements are not free; and what about liquid and solid waste management, dog control, weed control, and parks etcerta that are provided by yet another government - CORD (AKA RDCO)?

You will need a municipal hall, or as Westsiders turned down, a Doug Mahal? It will need a load of bureaucrats (AKA "Staff", "Officials", and "Officers" (not the RCMP kind)) - can Rutland afford them? You'll need yardworks equipment and even the cost of putting "City of Rutland" on them all is nuts. Unless like the Westside, you change your name three times then the auto body people will love you and the taxpayers hate you.

Rutland cannot afford becoming a 'have-not' community. You need to elect people, not politicians and then you need a big flame and hold their feet to that fire and have a big tin can for handouts from the feds and province. Else, your taxes will go through the roof - if one could still afford to have one over their heads.

Jim - just sayin...

This is Rutland

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Kelown ... 19.3510304
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree

Return to “Central Okanagan”