Why Does Kelowna Hate Astronomy?

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Why Does Kelowna Hate Astronomy?

Post by Glacier »

A lot of the cities are now installing 3000K LEDs instead of 4000K or even the 5000K (blue-ish light) LEDs. The fact is that LEDs can be any colour temperature you want including the ugly orange glow of the HPS streetlights they are replacing (2200K).

Only a complete moron tries to look up at the stars on a street. Go out of town or your backyard for that. Yes, LED streetlights do have house shields to stop light from coming your property, so there is less light on your property = easier to view sky.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Just curious, do you happen to know the LED color temperature Kelowna selected?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jlabute wrote:Just curious, do you happen to know the LED color temperature Kelowna selected?

The original ones installed were 4000K, but I think that the newer ones going in are 3000K. I'm not entirely sure about that. Personally, I like the 4000K ones. 3000K is a warm light; 4000K is more neutral. 5000K is more on the blue end, which is what you'd expect in a garage setting, but not on streets.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Excellent, so I guess we will see :-) I couldn't find the info anywhere.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jlabute wrote:Excellent, so I guess we will see :-) I couldn't find the info anywhere.

There was an RFP posted a couple months back to replace all the lights in Kelowna. I don't remember if it mentioned what colour temperature they wanted.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”