Westside Water Quality Lifts?

logicrules

Re: Westside Water Quality Lifts?

Post by logicrules »

Steve-O wrote:Went biking around the reservoir yesterday and from what I see, I would not expect the ban to be lifted any time soon. It is mud colored and in a few sheltered bays, has pond scum on the surface.

Be nice if the new water treatment facility could be built faster than the speed of bureaucracy.

If only it was that simple! Water treatment plants are not a "one size fits all" solution, so they take time to plan and design. The City is working with a engineering firm now to make sure that the final facility can provide good quality drinking water to residents, even with the last few years of high flows and changing weather patterns.

Do you really want them to spend $50million on a rush job?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Thanks Captain.Well aware of that. Sarcasm doesn't come across well on these boards for some.
logicrules

Post by logicrules »

Lol. Sorry Steve-O - I must not have had enough coffee this morning to be able to properly process sarcasm.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

:up:

I do strongly believe that government projects get slowed by red tape and perhaps mis-managed to a certain degree compared to a private project. Priorities are different. I don't want corners cut and would like to see this project thought through to be able to handle future demands. At the same time, this project has been on the radar for some time now, and through rumor or speculation or something I thought I read, one hurdle I am aware of, is to determine if the facility goes in at the foot of the dam or at the start of the access road. I attend meetings and know members of the board of the local mountain bike trail building group that has conversations with the District and City regarding this as the trails in this area are protected and are part of the equation in this decision.

Part of my mistrust of bureaucracy is seeing a private school built in my old neighborhood back in Calgary. It was being built within a close proximity of a public school going up at the same time. The private school was built quicker (granted it was smaller) and cost per square foot was significantly less. You don't have to go far to find similar examples.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

AltaRed wrote:Just sign up for West Kelowna email notices or follow their FB page. There is information posted a number of times per day.

Added: IIRC, they did report the 'lifts' last year via email notification, and if I don't remember that well, I did read it on Castanet's West Kelowna page.

One can 'subscribe here' and choose which things to be notified about.
No one should have to keep checking their email each time they want a drink of water. The safest way on the Westside is to never drink, wash in, wash food with, hand wash/rinse dishes or brush teeth with anything coming from the tap.

I am concerned for the shut-ins - those people that live alone, don't buy the paper, and only receive the Cap if or when it gets delivered. Many don't have clever phones (no such thing as a "smart" one), or computers and the only way they would know their water is poison if they walk the neighborhood and signs have been put out. Of course, most of those people are seniors and no longer contribute so they are the last anyone seems to care about.

Clearly, the 'city' is doing what it is legally obligated to do in letting people know via news medium and the digitally assimilated.

The updates part of the new site is greatly improved. It should be - lots of money went into keeping the site up-to-date pretty.

Pretty sad state when we have to get up and check several sources just to see if thats water, or coffee in our cups.
j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.

Return to “Central Okanagan”