Water Risk from Mining for Summerland

erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Water Risk from Mining for Summerland

Post by erinmore3775 »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-226103-21-.htm#226103

So much for the promised improvements in transparency for mining applications and respect for community watersheds by the party that now forms the Provincial Government. "

"The municipalities of Summerland and Peachland were not informed of the work prior to its approval, a break from standard practice that typically sees communities that rely on a watershed be consulted about mineral exploration."

"Several drill holes and trenches are planned to be dug in the headwaters of Camp Creek, a tributary of Trout Creek."

"Billed as the “flagship project” of Vancouver-based Troubadour Resources, the provincial government has already approved exploratory work for five mineral claims covering 3,281 hectares just outside Eneas Lakes Provincial Park."

This project is in the watershed that supplies Peachland and Summerland. It has the potential of affecting a relatively pristine watershed. Funny how the current government is willing to listen to imported protestors and basically ignore the legal parameters surrounding the KMPLX, but are totally unwilling to follow existing practices and standards for the development of a new mine in a community watershed. It seems to me that this government spends most of its time protesting and very little time governing for the citizens of the province who live outside the lower mainland.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Water Risk from Mining for Summerland

Post by Jim Dixon »

erinmore3775 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-226103-21-.htm#226103

So much for the promised improvements in transparency for mining applications and respect for community watersheds by the party that now forms the Provincial Government. "

[i]"The municipalities of.............. and
Funny how the current government is willing to listen to imported protestors and basically ignore the legal parameters surrounding the KMPLX, but are totally unwilling to follow existing practices and standards for the development of a new mine in a community watershed. It seems to me that this government spends most of its time protesting and very little time governing for the citizens of the province who live outside the lower mainland.

There is nothing worse than using the mine issue to flame ..."the current government" and blaming them for the things you don't like. Remember in 1992 when the issue was raised regarding cadmium/molybdenum(?) from the tailing pond? Remember too which government "party" set the parameters for the mine tailing pond? Using "It seems to me"... won't cut it with mature readers. As they say, the 'proof is in the pudding', not innuendos and tabloid-style finger-pointing.

That aside, your concerns are very valid. I agree with your concern over the mine, but your approach sucks.
I remember doing a great deal of the research for those opposing the pond scheme and remember how money, not brains, brought the issue to where it is today. I urge you to do some research and fight back with real hard-core data, suggestions and science, not baseless washed-up opinions blaming a government that had nothing to say about it in the past. Regulations are hard to change - especially when there is federal and corporate money supporting the mine.

Suggestion: Get some people together, form a organization, get some data behind you, and stand at the front lines with government and corporations with your scientific data and demand participation in the process. It worked that way in the past, still does, and always will. They don't read Forums.

Good luck tho,

j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Seriously worried about acid leaching from a few drill holes? I'm here tell you that we have thousands of KM's of logging roads and rock cuts on highways with more Acid Rock Drainage (ARD) than could be leached from every mine in BC. Where was everyone when the FSR was constructed that runs right through the middle of that mining area.

I'm not saying that it is not or I am not concerned but it is minuscule to what we have with road construction here in BC, particularly in logging road construction.

Seems every mine is protested where compared to logging the mining resource is such a small footprint on the land.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

trapp wrote:......
Where was everyone when the FSR was constructed that runs right through the middle of that mining area.

Holding back the molybdenum maybe? - - - Sorry, lost control for a minute, but to your point above; do a lot of these kinds of issues; logging, clean water, clean air, mining, "ARD" and such settle down once the industry has changed and mended much of their ways. Sure, it cost them a lot of money to adhere to public demands via protest but in the end, it's always the consumer that pays the costs, AKA 'The Public' (sounds like enemy number 1). Maybe the concern now is just how close the ARD is to the lake and runoff to the lake? <--- that's a question. Is it also not one of the concerns of a few? Just askin cause I really don't know...

j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I have a family member who is involved in the environmental aspect of mining, and therefore better qualified than most of us to offer an opinion, so I emailed the link erinmore provided and asked for input.

Here is a copy of the question I asked my relative:
Please read this article and then tell me whether or not you agree with the Engineer's assessment that this mining exploration work could pose a threat to Peachland and Summerland's water supply. Or was the Provincial Government correct when it issued the permits?

Here is the response:
High level and not being very informed, I would say this is relatively low impact, low risk. Drill pads are small, have established setbacks from wet areas, and for the most part are one hole per pad. There are dill rig options that can recirculate water and drill cuttings and pending some unforeseen artisan well conditions I don’t see the significant risk they are referring to. Problem with consultants, just guns for hire, will write whatever they are paid to for the most part. Obviously there are impacts of any mechanized disturbance, and it’s obviously not a positive thing. But in terms of risk, I wouldn’t be concerned if I was an adjacent landowner.

Maybe I am missing something in terms of their work plan, but it sounds pretty straightforward. More likely people are scared they will find something and want to develop it. Just trying to nip it in the bud rely on to clip the projects wings.

Time will tell

Hope that helps.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Central Okanagan”