License plates in the windshield

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: License plates in the windshield

Post by OKkayak »

dodgerdodge wrote:Yeah similar thing happened to me years back after a single vehicle incident on an icy connector. Boyds replaced all parts and re painted as necessary on a BC registered and licenced vehicle yet when i went to collect vehicle there was no front plate or mount. Front plate was apparently missing so i had to get a new pair and wait for them to order mount and fit it. No idea why they would think it was ok to have no front plate or mount on what was clearly a BC vehicle.

Technically, front plate mounts aren't standard equipment anymore, they're an extra you'll see listed on some car dealer sticker sheets. My last two cars that I've purchased here, I had to ask for the mount and was provided to me at no charge, but hadn't I asked for one, the dealership would have simply zap strapped the plate to the grill.

How that works with ICBC, I don't know if it would be covered in a claim, same with other dealer installed items. I haven't had to deal with ICBC, so thats just a thought, nothing more.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

4 Provinces & 31 US States require both plates on register vehicle in that province or state.

If these number have changed let me know.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

There was a recent hit and run incident in Kelowna where dash cam video showed a black pickup with no front plate hitting another vehicle in a roundabout and not stopping. Witness said the rear plate was from Alberta but they did not obtain the number. Had there been a front plate, the dash cam footage would have clearly identified the vehicle in question.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

KL3-Something wrote:
RVThereYet wrote:Years ago I has a car without a front plate on it (didn't have proper mount from factory). I kept the "spare" plate in the trunk just in case sort of thing ... I was pulled over in Hope for speeding and the police asked me about my front plate. I showed him I had it but no mount ... in the end he gave me a compliance notice for the front plate (x number of days to get it installed) and a warning for the speeding. Pretty sure if the front plate was mounted, he would have given me the ticket for speeding...

That’s some strange logic, there.

Why? ... had the front plate been mounted, he likely would have written me the ticket for speeding (which is what he pulled me over for in the first place) since there would have been nothing else to write me up for ... maybe he would have given me a warning for speeding anyways, but I doubt it because he told me, "I'll write you up for the plate but I'll give a warning for the speeding" ... I thought it was a nice thing to do and felt he gave me break, I was grateful at the time. Whether you think that's logical or not...
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote:4 Provinces & 31 US States require both plates on register vehicle in that province or state.

If these number have changed let me know.

I do believe its still the same.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

There are some who do not want holes in the front of their virgin Mercedes, BMW, Porsche or whatever they have... keep them as virgin as long as possible.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Jlabute wrote:There are some who do not want holes in the front of their virgin Mercedes, BMW, Porsche or whatever they have... keep them as virgin as long as possible.

KIA, Dodge, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Ford, VW, Audi, Subaru, Chevy and on and on.
Am123

Post by Am123 »

Food for though....

The edges of a license plate are quite sharp, if you're involved in a serious accident and your plate is sitting on your dash, it could mean a bad/worse time for you and any potential passengers.
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

Am123 wrote:Food for though....

The edges of a license plate are quite sharp, if you're involved in a serious accident and your plate is sitting on your dash, it could mean a bad/worse time for you and any potential passengers.

And they can scratch your dash. All in all, a dumb idea, unless you're going for that white trash look for your ride.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

OKkayak wrote:
dodgerdodge wrote:Yeah similar thing happened to me years back after a single vehicle incident on an icy connector. Boyds replaced all parts and re painted as necessary on a BC registered and licenced vehicle yet when i went to collect vehicle there was no front plate or mount. Front plate was apparently missing so i had to get a new pair and wait for them to order mount and fit it. No idea why they would think it was ok to have no front plate or mount on what was clearly a BC vehicle.

Technically, front plate mounts aren't standard equipment anymore, they're an extra you'll see listed on some car dealer sticker sheets. My last two cars that I've purchased here, I had to ask for the mount and was provided to me at no charge, but hadn't I asked for one, the dealership would have simply zap strapped the plate to the grill.

How that works with ICBC, I don't know if it would be covered in a claim, same with other dealer installed items. I haven't had to deal with ICBC, so thats just a thought, nothing more.

Wait, what? You are telling me that front plate mounts are NOT standard on BC registered cars/trucks? Well i can tell you that all three of my vehicles purchased/leased in last 10 years have all had front plates attached to correct front plate mounts. I have never ever seen a dealer zap strap a plate to a grill. You spend big money (no new vehicle is cheap) you are NOT going to accept a zap strapped plate and certainly not on your 100k Mercedes. Its law in BC to have front plate regardless of what vehicle you drive
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Whyme2 wrote:It’s subject to 2 fines, totally over $230.00. Not attached to front of vehicle and not displayed correctly.

Bsuds wrote:The chances of that happening are slim to none unless you are pulled over for something else.

My wife got pulled over for not having a front plate. She tore it off because it was beat up, paid the fine.
Waste not
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dodgerdodge wrote:Wait, what? You are telling me that front plate mounts are NOT standard on BC registered cars/trucks?

That is pretty much what I said. Don't confuse that with the dealer charging you extra for one, but most dealers will ask you if you would like to have a front mount or not. Drive around on some car lots, some cars have the mounts on and other (same make/model) don't because there are some people who simply don't want holes drilled in their bumpers. Go on almost any car forums and there are countless threads on this subject, many people refuse to take delivery of the car if the dealer has drilled the mount on.
dodgerdodge wrote:Well i can tell you that all three of my vehicles purchased/leased in last 10 years have all had front plates attached to correct front plate mounts.

And I can tell you that many people prefer to have their plate strapped on to the lower grill instead of having holes drilled into their bumper. 3 family members of mine have preferred this option as well as many friends. As I stated in my early post, my dealer simply strapped on the plate to the lower grill. When I asked for a front mount, they put one on no charge.
dodgerdodge wrote:I have never ever seen a dealer zap strap a plate to a grill.

There are many cars driving around with plates strapped to the lower grill.
dodgerdodge wrote:You spend big money (no new vehicle is cheap) you are NOT going to accept a zap strapped plate and certainly not on your 100k Mercedes. Its law in BC to have front plate regardless of what vehicle you drive

Again, many people would prefer to have the plate strapped on their car instead of having holes drilled into the bumper on, even on $100k plus cars.

Just a quick look on eBay shows there is a huge market for front plate options for people who do not want holes drilled:

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/no-drill-license-plate-bracket
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

If i have a bc registered car but work in sask, do i need the front plate? It should be the same rules everywhere in Canada
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

sulchie wrote:If i have a bc registered car but work in sask, do i need the front plate? It should be the same rules everywhere in Canada

Yes you need a front plate. Wherever the car is registered; that province rules must be followed; no matter where you work.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

69cutlass wrote:In the windshield is an acceptable location to display the frint licence plate. Ive had a couple vehicles that the mounts for the front plate ended up torn off the bumper. Ask a cop and he said it was fine as long as its visible from the front.

Your wording is a little off.

"It's fine" WRONG
"It's A fine" CORRECT

It is not acceptable and you are doing nobody any service by saying it is. If a cop said so he's wrong.

Perhaps those that don't have a front plate displayed or have it on the dash are lucky they are driving mostly in RCMP land. The very few police motorcycles they use and operate are only on days without a cloud in the sky.

Don't try the no front plate thing in the City of Vancouver, where there are many traffic enforcement motorcycles (ie, very easy to get around and through traffic, u-turning to apprehend drivers with no front plate)

There are two kinds of tickets (in the mind of a traffic cop) "Good Ones" and "Better Ones"

To anyone saying "well I moved from Alberta and I don't have a front plate bracket", perhaps the location to mount a front plate should form part of the provincial pre-registration inspection. No front plate bracket, no registration, plates, or insurance.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Central Okanagan”