City crime

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fledgling

Re: City Park / Downtown/Prowling

Post by 7600736 »

Remember it only takes a few baseball bat smack downs to get the word out that your neighborhood is not open for business to turn the tide on this crap.

Yep. The time has come. Best be getting on with it.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

givver but keep it to yourself,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

spooker wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Typical liberal thinking - we're all the same, we all deserve a hand up, there but the grace of God go I. Utter rubbish.

Calling something "utter rubbish" really rebuts the idea, care to clarify? Otherwise you just seem to responding by word association ... do actions of a person make them not a person? or is it just a moral stance?

Sorry it’s too complicated for you - I really don’t see how much simpler I can make it for you.
spooker

Post by spooker »

WalterWhite wrote:
Sorry it’s too complicated for you - I really don’t see how much simpler I can make it for you.

And there's the right-leaning that says "so bad" but doesn't supply context, claiming success for empty argument ...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... erty-crime

Yes Colin, the city truly has made big steps under your tenure. What an abysmal showing.

Property crime continues to rise across Kelowna through the first nine months of 2018.

In its quarterly report for city council, RCMP stats show property crime in the city jumped 20 per cent during the third quarter of 2018, compared with the same three months a year ago.

Figures indicate 3,039 reported incidents of property crime from July through September across the city. That compares with 2,539 in 2017.

That continues a trend that has seen property crime in the city climb by about 18 per cent during the first nine months.

Over a five-year period, property crime during the third quarter is up 56 per cent, while the nine-month increase is 46 per cent.

Looking at downtown specifically, property crime is up 24 per cent over the past three months, compared with last year, and 65 per cent when looking back to 2014.

Crimes against persons have doubled downtown during the third quarter, while other criminal code offences increased by 75 per cent.

Bicycle thefts increased 65 per cent across the city over the last three months.

Kelowna RCMP Supt. Brent Mundle will present his complete report to council Monday afternoon.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

and instead of cleaning up this town , are mayor bc housing and john howard are offering these criminal junkies housing , so they can run free at night to commit crime with no fear of being charged :swear:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fledgling

20% increase in property theft!?

Post by 7600736 »

Just look at these numbers! Absolutely disgraceful! This is why I moved from Kelowna :

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#243359
inplainenglish

Re: 20% increase in property theft!?

Post by inplainenglish »

Funny how this didn’t come out before the election. —- Looks a lot like mainstream media was picking sides.
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

Yep, can't argue with the facts. Kelowna has gone right down the toilet since CB took over. The fact he got re-elected just floors me. Too bad these numbers didn't come out a month or so ago. Hmmm...strange, that...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

inplainenglish wrote:Funny how this didn’t come out before the election. —- Looks a lot like mainstream media was picking sides.

well when the mayor calls head office and says do not print this story, they do what there told
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

inplainenglish wrote:Funny how this didn’t come out before the election. —- Looks a lot like mainstream media was picking sides.

Wasn't there an article a month or 2 ago claiming that crime had actually gone down in the Okanagan?
I agree with you...Seems awfully convenient that the real numbers are out AFTER the election.
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

RustyCrayon wrote:

Wasn't there an article a month or 2 ago claiming that crime had actually gone down in the Okanagan?
I agree with you...Seems awfully convenient that the real numbers are out AFTER the election.[/quot

Yep...but that's Kelowna - one big stinkin' rip-off. If you're in the "club", I guess it's still okay. If you aren't, then you best be takin' a pass.
spooker

Re: City crime

Post by spooker »

I think you might be referring the this article that came out on Nov 6

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/241172/How-dangerous-is-Valley

Not exactly apples to apples when you read both today's article and the one from last month ... we're safer from bodily harm but our stuff is more at risk ...
Kelo_Can613
Fledgling

Post by Kelo_Can613 »

RustyCrayon wrote:

I agree with you...Seems awfully convenient that the real numbers are out AFTER the election.

From what I understand -

The article/stats that you're referring to were the official Stats Canada statistics for the entirety of 2017 which showed a slight decrease in crime over 2016.

The ones in the news today regarding the sudden jump in property crime is regarding the first 3 quarters of 2018 which look to be an increase over the totality of 2017.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Kelo_Can613 wrote:
RustyCrayon wrote:Wasn't there an article a month or 2 ago claiming that crime had actually gone down in the Okanagan?

From what I understand -

The article/stats that you're referring to were the official Stats Canada statistics for the entirety of 2017 which showed a slight decrease in crime over 2016.

The ones in the news today regarding the sudden jump in property crime is regarding the first 3 quarters of 2018 which look to be an increase over the totality of 2017.

You and Spooker are right. I couldn't remember the article specifically...

Return to “Social Concerns”