Glenmore on back burner

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Glenmore on back burner

Post by CapitalB »

They don't even have busses through half of glenmore, city council only cares about the area between leon and clement.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Glenmore on back burner

Post by Scrobins94 »

If I'm not mistaken they are doing work on Sexsmith. Also, be glad that Glenmore isn't getting Freedom's Door. People like to b*tch and complain all the time. [icon_lol2.gif]
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Glenmore also was the receiver of a low income housing complex across from COOPERS.

Just a reminder, don't leave your garage unlocked, keep your bikes and other shining items locked up!
Last edited by Ken7 on Jun 15th, 2018, 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Scrobins94 wrote:If I'm not mistaken they are doing work on Sexsmith. Also, be glad that Glenmore isn't getting Freedom's Door. People like to b*tch and complain all the time. [icon_lol2.gif]

Isn't the work on Sexsmith part of the Hwy 97 expansion? I'm not sure that counts, certainly not work they decided to do because it was needed, although it was, but because the Province requires it of them as part of the highway deal. See also: Rutland Road realignment.

It is difficult for many of us who live more than a kilometer or two from the lake to believe that the folks who work at City Hall, particularly in the Council chamber, care one iota about our parts of town, let alone make the functionality and beautification of anywhere not lake-adjacent a priority.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Scrobins94 wrote:If I'm not mistaken they are doing work on Sexsmith. Also, be glad that Glenmore isn't getting Freedom's Door. People like to b*tch and complain all the time. [icon_lol2.gif]

Catri wrote:Isn't the work on Sexsmith part of the Hwy 97 expansion? I'm not sure that counts, certainly not work they decided to do because it was needed, although it was, but because the Province requires it of them as part of the highway deal. See also: Rutland Road realignment.

It is difficult for many of us who live more than a kilometer or two from the lake to believe that the folks who work at City Hall, particularly in the Council chamber, care one iota about our parts of town, let alone make the functionality and beautification of anywhere not lake-adjacent a priority.

To be fair, the new John Hindle Drive
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tran ... ndle-drive
will link Glenmore with Hwy 97 at UBCO. This is a huge project that will divert a massive amount of traffic from Sexsmith onto John Hindle Drive, particularly the traffic bound for UBCO and the Airport from the downtown as well as the traffic bound for the landfill from Rutland and beyond. In turn traffic on Sexsmith will be reduced. John Hindle Drive is scheduled to be opened in July of 2018 so I think we can sure it will be ready for fall classes. It is inconceivable that Sexsmith could be upgraded in any way with John Hindle Drive not available as relief.
Waste not
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I think Basran know Glenmore people vote.

He might be waiving a carrot in front of our noses. IF he gets back in, maybe then he will carry in as planned.

Just joking, no rumors this morning yet so I'm starting one!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Ken7 wrote:I think Basran know Glenmore people vote.

He might be waiving a carrot in front of our noses. IF he gets back in, maybe then he will carry in as planned.

Just joking, no rumors this morning yet so I'm starting one!

Careful there Ken ... Where do you think politicians get their ideas [icon_lol2.gif]
SexySadie

Post by SexySadie »

For the amount of jobs and money Sexsmith, Valley and Glenmore Road are responsible for moving it’s disgusting that the City hasn’t planned to increase lanes, turn signals and yes buses. Hindle won’t solve Glenmore from being used as a freeway to Vernon.

Every work day we wait 20 minutes to move 1 mile from Sexsmith to Hwy. 97. James is bang on with his comments about the Glenmore Sports fields I don’t give a hoot about increased contractor prices to get those fields and buildings completed. We pay for the sidewalks, beautiful parking lots, new volleyball nets in the Mission and the City was fine with paying those increased prices so that’s not a good explanation. We have all started neighbourhood associations and worked with COK for over 10 years and still we’re put off.
Our residents from McKinley Landing, McKinley Beach, Wilden and Dilworth Mountain need to start emailing and voting the councillors that have done nothing for us out and people with business backgrounds need to run for office this fall if we ever have any hope of turning their heads from the south part of town. Come on Glenmore you know we’re worth it! If you don’t demand better they’ll just roll over us.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

SexySadie wrote:For the amount of jobs and money Sexsmith, Valley and Glenmore Road are responsible for moving it’s disgusting that the City hasn’t planned to increase lanes, turn signals and yes buses. Hindle won’t solve Glenmore from being used as a freeway to Vernon.

Every work day we wait 20 minutes to move 1 mile from Sexsmith to Hwy. 97. James is bang on with his comments about the Glenmore Sports fields I don’t give a hoot about increased contractor prices to get those fields and buildings completed. We pay for the sidewalks, beautiful parking lots, new volleyball nets in the Mission and the City was fine with paying those increased prices so that’s not a good explanation. We have all started neighbourhood associations and worked with COK for over 10 years and still we’re put off.
Our residents from McKinley Landing, McKinley Beach, Wilden and Dilworth Mountain need to start emailing and voting the councillors that have done nothing for us out and people with business backgrounds need to run for office this fall if we ever have any hope of turning their heads from the south part of town. Come on Glenmore you know we’re worth it! If you don’t demand better they’ll just roll over us.

There just wasn't much money left over after they put in those fancy quadruple wiggly sidewalk-bike paths on Ethyl.
I suggested the city extend sanitary sewer to the Scenic Rd fire hall but they instead spent who knows how much putting in a new septic disposal system under an earthen mound beside the GEID water pumping station.
But wait, there's more, they needed $4.4 million for less than an acre of waterfront property, where else? In the Mission.
Waste not
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Well Grandan there just ain't too much waterfront property left in Glenmore..
Quite a bit right now at Robert Lake, but it could dry up by fall.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Well Grandan there just ain't too much waterfront property left in Glenmore..
Quite a bit right now at Robert Lake, but it could dry up by fall.

I live on Brandt's Creek and I call it waterfront, except I don't have to put up with noisy boaters, just noisy aquatic creatures.
We have received the unwanted excess water from Robert Lake which has washed out an old earthen dam thus reducing the water level in the pond behind it and destroying long established habitat for Redwinged Blackbirds and muskrats for example. The excess amount of water is easily four times normal volume. This is all groundwater from the winter's precipitation from the surrounding hillsides recycled through the Glenmore Basin and expressing through Brandt's Creek (which also drains northward toward Robert Lake ).
The amount of wetland remediation on the new Glenmore Sports Fields at Cross Road is quite impressive, including a large pond with a lot of new trees.

B
Waste not
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Yeah we need a pump down there at night, to get some water in the sportsfield pond soon..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”