Re:About time for wage hike letter

Sparki55
Guru

Re: Re:About time for wage hike letter

Post by Sparki55 »

Verum wrote:Honestly, you could remove much of this and just add one:
0) Were luckier than you
That's the biggest influencer of all. Basically, our success is hugely driven by luck, from the communities, families we are born into to getting sick or not, to having access to a few good teachers, to making friends with the right people, etc.

Yea, must just be a fluke I went to school and saved for a house and pay into my retirement fund. I flipped a coin when I decided to save $400 a pay check for my downpayment, how lucky am I it flipped to heads or I'd be homeless!

Wonder if tomorrow I'll be lucky enough to work hard at my job and boost my salary wuth good work ethic!
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Sparki55 wrote:
Verum wrote:Honestly, you could remove much of this and just add one:
0) Were luckier than you
That's the biggest influencer of all. Basically, our success is hugely driven by luck, from the communities, families we are born into to getting sick or not, to having access to a few good teachers, to making friends with the right people, etc.

Yea, must just be a fluke I went to school and saved for a house and pay into my retirement fund. I flipped a coin when I decided to save $400 a pay check for my downpayment, how lucky am I it flipped to heads or I'd be homeless!

Wonder if tomorrow I'll be lucky enough to work hard at my job and boost my salary wuth good work ethic!

That's a strawman argument. I never said that it is only down to luck. But that you had those opportunities afforded to you is at least somewhat down to luck. Hell, your entire genetic structure is essentially a matter of luck. Don't worry, I feel the same about myself, since while I'm a hard worker and well educated, I'm also very well aware of others who were equally so and who will struggle to ever fulfil a tiny fraction of their potential due to circumstances beyond their control.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Post by savvybusinessman »

Sparki55 wrote:There are businesses that are so simple that it is only worth minimum wage employment. A few jobs come to mind:
Sign holder for advertisement.
Dollar store cashier/shelf stocker.
Fast food cook/ cashier.

These jobs are so basic that anyone with a little bit of brain can do them. No skill required. Great job for a student until graduation before getting a real job.

Have you worked at a fast food job recently? The workers are expected to zip around like lightning and handle 10 tasks at once. It's not as brainless as people always try to claim it is. I don't think they should be rich but easier access to raises and or a higher minimum wage at least wouldn't make these hard-working people feel like their employers are giving them the finger.

Return to “Central Okanagan”