Illichmann's Fed Up.....

normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Illichmann's Fed Up.....

Post by normaM »

They should be able to fine the GM then just like any other business. I get they are non profit but still. Perhaps they should take some responsibility for what their " patrons" do
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

lensbaby wrote:
they need to be put in facilities for treatment,

You can't "put" them anywhere - you can only invite them - and many of them don't want to go.

If they are breaking laws, bylaws, etc why can't you "put" them somewhere? If any of us unfettered by drug addiction, mental illness etc, were constantly breaking the laws you can bet your bippy we would be "put" somewhere on the double quick!

These aren't law abiding citizens - no matter their crappy circumstances. There ARE solutions out there - City Hall just doesn't agree with them, or want to do the things necessary to implement them.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Time to rid the downtown core and Capri Mall area of these scumbags.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

7600736 wrote:Well, it's really nice here in Campbell River. Been here two weeks and I haven't seen hardly any of the unsavoury types that are taking over downtown Kelowna. There's a group of about 7 or 8 harmless drunks who hang out behind the old bus depot downtown, but that's about it. Saw my first MVA today, however. Abandoning Kelowna was one of the best decisions I've made in recent memory and I encourage everyone on this forum to try and do the same. Really...get out while you can. It's just going to get worse.

Same in the Kootenays. Actually I listened to the interview with Tom again a couple of times. I am pretty sure he said he would take his business to the Kootenays, not Keremeos as reported. Hope so.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

normaM wrote:I know of one shelter has really no rules.
Again I think there is a difference between homeless people and the creeps who are out harassing and stealing and doing petty crimes. People who reckon they are above playing by the rules.
As the staff member said to me at the shelter JHS runs " every city has them" Well there you go. Not looking for solutions just accepting it as a fact that cannot be changed.
I freaking LOVE the meat salad at Illchamanns. Pupper did her happy dance when she smelled pork schnitzel.

jhs was great many years ago now they are just living off the great reputation it earned and others built many years ago, they are now just a top heavy well paid upper management ,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JayByrd wrote:
MalaPropina wrote:Really? They can't? A quick google search has stories of mayors in other Canadian cities trying to come up with plans and action to tackle their problems with homelessness. So this office, in Kelowna is special and can't do anything....why....?

I believe the context here is that CoK can't force Gospel Mission et al to move. This is the answer to the "Why don't they move these shelters to X" question.

not move, but close down
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

normaM wrote:They should be able to fine the GM then just like any other business. I get they are non profit but still. Perhaps they should take some responsibility for what their " patrons" do

and then some, that's why these places need to be shut down and not moved elsewear they are 24/7 junkie hangouts, they provide nothing to kelowna but problems
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

This shooting this morning....

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... r/3186449/

This segues right into this thread I think in that it just highlights one of the roadblocks to getting people affordable housing in this City.

If a person owns a house and rents it they have to ask a pretty pricey rent to get a tenant who won't trash it so there are no affordable houses to rent out there - can't blame the home owner AT ALL. Some people have even got caught up in a trap of a very professional person with excellent references turning their home into a grow-op so you just never know who you are going to get.

In this case, a motel appears to have changed from being a motel for visitors, to long term tenants and by accounts by neighbours has turned into a drug haven and lots of trouble.

I think that any low income housing that is to be had in this town had better be owned & managed by the government - municipal or provincial - whichever it is that is responsible after they stop pointing fingers at each other. That way it will fall under stricter controls.

If they don't build it or own it, there won't be affordable housing here and the streets will remain full and get worse.

People CANNOT be expected to rent out their homes to this segment of society and pay the price trying to help will cost.

The homeowners haven't got enough rights in the tenancy act to protect their property and if they get a bad one in, it takes MONTHS AND MONTHS to get them out - and only after great expense to themselves and damage to the property.
missmorgan

Post by missmorgan »

Can we please have our city administration look at Medicine Hat's model? They have all but eliminated homelessness in the last couple of years. Instead of having turned a blind eye like Kelowna has, they actually took action, saving money in the process. Let's call em up!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

missmorgan wrote:Can we please have our city administration look at Medicine Hat's model? They have all but eliminated homelessness in the last couple of years. Instead of having turned a blind eye like Kelowna has, they actually took action, saving money in the process. Let's call em up!

They've done a great job from what I've read. I don't think they waited as long to do something about it as we have, plus we have twice the population they have though....might have made it a bit easier.

I do agree that our people should call their people and see what they did. I know we'd never know it most days but yes, we DO have people!
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

And our mayor is at a winery after a renovation.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

normaM wrote:They should be able to fine the GM then just like any other business. I get they are non profit but still. Perhaps they should take some responsibility for what their " patrons" do

I'm not sure what you mean. Fine them for what?

If I go to Mac's and buy Doritos, then go somewhere and wreak havoc, Mac's doesn't get fined.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Although this post doesn't look like it belongs in this thread, it does have a quote related to it.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/231336/Broken-boat-theory

Here is the part that directly relates to our ongoing problem.

Police across the world often refer to the broken glass theory, which is a criminological theory that visible signs of crime, anti-social behavior, and civil disorder create an urban environment that encourages further crime and disorder, including serious crimes.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

lensbaby wrote:

You can't "put" them anywhere - you can only invite them - and many of them don't want to go.

If they are breaking laws, bylaws, etc why can't you "put" them somewhere?

That is a pretty big IF!
0mni
Fledgling

Post by 0mni »

lensbaby wrote:

Not true, when we had mental hospitals, a Doctor would assess a patient that was brought in, and usually committed them. A doctor can legally do that

Return to “Central Okanagan”