RE: Alcohol not for beaches

Nedroj
Übergod

RE: Alcohol not for beaches

Post by Nedroj »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#231842

Gee, thanks for the lesson on alcohol and its effects grandma. Who would have thought that alcohol consumption is not a public sport and that it alters our state of mind and causes inebriation! I dont know what us grown responsible adults would have done without your highly educational article informing us that Men are only allowed 2-3 drinks per day and women 1-2 per day to a maximum of 7-14 drinks per week for either sex. Anything more and clearly we have a drinking problem. (A golden standard of a clearly sexist and very archaic rule of thumb)

In case you're confused (which clearly you are to some degree or another) I am being extremely sarcastic.
Only in North America are adults not allowed to drink in public places like beaches. Everywhere else its allowed, and it doesnt seem to be a big issue for adults to have a few drinks in public. I was in Berlin last fall for Octoberfest and everywhere there was a "Platz" (their version of a stripmall) there was a festival area setup with beers, food and music. People both young and old were singing, dancing, eating and drinking everywhere and the only problem was waiting in line for the beer. And let me tell you the steins they use hold 4-5 beers so it only takes one to get a buzz.

I've also been (like many) to Mexico and public drinking is allowed there. Again I saw zero issues with adults drinking in public areas and on the beaches in a country where the beers cost 1$ if anything at all, the police are easily bribed and cartels are aligned with politicians.

Want another example? Las Vegas, Public drinking is allowed and even encouraged and again I saw zero issues with adults drinking in public. In fact there was more issues with the people handing out the Hooker cards and the occasional aggressive street performer than the "inebriated" public.

Its time you realize that its not 1950 anymore, women are topless, weed is legal, having a beer/cider/wine in public isnt the end of the world and consuming more than 14 drinks in a week doesnt mean you have a problem.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: RE: Alcohol not for beaches

Post by Bsuds »

Our drinking laws are archaic and people who think like her are one of the reasons they do not get changed.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
aitaix

Post by aitaix »

I think she's missing the fine line of "having a drink in public" and "being drunk in Public"

Obviously the latter should be a top Police priority right after they deal with being High / Having Sex in Public. [icon_lol2.gif]
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There will always be some who spoil it for those who would just like 1 or 2.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

just do drugs and have sex on the beach instead, are city and mayor seem ok with that :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:There will always be some who spoil it for those who would just like 1 or 2.

Those being the types who will drink on the beach whether it's allowed or not.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Those being the types who will drink on the beach whether it's allowed or not.

I have a couple beers almost every time I go and its not allowed. How did I ruin it for you? no one even noticed
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Obviously the crazy woman does not believe George Thorogood..
I have see clergy in Europe that clearly don't believe her..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

aitaix wrote:I think she's missing the fine line of "having a drink in public" and "being drunk in Public"

Obviously the latter should be a top Police priority right after they deal with being High / Having Sex in Public. [icon_lol2.gif]

Like most of the people who think having one drink with dinner then driving home is the same as sitting down at the bar and drinking your fill then driving home ??

Yeah , there's a lot of that around here ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

There are many people with a drinking problem..
They just don't know how to drink... :130:
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Jul 24th, 2018, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

I get both sides. I really do. I mean some of us already have a couple at the beach and its no big deal. But there's that saying, "If you build it, they will come." They being the irresponsible, disrespectful idiots. "Hey! Let's go to Kelowna. We can drink on the beach all day long. Bring all your friends. It will be a rager." Get 2 or 3 or more of these groups on one beach and see what happens to the enjoyment of families, older people or people who just want quiet day at the beach.

I believe it should be allowed but on designated beaches only. That way its contained and easily patroled. People can choose if they want to go to a beach where there could potentially be drunken idiots or go elsewhere.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Have travelled a lot outside Canada The laws re alcohol are so archaic, its unbelievable. When does Canada and the province grow up? Cant even take a bottle of wine across provincial borders. Thought we all live in one country. Not for alcohol tho.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Maybe the letter writer can tidy up City Park too :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

MalaPropina wrote:I get both sides. I really do. I mean some of us already have a couple at the beach and its no big deal. But there's that saying, "If you build it, they will come." They being the irresponsible, disrespectful idiots. "Hey! Let's go to Kelowna. We can drink on the beach all day long. Bring all your friends. It will be a rager." Get 2 or 3 or more of these groups on one beach and see what happens to the enjoyment of families, older people or people who just want quiet day at the beach.

I believe it should be allowed but on designated beaches only. That way its contained and easily patroled. People can choose if they want to go to a beach where there could potentially be drunken idiots or go elsewhere.

This is just scapegoating. It doesn't make sense to keep something from a majority because of actions of a minority. It's lazy. You just deal with the disrupters and move on. As has been pointed out repeatedly there are many areas with public drinking allowed and they do just fine. We're not special, we'd do just fine too.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

No alcohol... no smoking either tobacco or pot at any public beaches, don't like it to damn bad.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”