Civic Election here we come!

dle
Lord of the Board

Civic Election here we come!

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... yoral-race

The race is on! Looking forward to hearing the different platforms....
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Re: Civic Election here we come!

Post by fz6adventure »

Get this. In order to pick up a nomination package from City Hall, one must provide a name phone number, email address and signature. Of course you can consent or withhold consent for the name to be released to the public or media but nothing prevents ones personal information as a prospective candidate being released to city hall, current councillors and mayor. A little bit of an unfair advantage to current mayor and council where they can know who might be running prior to the actual date that nominations must be declared (Sept 14th) but candidates can’t know if consent to release is withheld. Is the election rigged from the start?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Ill vote...but meh...

Who wants that job anyways...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Symbonite wrote:Ill vote...but meh...

Who wants that job anyways...

Basran sure wants it as do the existing council for the most part? Go figure?
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

fz6adventure wrote:Get this. In order to pick up a nomination package from City Hall, one must provide a name phone number, email address and signature. Of course you can consent or withhold consent for the name to be released to the public or media but nothing prevents ones personal information as a prospective candidate being released to city hall, current councillors and mayor. A little bit of an unfair advantage to current mayor and council where they can know who might be running prior to the actual date that nominations must be declared (Sept 14th) but candidates can’t know if consent to release is withheld. Is the election rigged from the start?

That does seem a bit lopsided doesn't it....
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

dle wrote:
That does seem a bit lopsided doesn't it....

Welcome to your current Kelowna governance
Last edited by fz6adventure on Aug 1st, 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

fz6adventure wrote:Get this. In order to pick up a nomination package from City Hall, one must provide a name phone number, email address and signature. Of course you can consent or withhold consent for the name to be released to the public or media but nothing prevents ones personal information as a prospective candidate being released to city hall, current councillors and mayor. A little bit of an unfair advantage to current mayor and council where they can know who might be running prior to the actual date that nominations must be declared (Sept 14th) but candidates can’t know if consent to release is withheld. Is the election rigged from the start?

Plenty of time for them to research everything about their opposition.

Speaking of City Hall.
Anyone know where they have posted the remuneration list showing employees who made over 75k yet ?
It always seems to be ridiculously difficult to find where they have hidden the document on their website.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

soupy wrote:

Speaking of City Hall.
Anyone know where they have posted the remuneration list showing employees who made over 75k yet ?
It always seems to be ridiculously difficult to find where they have hidden the document on their website.

https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... entId=7721
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

fz6adventure wrote:
soupy wrote:

Speaking of City Hall.

https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... entId=7721

That is for 2016 fiscal year. Published June 2017

I am looking for 2017 version, likely published June 2018.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure how this could be used to an incumbent candidate's advantage. Is there an angle to this that I'm not seeing?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Giardinera1
Fledgling

Post by Giardinera1 »

I can't wait! Who do people like, and who do people want out?

The power developers have over most of the candidates troubles me. I think it's time for a through look at their votes, and how these promises have actually translated into community benefits.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

JayByrd wrote:
I get what you're saying but I'm not sure how this could be used to an incumbent candidate's advantage. Is there an angle to this that I'm not seeing?

Why should an incumbent be privy to more information about who or who may not be seeking office than a prospective candidate? It is about a level playing field. There may be a prospective candidate that strategically want to wait until September 14th to make his or her intentions known to the current crop.....they should have that option just as the current crop has.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Typical of City of Kelowna rule making.,
Reminds me of bylaw, we can't say who complained..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

If someone wanted to run, why would they submit their application then not announce? Wouldn't they submit their application and announce almost immediately to start campaigning? Mayor Basran announced a while ago. I must be missing the angle the OP is going for.

If someone doesn't want to start gaining support, they're likely putting themselves at a disadvantage. Seems like a dumb move and I'm not sure I'd want somebody that dumb running for mayor anyway.

If they strategically want to keep things quiet, then they should wait to submit their application. They either want to keep things quiet or they don't.

It seems this is a case of people again searching quite hard to find something to complain about Mayor Basran and his government.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

WOW, Faith Goldy is running for Mayor of Toronto!

faithformayor.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”