Rose's Waterfront Pub Closing

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Rose's Waterfront Pub Closing

Post by LANDM »

burnedatstake wrote:
rookie314 wrote:Just another iconic Kelowna landmark disappearing.

thats standard - isnt it? bet soon we will lose city park. i mean the simpson covenant wasnt held sacred - why should the park be?

I’ll take that bet on almost any terms you want. Name the price and a reasonable timeline for "soon" and we are on.
You and 71 others Like this post
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

That place was nothing special. Won't be missed.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Even Steven wrote:That place was nothing special. Won't be missed.

How long have you lived here.?
When it opened it was a far different scene. Even 8 or 10 years ago , there was less choices of places to go.
And you probably missed the Steak Sandwich Lunch Special they ran in the off season..
Great place to have lunch.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Lived on those steak sandwiches.. took company there and they raved. It was the staff really made the place. Best people watching from the patio.
One of the forumites and I spend many a super time there :)
Same people were always sitting at the bar by 11:15, some just drinking coffee and it had a fun vibe
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

One of the waitresses was there for 20 years plus, if you hadn't come in for a few years, she still would remember you and welcome you.
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:One of the waitresses was there for 20 years plus, if you hadn't come in for a few years, she still would remember you and welcome you.

Yup, whenever I walk by on the patio a few of the regular waitresses always smile, wave and give a hi if they see me.
And the steak sandwiches they server for lunch were awesome, so were the Caesars!
Never really visited at night, mostly during day time hours.
Service has always been fine, place has always been busy.
Last edited by ArcticCatHouse on Aug 3rd, 2018, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Steak Sandwich Lunch Special

I've been there a bunch of times but never cared for it greatly. It was literally nothing special. Location was ok, right on the water, food was nothing special, the atmosphere was nothing special. I don't even remember what I had because it was so generic and can be reproduced by any other bar/restaurant that moves in there.

It's like crying over a closure of Boston Pizza. LOL.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

So reasonably priced food, freindly staff that can remember you, and good service (in daytime) does not matter to you. So what places do you like ?
Btw I would rather eat at Roses than BP
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:So reasonably priced food, freindly staff that can remember you, and good service (in daytime) does not matter to you. So what places do you like ?
Btw I would rather eat at Roses than BP

Those things do matter, but people's experiences will vary. I've been to Rose's maybe 2 or 3 times or the past few years, and I thought it was just okay. The food was okay. The service was okay. The atmosphere was okay. Nothing special about it to make it memorable to me, but I'd probably choose it over Boston Pizza, too.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

We have at least 4 more choices , that side of Qeensway in the last 8 years.
But it was always a nice break to sit there and eat on a weekday after closing a deal..
I suppose sitting with no view to enjoy a meal works for some... or something is a lot better.

I am not a gourmet diner, but the place sure worked for us for a very long time .
Could be because I worked in the North End for 18 years, or the fact that I could bike down there, and have easy parking.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:So reasonably priced food, freindly staff that can remember you, and good service (in daytime) does not matter to you.

They do matter, but in this case, it was nothing special. Just average. Just another pub with pub food and service to match.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Lots here think that Roses was just average but they are missing something. It was a success. It has outlasted countless others who tried and failed to open up an eatery in Kelowna.

There was something about Roses that made it special even if, as many seem to think, it wasn't.

I liked it because it was so busy and there was always lots too watch.

The patio was one of very few in town and being on the water is indeed, very special. The lake is possibly our greatest asset and yet there are few places that get you as close to it as Roses patio did.

Pre concert was the place to be. Hockey games to.

The waitresses were always friendly and the food was exactly what you would and should expect; pub food and it was very edible.

I am sad that it is closing but I offer my thanks for the years it has been here and congratulations to Rose for making it what it was.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:We have at least 4 more choices , that side of Qeensway in the last 8 years.
But it was always a nice break to sit there and eat on a weekday after closing a deal..
I suppose sitting with no view to enjoy a meal works for some... or something is a lot better.

I am not a gourmet diner, but the place sure worked for us for a very long time .
Could be because I worked in the North End for 18 years, or the fact that I could bike down there, and have easy parking.

I think that location is fantastic. I'd love to have a view like that anyplace I choose to eat, but I can also enjoy a lovely view while on a walk and eat somewhere more appealing to my taste buds. Honestly, I seldom go downtown. We walk through the park once or twice a summer, go to the theatre or Rockets games a couple of times a year, and I go to the library once in a while. Downtown just isn't a place I spend a great deal of time.

I'm not a gourmet diner either, but I am weary of paying to eat out at places where the food tastes like the same pre-fab food available everywhere. That's what I remember about my experiences at Rose's.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Even Steven wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:So reasonably priced food, freindly staff that can remember you, and good service (in daytime) does not matter to you.

They do matter, but in this case, it was nothing special. Just average. Just another pub with pub food and service to match.

Food was fairly typical pub food, steak sandwich lunch special was awesome but I agree it was nice when I went there year after year and the waitress remembered me. And I would rather have ok food, with great beer and amazing view....the view couldn’t be beat. Maybe living here and having a place like that at your disposal has spoiled people. Living in Edmonton most of the year....all I want to do is sit by the lake, have a cold beer and meal and take in the view when I’m here.....gorgeous.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Went there once back when they first opened, didn't care for it, never went back, never became an option when one would ask where we should go for a bite.

Return to “Central Okanagan”