Really, Wal-Mart!?

forumdoug
Übergod

Really, Wal-Mart!?

Post by forumdoug »

News article URL: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... shoplifter

It boggles my mind a bit that a Wal-Mart loss prevention officer, likely woefully underpaid, would be so dedicated to his or her job for, of all things, being willing to be sprayed with bear spray (or pepper spray, or are the two one the same thing? I'm not sure. If they are, what's worse?) by someone suspected of stealing food stuffs. I can, potentially, see it with, say, a computer, electronics, or some other higher value item, but it absolutely astounds me (and enrages me) that local supermarkets (they're all pretty much the same) worry about this crap. This is the kind of thing that is also a complete waste of our police resources! And then they come to the taxpayers asking for "more officers" - do they ever offer to cut their payrolls when crimes are down across the board!? :biggrin:

I sooo wish they'd learn to prioritize things and get tough with the supermarket chains, "OK, here's your file number for insurance purposes, but we won't be investigating the case. If you insist, we'll get to it when we get to it and, by the way, we'll bill you for the full cost of our policing and related administrative activities, for which we require payment upfront by bank draft or certified cheque only."

Cheers,
Doug
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Really, Wal-Mart!?

Post by alanjh595 »

Therefore: A Loss Prevention Officer has the right to choose who can steal what, based upon the value of that item? The LPO was doing what he was hired to do.
Grocery stores should "just take it" on the cheek and let a thief go because of the value of what was taken? How many times a day should they just suck it up?
ALL stores are jacking up their prices to account for theft, that means that honest shoppers have to pay for everything lost by theft. How is that fair?
Bring back the LIKE button.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

alanjh595 wrote:Therefore: A Loss Prevention Officer has the right to choose who can steal what, based upon the value of that item? The LPO was doing what he was hired to do.
Grocery stores should "just take it" on the cheek and let a thief go because of the value of what was taken? How many times a day should they just suck it up?
ALL stores are jacking up their prices to account for theft, that means that honest shoppers have to pay for everything lost by theft. How is that fair?

What the heck ?!?!?

I agree with this statement
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

forumdoug wrote:News article URL: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... shoplifter

It boggles my mind a bit that a Wal-Mart loss prevention officer, likely woefully underpaid, would be so dedicated to his or her job for, of all things, being willing to be sprayed with bear spray (or pepper spray, or are the two one the same thing? I'm not sure. If they are, what's worse?) by someone suspected of stealing food stuffs. I can, potentially, see it with, say, a computer, electronics, or some other higher value item, but it absolutely astounds me (and enrages me) that local supermarkets (they're all pretty much the same) worry about this crap. This is the kind of thing that is also a complete waste of our police resources! And then they come to the taxpayers asking for "more officers" - do they ever offer to cut their payrolls when crimes are down across the board!? :biggrin:

I sooo wish they'd learn to prioritize things and get tough with the supermarket chains, "OK, here's your file number for insurance purposes, but we won't be investigating the case. If you insist, we'll get to it when we get to it and, by the way, we'll bill you for the full cost of our policing and related administrative activities, for which we require payment upfront by bank draft or certified cheque only."

Cheers,
Doug

So in essence you are annoyed that a loss prevention officer was doing their job?????

I'm fairly certain it's a safe bet that people in such a job aren't given a list of items to nail thieves for, while ignoring others. After all theft is theft regardless of whether it's food stuffs or electronics.

You noted the price of a couple of steaks these days?

Seems you need to do a better job of picking your battles.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Once apprehended the theif should have been bear sprayed himself.

Then give him a bucket of jalepeno water to rinse his eyes with.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

If it was me id have given him something to remember . A 1 year old was also a victim in this . Its people like that that need to be made an example of . The Op is way off the mark .Throw the book at him .
Strong and free
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Zoso wrote:If it was me id have given him something to remember . A 1 year old was also a victim in this . Its people like that that need to be made an example of . The Op is way off the mark .Throw the book at him .

throw a beating at him instead of a book
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

soupy wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Therefore: A Loss Prevention Officer has the right to choose who can steal what, based upon the value of that item? The LPO was doing what he was hired to do.

What the heck ?!?!?

I agree with this statement

Surprised ME too....... :130:
Bring back the LIKE button.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

forumdoug wrote:News article URL: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... shoplifter

Cheers,
Doug

Remember what happened at AAAANNNNNDDDDRRREEEEES stereo

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... er-s-Death
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

featfan wrote:

Cheers,
Doug

Remember what happened at AAAANNNNNDDDDRRREEEEES stereo

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... er-s-Death

the kid died because he was high on drugs , he just happen to die when he was detained
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Police have informed Larsen's mother, Dorothy, the Crown has decided not to proceed with charges despite a recommendation of manslaughter from the RCMP.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

What on earth? Still on Page 1 of the topic and already getting derailed? Get back on topic! Thank you. :-X
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Cheers,
Doug

Your posts are usually articulate and well thought out - but so not this time. This is exactly the sort of thinking these low-lifes are hoping for. Btw - kudos to the LPO and others like him for doing an outstanding job. Keep up the great work.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Zoso wrote:If it was me id have given him something to remember . A 1 year old was also a victim in this . Its people like that that need to be made an example of . The Op is way off the mark .Throw the book at him .

LTD wrote:throw a beating at him instead of a book

I propose that there's a way to do both...

Return to “Central Okanagan”