Constant flow of Motorcyle accident reports

casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Constant flow of Motorcyle accident reports

Post by casey60 »

Wished there was more police present on the roads. I hardly see any. 97, Glenmore rd, Gordon, all major roads are raceways. Its even spilling over in side streets like Lawrence.
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

I moved to the Island two months ago and traffic enforcement here seems to be much more of a priority than in the Okanagan. I see radar traps and people pulled over multiple times a day, and guess what? As a result, people here, for the most part, actually obey the speed limit and drive with due care. The difference in overall driving habits is huge. Enforce the rules consistently and properly, and people will fall in line. It ain't rocket science.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

casey60 wrote:Wished there was more police present on the roads. I hardly see any. 97, Glenmore rd, Gordon, all major roads are raceways. Its even spilling over in side streets like Lawrence.

While I tend to agree that overall traffic enforcement seems to not be as prevalent as previous years, they were out doing exactly that yesterday with one surprising result for 8:30 AM:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... chool-zone
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Brerrabbit18 wrote:P.S.
I also want to make a note for ALOT of the other motorcyclist I see riding around Kelowna: STOP RIDING LIKE YOUR ON A RACE TRACK AND WEAR YOUR GOD*%#! GEAR!!
You give the rest of us a bad name.

Thanks,

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: Bingo!

I had a close call with a bike rider last week which gave me cause to reflect, which I did and came to the conclusion that I'd done nothing wrong.
I have to use the DeHart/Casorso Rd. intersection a lot, and for those unfamiliar with it, there is a blind curve on the right (talking about turning left onto Casorso from DeHart here) which quite well hides oncoming cars, and on the left there is a long downhill stretch with a dip in it which also hides oncoming vehicles.

I took my time, looked left, then right, then did it again and pulled out which I do quite quickly due to so many that speed and appear suddenly. Next thing I see is the bike rider coming at me from the left flipping me off, as he blows by doing at least 80kph in the 50kph speed zone.

He'd been hidden from my view by the dip on the downhill side, and had he been doing the posted speed there wouldn't have been an issue at all.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

There is a surge in motorcycle accidents.

- The number of motorcycle crashes spike during the summer and, according to ICBC data, an average of six motorcyclists are injured each day in B.C. in July and August.

As I recall, 'Deadpool 2' making had a motorcycle accident as well.

No matter how you look at it, motorcycles are more risky for bodily injury.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/surge-in-motorcycle-accidents-debate-posting-crash-photos-1.4718820
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

There is a name for those who don't wear gear, it's called "squid".
Natural selection is a real thing, and I am okay with it.
I have lots of friends who ride, but I can't stand the egotistical crotch rocket dbags who wear muscle shirts, shorts and nikes, just feel bad for those who have to scrape skin off the roadways.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:There is a name for those who don't wear gear, it's called "squid".
Natural selection is a real thing, and I am okay with it.
I have lots of friends who ride, but I can't stand the egotistical crotch rocket dbags who wear muscle shirts, shorts and nikes, just feel bad for those who have to scrape skin off the roadways.

Actually I thought it was "organ donors".
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

7600736 wrote:I moved to the Island two months ago and traffic enforcement here seems to be much more of a priority than in the Okanagan. I see radar traps and people pulled over multiple times a day, and guess what? As a result, people here, for the most part, actually obey the speed limit and drive with due care. The difference in overall driving habits is huge. Enforce the rules consistently and properly, and people will fall in line. It ain't rocket science.
Just came back from a week in Qualicum .. We went north south east and west and not once did we experience an idiot driver on any road or hiway .

It was a nice change from the roads here .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
jsytnick
Board Meister

Post by jsytnick »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 6th, 2018, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Brerrabbit18 wrote:P.S.
I also want to make a note for ALOT of the other motorcyclist I see riding around Kelowna: STOP RIDING LIKE YOUR ON A RACE TRACK AND WEAR YOUR GOD*%#! GEAR!!
You give the rest of us a bad name.

Thanks,

Urban Cowboy wrote: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: Bingo!

I had a close call with a bike rider last week which gave me cause to reflect, which I did and came to the conclusion that I'd done nothing wrong.
I have to use the DeHart/Casorso Rd. intersection a lot, and for those unfamiliar with it, there is a blind curve on the right (talking about turning left onto Casorso from DeHart here) which quite well hides oncoming cars, and on the left there is a long downhill stretch with a dip in it which also hides oncoming vehicles.

I took my time, looked left, then right, then did it again and pulled out which I do quite quickly due to so many that speed and appear suddenly. Next thing I see is the bike rider coming at me from the left flipping me off, as he blows by doing at least 80kph in the 50kph speed zone.

He'd been hidden from my view by the dip on the downhill side, and had he been doing the posted speed there wouldn't have been an issue at all.

Buddy needs to learn to ride to survive. If he keeps riding with that kind of attitude he is going to be doing a bit more than flipping you off. Attempting to defy the the laws of physics does not work, that is why so many of these guys end up dead.
It seems to be beyond their comprehension that people cannot see them coming when they are travelling at 2 to 3 times the speed limit, that they present a near invisible target to other motorists who are expecting to see a much larger object and that most people are really not paying attention when they drive.
I look out for the idiots because I don't want one of them to ruin my life.
Waste not
jsytnick
Board Meister

Post by jsytnick »

So it's OK to say "the more motorcyclists die the better" but it's not OK to call that person an idiot? Cool. Seems logical.
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

casey60 wrote:Wished there was more police present on the roads. I hardly see any. 97, Glenmore rd, Gordon, all major roads are raceways. Its even spilling over in side streets like Lawrence.

Currently we have a total of 9 RCMP Members for all of Kelowna doing traffic enforcement. This would mean roughly there are 2-4 Members at any given point in time on duty for traffic enforcement. We would need to have a look at upping the budget to get more. (Honestly we should)

The problem is that Kelowna had a substantial growth and increase in vehicles as well as traffic. I do feel for our RCMP Members here as they are tasked to take care of a mid size city with a staff essentially reflecting that for a smaller town. I am not exactly sure but I think our Department is covering West Kelowna, and Lake Country as well but I could be wrong.

Either way, they are fighting an uphill battle and we are seeing daily how ill equipped and understaffed they are for their current task. As a rider, I am *bleep* off with the way people drive or ignore the rules of the road as it puts me usually into serious situations on a daily basis. (this also applies to other riders at times...)
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

dominik wrote:. As a rider, I am *bleep* off with the way people drive or ignore the rules of the road as it puts me usually into serious situations on a daily basis.

Motorcyclist speed and impairment continue to be the leading contributing factors

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#235165

Leading cause of deaths is very clear, and no surprise its not drivers but feel free to continue on blaming drivers rather than the riders who are clearly the ones at fault
Williy

Post by Williy »

here's a little something for all the motorcycle rider's out there....of which I am one. I prefer to take my rage out with the dirt bike now though.....much safer, but no matter where you do it remember, stupid hurts. I can hardly believe I survived all those years of street biking, and that was way before cell phones & texting were around.
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

Wow that was a powerful clip!
Shows just how quick it’s all over.

I too used to ride, quite aggressive at times, and so did my brother. I can’t bring myself to
get back on a bike. It’s amazing that we both survived that time period. We were maniacs on crotch rockets.
I’ll never let my children ride...
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!

Return to “Central Okanagan”