Buy Local

GLE Ltd.

Buy Local

Post by GLE Ltd. »

The mayor says to buy local. Why is it when the city tenders projects they go with non-local contractors regardless of the local contractors that could do the projects.

It's the local economy that pays the city's bills. If the local contractor is not supported, how do we cover your expenses on top of our own. We have to work out of town in order to live here!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... port-local
Last edited by ferri on Aug 28th, 2018, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to article added.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Buy Local

Post by Anonymous123 »

Buy Local? What a joke. Look at all the corn barns. Sounds like someone wants to be re-elected.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

I also laughed when I saw the article. Buying votes that's what it is. Since he's promoting transit so hard when talking about each new development in town, he should also be riding the bus each day to get to work and go grocery shopping. Set the example, right.

The other day I went to Kelly O. Took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot. (Went around the block on Bernard, Mill, Water, Lawrence, nothing. That was on Wednesday mid afternoon.

I stopped at the Impark lot where the beautiful phallus is supposed to be erected across from the Visitor Centre. These crooks wanted $12.50 for 2 hours parking I said screw that I ain't getting f***** today.

Finally I found a spot at Queensway near the liquor store. Machine said $1.25 max 2h. I put in $1.25, printed the ticket and got only 1h.

Finally I put back $2.50 and got 2 hours. Left the first ticket in the machine for the next person to pick it up for free.

Support Local? Sure, but stop making it a pain in the butt. And what's up with the "Mill Street" parking lot being reserved for Parks Alive?
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

mattinkelowna wrote:I also laughed when I saw the article. Buying votes that's what it is.

The other day I went to Kelly O. Took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot. (Went around the block on Bernard, Mill, Water, Lawrence, nothing. That was on Wednesday mid afternoon.

I stopped at the Impark lot where the beautiful phallus is supposed to be erected across from the Visitor Centre. These crooks wanted $12.50 for 2 hours parking I said screw that I ain't getting f***** today.

Finally I found a spot at Queensway near the liquor store. Machine said $1.25 max 2h. I put in $1.25, printed the ticket and got only 1h.

Finally I put back $2.50 and got 2 hours. Left the first ticket in the machine for the next person to pick it up for free.

Support Local? Sure, but stop making in a pain in the butt. And what's up with the "Mill Street" parking lot being reserved for Parks Alive?

Exactly tried to park at rib fest the other day. ended up parking at Prospera.
Not exactly convenient if I wanted to go shopping on Bernard.
Plus I agree with the original poster, should the City itself not be supporting the local businesses that build up the tax base when asking for tenders. I guess it is a fine line on overpaying, but the big picture the local suppliers are also supporting local jobs and families who help build up the city.....
I believe there is a old saying that the City of Kelowna should operate by....Don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

ArcticCatHouse wrote: Plus I agree with the original poster, should the City itself not be supporting the local businesses that build up the tax base when asking for tenders. I guess it is a fine line on overpaying, but the big picture the local suppliers are also supporting local jobs and families who help build up the city.....
I believe there is a old saying that the City of Kelowna should operate by....Don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house

Exactly. If that were the case they would fully support private dispensaries only like Oliver has come legalization time. Put money in local business owners pockets to support local families and not the government. That's just one example... you can go down the line building projects, art commissions etc. As they say talk is cheap.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
missmorgan

Post by missmorgan »

ArcticCatHouse wrote:
Exactly tried to park at rib fest the other day. ended up parking at Prospera.
Not exactly convenient if I wanted to go shopping on Bernard.

The Chapman parkade on Lawrence is free on weekends and has had available spaces every time I've parked there over the last while.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

GLE Ltd. wrote:The mayor says to buy local. Why is it when the city tenders projects they go with non-local contractors regardless of the local contractors that could do the projects.

It's the local economy that pays the city's bills. If the local contractor is not supported, how do we cover your expenses on top of our own. We have to work out of town in order to live here!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... port-local

It is because they are NOT ALLOWED, and TILMA is why:
TILMA requires that government and public entities remove impediments across all economic sectors. The Agreement is comprehensive, applying to all government measures (e.g., legislation, regulations, standards, policies, procedures, guidelines, etc.) affecting trade, investment and labour mobility.
Specifically, TILMA obligates public entities to ensure there are:
No obstacles: government standards and regulations cannot restrict or impair trade, investment or labour mobility between the two provinces.
Non-discrimination: there will be no preferential treatment of a province's people, investments and goods, except for justified actual cost-of-service differences.

Measures adopted and maintained by each Party and its entities must be in compliance with the TILMA. Measures include any legislation, regulation, directive, requirement, or guideline, program, policy, administrative practice or procurement procedure. Entities should ensure that staff involved in the purchase of goods and contracting for services and construction are aware of and understand the rules of the TILMA. Each Party is responsible for TILMA compliance by its entities.
What are the procurement thresholds in TILMA?
TILMA Article 14 sets the procurement thresholds for Governments of Alberta and BC departments, MASH sector and crown corporations.

TILMA's procurement thresholds for these entities are summarized below:
Government Departments
Goods of $10,000 or greater
Services of $75,000 or greater
Construction of $100,000 or greater

MASH Sector
Goods of $75,000 or greater
Services of $75,000 or greater
Construction of $200,000 or greater

For BC crown corporations
Goods of $25,000 or greater
Services of $100,000 or greater
Construction of $100,000 or greater

http://www.tilma.ca/faq_government_public_entity.asp
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

I'll buy locally when local businesses are competitive and provide the service I am looking for. Don't expect me to pay more for less just because someone runs a store locally.
Secondly, if you want to encourage buying locally, make sure to support the things people aren't keen on having to wait to arrive in the post, wish to consult with an expert, or to be able to examine before purchase, such as pot.
Propping up out of date business models, and uncompetitive businesses is not good for consumers and just delays progress. No, I will not buy locally just out of charity, I will instead make informed decisions to help keep our market functioning efficiently.
Once more this council shows how weak their understanding of economics is.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mattinkelowna wrote: Machine said $1.25 max 2h. I put in $1.25, printed the ticket and got only 1h.

Yup it's $1.25per hour with a maximum stay of 2 hrs.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Years ago BC used to promote itself & they had a saying, " What BC makes - makes BC "

Is our Kelowna Visitor Centre filled with locally made things ?

There are lots of talented artists in the Okanagan Valley & we should put their work on the shelves before offshore made products.
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

I might be wrong, but aren't they partially built on Simpson Land? Is running a for profit business allowed in the Covenant?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... port-local hey basassran top secrect information for you here, clean up all the junkies downtown and more people will go downtown and spend there money --see how easy that is
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

one wheel wrote:Years ago BC used to promote itself & they had a saying, " What BC makes - makes BC "

There are lots of talented artists in the Okanagan Valley & we should put their work on the shelves before offshore made products.

I wonder where all those glossy travel brochures are printed.....?
Bring back the LIKE button.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

alanjh595 wrote:
one wheel wrote:Years ago BC used to promote itself & they had a saying, " What BC makes - makes BC "

I wonder where all those glossy travel brochures are printed.....?

Who knows...

After spending several minutes looking through all possible avenues on their website - even if any of it is local - there's nowhere to source it and purchase it online - let alone even know it's there. I guess they're really depending heavily on all this foot traffic.

I also find it interesting that the marketing that's been heavily behind the products for sale in the new TK glass menagerie by the lake is not as first thought. TK's new slogan "Okanagan Love" is not a slogan afterall - but actually the name of a private for profit business:
https://okanaganlove.com/
One would of course expect the brand to be Kelowna specific, since it is the "Tourism Kelowna" headquarters, which, if any visitor even remotely recalls things the way I do, they'll first look up "Kelowna Love" or "Love Kelowna" as I did - and be greeted by any number of adult sex toy shops and other less than tourism oriented sites. Way to go TK. I'd really like to know just where the rest of their merchandise is bought/manufactured....
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

alanjh595 wrote:I wonder where all those glossy travel brochures are printed.....?

If the printed materials services contract for the City is over $75,000, then it's done wherever the lowest bidder is from.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Central Okanagan”