Postby netfreak » Nov 2nd, 2018, 11:02 pm

"Minimum wage jobs galore in Kelowna"

4 people like this post.
netfreak
Übergod

Liked in: 15 posts

Re: Jobs galore in Kelowna

Postby SC001 » Nov 3rd, 2018, 12:52 am

If there are jobs galore in Kelowna, then tell me why I can't find one that suits me? I have office admin training, but have never had the opportunity to utilize that training because, well...I have no on the job experience. Do you think anyone will give me a try? NO! I have a ton of experience and knowledge in cooking but I am now disabled in that field due to back issues, so that's out the window! I was on EI and tried to get help with training or work experience...do you think they helped? NO.

So, Kelowna, if you have jobs galore, why don't you offer a position for someone who has education and ability in administration and a knowledge of the culinary arts? Why do I have to apply for disability when I believe, with the right position, I can work? It's unbelievable! This is supposed to be the culinary capital of BC...so where the hell is MY job?
SC001

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 3rd, 2018, 6:31 am

Interior Health is crying for care aides. Who will work week ends and not call in sick every weekend.

Seriously, just work will ya?
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15595 posts

Postby the truth » Nov 3rd, 2018, 7:20 am

maybe so many of the business in this town need to stop treating there employees like *bleep*,i know lots of people who work but there employer will all cut them short a few hours a week so they do not become full time employees so they do not have to pay them benefits, regardless that there jobs were advertised as full time , - welcome to kelowna people- then the same business owners will come on tv and say they can not any good workers :135: :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

3 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7851 posts

Postby 1nick » Nov 3rd, 2018, 7:25 am

That was just painful to read. I’m going back to bed.

Edit to add: whoosh.
Last edited by 1nick on Nov 3rd, 2018, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

2 people like this post.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1029 posts

Postby Mark1111 » Nov 3rd, 2018, 7:29 am

SC001 wrote:If there are jobs galore in Kelowna, then tell me why I can't find one that suits me? I have office admin training, but have never had the opportunity to utilize that training because, well...I have no on the job experience. Do you think anyone will give me a try? NO! I have a ton of experience and knowledge in cooking but I am now disabled in that field due to back issues, so that's out the window! I was on EI and tried to get help with training or work experience...do you think they helped? NO.

So, Kelowna, if you have jobs galore, why don't you offer a position for someone who has education and ability in administration and a knowledge of the culinary arts? Why do I have to apply for disability when I believe, with the right position, I can work? It's unbelievable! This is supposed to be the culinary capital of BC...so where the hell is MY job?

Ok so let me ask you something. Can you articulate exactly what the title would be of the job you are looking for? I ask for a reason.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Mark1111
Board Meister

Liked in: 412 posts

Postby phasyluck » Nov 3rd, 2018, 8:58 am

netfreak wrote:"Minimum wage jobs galore in Kelowna"

Sadly even trades jobs are "minimum wage" in Kelowna compared to most places!
Sure do love Rutland!!

3 people like this post.
phasyluck
Übergod

Liked in: 772 posts

Postby gardengirl » Nov 3rd, 2018, 9:49 am

Perhaps the people writing these "stories" should check out some of those job postings.
Office Admin jobs asking for a BMA, wage $14hr.
Min 5 years experience, part time, no benefits.
Ridiculous expectations for little pay. Interior Health has a ton of postings, of course you start as casual. Same with the College. Sorry but anyone who actually needs a job cannot start casual.
I also like the way they assume older workers want to work a few hours a week to keep busy....
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

5 people like this post.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 673 posts

Postby OKkayak » Nov 3rd, 2018, 10:13 am

gardengirl wrote:Interior Health has a ton of postings, of course you start as casual. Same with the College. Sorry but anyone who actually needs a job cannot start casual.

Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and work your way up. If their full time positions are worth going for (wages/benefits/etc.) then it might very well be worth the struggle and sacrifices. If it's a permanent casual position, then it may not be for you but there are people out there that it suits just fine.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4932 posts

Postby Even Steven » Nov 3rd, 2018, 11:17 am

People who keep complaining for years over how unappreciated they are in the work world and nobody would hire them and nobody wants to give them what they want...do you ever look in the mirror for a source of problems?

3 people like this post.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2475 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Nov 3rd, 2018, 11:41 am

OKkayak wrote:Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and work your way up. If their full-time positions are worth going for (wages/benefits/etc.) then it might very well be worth the struggle and sacrifices. If it's a permanent casual position, then it may not be for you but there are people out there that it suits just fine.

This sort of position is best for someone who has a significant other with a good job already. It is not possible to live here and eat while trying to earn a living as a casual worker (who would love to jump into full time). It's why I've seen potential teachers and CEA's leave the region. I have one acquaintance who is in Ontario, and she posts on Facebook "waiting for a call" more often than she posts that she'll be supply teaching at X school today.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

3 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4663 posts

Postby Vacancyrate » Nov 3rd, 2018, 11:53 am

Everything's raising but the wages.

Cue the calls for increased immigration and TFW's.
Vacancyrate
Übergod

Liked in: 1096 posts

Postby TMBOkanagan » Nov 3rd, 2018, 11:54 am

When I first moved here about 5 years ago I had trouble finding a job also - despite being trained and educated in a few different fields. I found a few "temp" placements that led me to a career.

I recommend going to WorkBC who can help you refine your resume: https://www.workbckelowna.ca/home/

And some temp agencies like Platinum Personnel.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Liked in: 140 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Nov 3rd, 2018, 12:42 pm

SC001 wrote:If there are jobs galore in Kelowna, then tell me why I can't find one that suits me? I have office admin training, but have never had the opportunity to utilize that training because, well...I have no on the job experience. Do you think anyone will give me a try? NO! I have a ton of experience and knowledge in cooking but I am now disabled in that field due to back issues, so that's out the window! I was on EI and tried to get help with training or work experience...do you think they helped? NO.

Is that your normal job seeking attitude? or are you trying to be ironic?
As an employer, bad attitude is an instant deal breaker, regardless of experience and qualifications.

3 people like this post.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3416 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan