Know the Facts Before Passing Judgement/Postal strike

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Know the Facts Before Passing Judgement/Postal strike

Post by Urban Cowboy »

WalterWhite wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote: :up: Exactly!

Funny how it's always the ones who lack the spine to take a shot at self employment, who feel perfectly justified in making endless demands.

Worse yet, the entitlement to what some feel they are owed because the employer's business is profitable - thinking they deserve a cut. However, if the company suffers losses, do they take a cut in pay to share the good and the bad - never. Ever.

To be fair there have been times when employees agreed to a pay cut as opposed to layoff/company closure, but those examples are few and far apart.

The world needs more places like Gorman's Mill.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
To be fair there have been times when employees agreed to a pay cut as opposed to layoff/company closure, but those examples are few and far apart.

The world needs more places like Gorman's Mill.

Lots of times employees "work share" rather than lay-offs (closures), and then get EI for those days they don't work. You work 4 days instead of 5 and get EI for day 5, almost like getting paid to take time off, not quite of course.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

3 parcels that I mailed to Ontario in November were delivered today (It's Sunday so they must be working OT).

I mailed 2 of them on Nov 27th, and the other a few days after that. So the first 2 were delivered exactly 12 days after they were posted, and the third was even quicker. Pretty good going I'd say; no complaints from me. They all arrived in excellent condition and were delivered right to the door.

So, based on that, I'd say the union are telling the truth when they said that there's a lot of fear mongering going on about lengthy delays.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have a parcel sitting in Customs in Vancouver since Nov 30th. Usually once they show being there it is delivered within 3-4 days. I suspect the backlog is cause by the Postal delays.

I also had about 5 orders cancelled because China Post would not accept parcels to Canada.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Merry wrote:3 parcels that I mailed to Ontario in November were delivered today (It's Sunday so they must be working OT).

I mailed 2 of them on Nov 27th, and the other a few days after that. So the first 2 were delivered exactly 12 days after they were posted, and the third was even quicker. Pretty good going I'd say; no complaints from me. They all arrived in excellent condition and were delivered right to the door.

So, based on that, I'd say the union are telling the truth when they said that there's a lot of fear mongering going on about lengthy delays.

There should have been no delays since that was after back to work legislation was passed and should have been business as usual.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Bsuds wrote:I have a parcel sitting in Customs in Vancouver since Nov 30th. Usually once they show being there it is delivered within 3-4 days. I suspect the backlog is cause by the Postal delays.

I also had about 5 orders cancelled because China Post would not accept parcels to Canada.

I’ve had that happen a couple of times and after inquiring found it was a customs issue not postal.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

WalterWhite wrote:I’ve had that happen a couple of times and after inquiring found it was a customs issue not postal.

Nope, I got messages from the sellers that their postal service was refusing anything to Canada.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Bsuds wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:I’ve had that happen a couple of times and after inquiring found it was a customs issue not postal.

Nope, I got messages from the sellers that their postal service was refusing anything to Canada.

Sorry Bsuds, I meant the parcel you said was sitting in customs not the parcels with China Post.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

WalterWhite wrote:
Bsuds wrote:I have a parcel sitting in Customs in Vancouver since Nov 30th. Usually once they show being there it is delivered within 3-4 days. I suspect the backlog is cause by the Postal delays.

I’ve had that happen a couple of times and after inquiring found it was a customs issue not postal.

Yes, it's happened to me too. One that was mailed from the States got held up at customs in Montreal for ages.

Also, I've had instances where they've not indicated on the tracking that the parcel's actually in transit (even though it was). That happened with 2 of the 3 that were delivered today. They kept showing them as being held up in Richmond due to the labour dispute, and then all of a sudden it switched to "out for delivery". So the transit and mailing part was OK, but the tracking part didn't work as well as it normally does.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Bsuds wrote: I got messages from the sellers that their postal service was refusing anything to Canada.

But that was a management decision (not to accept foreign parcels) not a union decision.

All I can say is that all the parcels I mailed within Canada during the labour dispute arrived in a fairly timely manner (about 3 days longer than usual) and all the ones I've mailed since the strike is over have also arrived in a fairly timely manner.

I'll admit I was very worried (due to all the doom and gloom statements put out by CP) that they wouldn't make it, or would get lost or something, but everything arrived in good order. So credit where credits due; the workers did a fantastic job.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Had a parcel "redirected" - there was nothing wrong with the address it was going to. If my next parcels have the same issue I will definitely lodge a complaint (not that it would make a difference).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Merry wrote:
Bsuds wrote: I got messages from the sellers that their postal service was refusing anything to Canada.

But that was a management decision (not to accept foreign parcels) not a union decision.

All I can say is that all the parcels I mailed within Canada during the labour dispute arrived in a fairly timely manner (about 3 days longer than usual) and all the ones I've mailed since the strike is over have also arrived in a fairly timely manner.

I'll admit I was very worried (due to all the doom and gloom statements put out by CP) that they wouldn't make it, or would get lost or something, but everything arrived in good order. So credit where credits due; the workers did a fantastic job.

Yeah, a "management decision" brought on by union behaviour.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Merry wrote:Also, I've had instances where they've not indicated on the tracking that the parcel's actually in transit (even though it was). That happened with 2 of the 3 that were delivered today. They kept showing them as being held up in Richmond due to the labour dispute, and then all of a sudden it switched to "out for delivery". So the transit and mailing part was OK, but the tracking part didn't work as well as it normally does.

Even before the dispute I've had packages delivered that the "tracking" showed them still in Richmond. lol

It's not always accurate.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

I'm waiting for a parcel from Missisauga mailed Dec. 4, Expedited delivery. Every day I get a notice from Canada Post extending the delivery by 1 day telling me "Parcel may be delayed due to Labour Disruption". The delivery date today is Dec. 21. Yesterday it was the 20th.

Fire the bunch and start over with people who want to work.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

westbankkid wrote:I'm waiting for a parcel from Missisauga mailed Dec. 4, Expedited delivery. Every day I get a notice from Canada Post extending the delivery by 1 day telling me "Parcel may be delayed due to Labour Disruption". The delivery date today is Dec. 21. Yesterday it was the 20th.

Fire the bunch and start over with people who want to work.

I have a possible labour pool to consider drawing from...

download.jpg

Return to “Central Okanagan”