Faith in humanity restored

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Faith in humanity restored

Post by TylerM4 »

Fancy wrote:Telling people they suck is a bit of an uproar.

Now normally i'd let this slide. But you did call me out just a few posts earlier for using the word "gloss" instead of "ignore" :130:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... ish/uproar
An uproar involves many people. A group of people. It's also typically considered to be heard above other noise. In this case I'd say the positive voices have been greater. While the nay-sayers have been few. The negative voices have not been loud, nor have they been in contradiction of the the idea they're simply not what you want to hear.In short, it takes more than 1 angry person and a couple of other people saying "there are some downsides to this" to qualify as an uproar.

I think this is something that's important to reflect on. Reviewing this entire thread, there is 1 person who has posted saying that they wish this hadn't happened. 1 person out of many (including myself) who are grateful it has happened.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There is public criticism is there not? (another definition) and not from just one poster. There will be others I'm sure.
It's just too bad that the people that try to lend a hand get a tongue lashing. Let those that are wishing to better someone's life do so without making it harder.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dorf007
Fledgling

Post by dorf007 »

A little Christmas miracle came early.

A BIG thanks to all that helped....you are awesome ! :up:
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

I love the sentiment and place of goodness the offer of the barn to Maurice came from but I too fear the bylaws, neighbors, other homeless insinuating themselves into Maurice's good fortune will cause problems.

I think it was Tyler44 who mentioned it being likened to an illegal suite and I tend to agree that could cause a ripple in the water.

It doesn't have indoor plumbing but does have a porty-potty which I'm not sure would be an issue or not. It might have to have proper number of doors & windows for egress, insulation, fire safety regarding the space heaters, etc to be up to fire code. You know all those things that suddenly change it from being a gesture of kindness to a giant pain. Other issues mentioned by other posters could certainly spoil the pudding too. Probably should just have kept it between themselves and Maurice but then they wouldn't have had the help they needed to get it cozy for him. I hope it all does work out for them but it just might get made into a bigger deal than simply providing a roof over poor ol' Maurice's head for the winter.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm wondering how this guy slid thru the cracks for 33 years.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bpeep wrote:I'm wondering how this guy slid thru the cracks for 33 years.

ask kael she must be sleeping on the job, to busy posting on castanet indoors instead of boots on the ground ,dealing with the real world
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Bpeep wrote:I'm wondering how this guy slid thru the cracks for 33 years.

Some people prefer to do that...
ETA: actually, flying under the radar that long takes a bit of effort.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Hope this story has a happy ending
Hope we hear how it all pans out
Since that homeless man gives last coins for gas story in the States I am skeptical
Besides not sure housing an elderly man in a Barn restores my faith..
but wait, Jesus born in a Manger
Any Service including the hospital should have told the poor Man how to get the cheques he was entitled to..
33 years on the streets, he has some stories to share
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

W105 wrote:I have a feeling Maurice didn't have much faith in humanity as he had to be coaxed into telling the wonderful woman who started all of this what he actually needed..

pretty sure he's seen very little kindness in those 33 yrs on the street...

Just a kind old sole who likely did not wish to beg, borrow or steal. Not many like him. I'd like to meet this man and take him for lunnch.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Besides not sure housing an elderly man in a Barn restores my faith..
but wait, Jesus born in a Manger

If that manger was in the City of Kelowna , Bylaw would be all over Joseph and Mary with eviction notices and bylaw infraction tickets .. If the District of Lake Country is the same , I doubt Maurice will be there long ...

IMO , for his sake , this thread should be shut down .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

W105 wrote:hah..this is Kelowna where homes are turning into hotels...back in the 90's many were illegal grow shows (many old timers in this town is how they made their money) and many people are renting out "rooms" just to cover their rent or mortgage...so giving some old guy a warm place to stay for the cold mths is pretty minor in the scheme of things...

What is sad, drive from the corner of the roundabout on Valley Road to Summit. There is a boarded duplex and also a old stucco homestead. Both decommissioned because, the City By-law will not permit that many homes on ALR land. Now, why could these homes not be upgraded if needed and rented out to people like we speak of at a very low rate? It is beyond me what this counsel thinks.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Ken7 wrote:
W105 wrote:hah..this is Kelowna where homes are turning into hotels...back in the 90's many were illegal grow shows (many old timers in this town is how they made their money) and many people are renting out "rooms" just to cover their rent or mortgage...so giving some old guy a warm place to stay for the cold mths is pretty minor in the scheme of things...

What is sad, drive from the corner of the roundabout on Valley Road to Summit. There is a boarded duplex and also a old stucco homestead. Both decommissioned because, the City By-law will not permit that many homes on ALR land. Now, why could these homes not be upgraded if needed and rented out to people like we speak of at a very low rate? It is beyond me what this counsel thinks.

You can’t be serious...
One word - liability.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

WalterWhite wrote:
You can’t be serious...
One word - liability.

Walter, actually I am serious. We currently have a shortage of housing in Kelowna that is affordable. The Social Assistance could likely save money by utilizing properties like this. Although the City is against it.

It would be much more reasonable then a apartment at $1,200 - $1,400.00 a month.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

If one property owner can get away with it, then I want to also.
Issues like this would clog the courts fast.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bpeep wrote:If one property owner can get away with it, then I want to also.
Issues like this would clog the courts fast.

But ... You don't have a barn .

You wanna rent out that sex dungeon in the basement ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”