Munson Pond a Gravel Pit?

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Munson Pond a Gravel Pit?

Post by Bsuds »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... unson-pond

Story on Castanet claims that Munson Pond started as a gravel pit. My wife who was born in Kelowna and lived very close to it as a child thinks that is wrong and it was never a gravel pit. (she is usually right about stuff like this)

The Cities web site mentions nothing about it being one either.

https://www.kelowna.ca/parks-recreation ... -pond-park

Anyone else out there have any info on this.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Munson Pond a Gravel Pit?

Post by oneh2obabe »

'twas before her time Sudsy.
The pond is not a natural feature of the landscape. It’s the site of an old gravel pit that was used to haul rock for construction of the first Okanagan Lake bridge in the late 1950s, and then filled with water over time.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... 65252.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Is it rectangular. . FIRST CLUE. If there is no inlet no outlet, in the middle of a plain, that is unusual. Unless man-made.
We had one in our neighborhood, around where the Army surplus store is on Dolphin. , became an awesome pond in short order.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

Munson Pond is an incredible place, and not far at all off the beaten path. There's a path around it with no elevation change and 2 viewing platforms. Also a few decent sized clonal colonies of Cottonwood and Aspen trees. These are now rare in Kelowna, mainly due to development. Its only been a park for a few years, so still needs a little more work, but has come a long ways already. The area near the parking lot used to be just saturated with weeds, but they have mostly been replaced with native plants. Studies are still being done about what lives in the pond. Go check it out, its a 20 minute walk around the pond.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Roy Wold (spelling may be wrong) who lived at the little acreage on Munson Road told me it was a gravel pit many years ago. He is born and raised in Kelowna and had an orchard in East Kelowna prior to buying the acreage on Munson Road. I used to visit him often and told me many stories relating to "way back when" in Kelowna.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Are there still big/ high chunks of clay sticking up out near the middle?
I remember a few there years ago.

Return to “Central Okanagan”