Westside Warriors Desperation

Chessman

Re: Westside Warriors Desperation

Post by Chessman »

I have been a fan of BCJHL ( now BCHL ) since the Kelowna Bucharoo days and am well aware that most franchises struggle to even break even. Wenatchee, Penticton and Chilliwack may make a small profit most years but it in no way justifies the $750,000 to $1,250,000 cost of a franchise in the BCHL. Vernon despite good teams , championships and 1500+ fan attendance still lost money virtually every year. Vernon was fortunate the Dr. Wray subsidized the operation.
You are not an owner in the BCHL to make money.
The Westside Warriors situation is not positive. They have struggled for attendance and financially since they moved to the Central Okanagan. It sounds like the owner can’t afford to operate the team, and in my view you have ask yourself has ownership mismanaged the franchise? Now he is “calling out “ the community for support. That Never works!!! Build a good product on the ice, market the team, build relationships with sponsors and a creat positive image in the community with community involvement with players and you have a chance for success. In the view of many the owners of the Warriors have dropped the ball. Work on the basics and build the franchise or sell and get out.
My bet is they don’t own the franchise this time next year.
If other investors can’t be found this franchise could move. Remember the Rockets are still the hockey franchise in the Central Okanagan.
PS.. no other hockey team in KIJHL , BCHL , AHL , ECHL other than Kelowna minor hockey can play at a Prospera without approval on the Rockets. So no AHL team is coming to Kelowna
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.
suzuki

Post by suzuki »

I have been a fan of BCJHL ( now BCHL ) since the Kelowna Bucharoo days and am well aware that most franchises struggle to even break even. Wenatchee, Penticton and Chilliwack may make a small profit most years but it in no way justifies the $750,000 to $1,250,000 cost of a franchise in the BCHL. Vernon despite good teams , championships and 1500+ fan attendance still lost money virtually every year. Vernon was fortunate the Dr. Wray subsidized the operation.
The Westside Warriors situation is not positive. They have struggled for attendance and financially since they moved to the Central Okanagan. It sounds like the owner can’t afford to operate the team, and in my view you have ask yourself has ownership mismanaged the franchise? Now he is “calling out “ the community for support. That Never works!!! Build a good product on the ice, market the team, build relationships with sponsors and a creat positive image in the community with community involvement with players and you have a chance for success. In the view of many the owners of the Warriors have dropped the ball. Work on the basics and build the franchise or sell and get out.
If other investors can’t be found this franchise could move. Remember the Rockets are still the hockey franchise in the Central Okanagan.
PS.. no other hockey team in KIJHL , BCHL , AHL , ECHL other than Kelowna minor hockey can play at a Prospera without approval on the Rockets. So no AHL team is coming to Kelowna

" I would say you nailed it ! Could not have said it any better.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Westside Warriors, Good hockey, Exciting, Great venue, Best Burgers and fries in town, Good seats, Great atmosphere, Last Saturday 1000+ in attendance. And affordable!
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

Name it Kelowna Warriors
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Westside Warriors had a better ring to it....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

A BCHL franchise existing in close proximity to a WHL franchise is difficult to sustain
smoky500
Fledgling

Post by smoky500 »

tickets for a BCHL game are almost half compared to WHL ($16 vs $25+)
much more affordable, still entertaining, skilled hockey. So with the right advertising and promotion should be able to get fans out
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

aaaannnnnnddddd they fired the coach......again
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I dont know...the owner just didnt like the coach and usually when a new owner or GM comes in they usually do a sweeping change to fit their style going forward...he was acting interim and not the actual coach it was pressure that put him into a coach position.

and even though this is just hearsay...maybe this something to do with it?

https://www.castanet.net/news/BCHL/2439 ... n-baseless
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

gman313 wrote:aaaannnnnnddddd they fired the coach......again

Interesting - it doesn’t actually say he was fired:

He replaces Geoff Grimwood who has left the organization.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Went to Saturdays game with my son and we had a blast. Disappointing loss considering they were up 3-0 but fast paced, well played hockey. These kids do not take a shift off unlike many WHL games I've been to. Only 3 home games left in the season so try and get out if you can.

Only 3 home games left in the season. Try and get one in if you can.
Sabumnim123

Post by Sabumnim123 »

suzuki wrote:I have been a fan of BCJHL ( now BCHL ) since the Kelowna Bucharoo days and am well aware that most franchises struggle to even break even. Wenatchee, Penticton and Chilliwack may make a small profit most years but it in no way justifies the $750,000 to $1,250,000 cost of a franchise in the BCHL. Vernon despite good teams , championships and 1500+ fan attendance still lost money virtually every year. Vernon was fortunate the Dr. Wray subsidized the operation.

" I would say you nailed it ! Could not have said it any better.

So, Suzuki:

What exactly has he "nailed"? That he is a negative p.o.s. ? By the way, Chessman, we are not living in the dark ages, anymore. I,too, have "followed" the league since the BCJHL days, yeah, the Quesnel Millionaires, The Penticton Knights, and the Vernon Lakers, why not mention them, too ? The Westside Warriors, Chessman ? Are you part of that old, clicky West Kelowna guard, you know, the old farts that run the Westbank Lions Club. LOL Good grief ! Dobranski perhaps did the right thing by asking the community to support the hockey team. In my view, you can ask for the sale ? There's no harm, especially if the community is anti-business and, anti-hockey ? There's a lot of you old coggers who hate sports and hate everything ? However, Dobransky may well hang in there, as long as he wants, just to p off you negative Westbankers. He may have no choice. I doubt whether anybody else local will buy the club. The league may have to own it, again ? That would be quite an embarassing turn, to go from national champions to bankruptcy in just three years. The team has significantly devalued in price since Cheyne got his offer in Delta from the Chinese guy. I mean, nothing lasts foreever, just ask the California Golden Seals, the Atlanta Flames, and Kansas City Scouts.

I think that if the Warriors sold it locally, they would have to intice a big name NHLer or someone with a connection with the franchise, like Justin Schultz, or someone with an actual hockey background to bring instant credibility ?

The Warriors have done a very decent job, so far, of providing a good brand of entertaining hockey. Regarding the demise of Geoff Grimwood, we must remember that Grimwood was a hire from the previous GM (Rylan Ferster), so Grimwood was not exactly Dobransky's hire, was he ? Grimwood was more or less forced on Dobransky by the players revolt.

Anyhow, they cleaned house with the business manager, the office manager. the head coach, the assistant coach, the play by play man, the old pr dept, all leaving and Grimwood was the last remnant of personnel from the Cheyne era.

Now, the slate is clean and Dobranski finally has his own team. They deserve a chance.

Is it too little, too late ? I don't know. Time will tell, but I think everyone in WK should support the Warriors until the bitter end and yes, go and see a Warrior's game, especially if it is too late ?
Chessman

Post by Chessman »

Sabumnim123.... ( a “master” [icon_lol2.gif] ) ...wow I got under your skin. Your insecurities are so obviously rooted in your post. Your deduction skills are lacking... I am not from Westbank or West Kelowna or Westside ( that bridge traffic is awful) .
BTW...
I’m not an old fart and I am sure the Kelowna Lions Club does lots of good for your community. Disparaging an important service club is unbecoming.
I have my opinion, you have yours.
Have a nice day :up: .
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Comments on a rumoured move to Williams Lake?
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

twofingers wrote:Comments on a rumoured move to Williams Lake?

I would think it would depend on Quesnel getting another team, once their new rink is built.
A three-team northern swing would make sense, much like an island trip.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou

Return to “Central Okanagan”