Mom of Addict speaks out....

dle
Lord of the Board

Mom of Addict speaks out....

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... ict-speaks

Yet another person with an addicted family member who wants IH to STOP enabling their loved ones and BUILD REHABS instead of DRUG DENS.

WHEN will the people advocating for these wet houses start listening?
littlebratt

Re: Mom of Addict speaks out....

Post by littlebratt »

i agree with the mom, my child is out there too,they need treatment and recovery facilities!!
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Lost at least a dozen school mates already. Another one last month. Harm promotion is not working. Look to Singapore they have no drug issues
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/253046/Mom-of-an-addict-speaks

Yet another person with an addicted family member who wants IH to STOP enabling their loved ones and BUILD REHABS instead of DRUG DENS.

WHEN will the people advocating for these wet houses start listening?

to bad the people in charge like ih, bc housing and jhs are clueless
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Country plough boy wrote:Lost at least a dozen school mates already. Another one last month. Harm promotion is not working. Look to Singapore they have no drug issues

https://www.tripsavvy.com/drug-laws-in- ... re-1629780

Interesting, but with all the bleeding hearts it would never be adopted here.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Country plough boy wrote:Lost at least a dozen school mates already. Another one last month. Harm promotion is not working. Look to Singapore they have no drug issues

Bsuds wrote:https://www.tripsavvy.com/drug-laws-in- ... re-1629780

Interesting, but with all the bleeding hearts it would never be adopted here.

It's not only the bleeding hearts, it is also the protection of criminals that PET placed within our constitution.

Which is untouchable, reason being take a look at what happened last time they tried to alter something in the constitution.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Yes, not wanting the state to murder people over possession of marijuana is a bleeding heart trait.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Gilchy wrote:Yes, not wanting the state to murder people over possession of marijuana is a bleeding heart trait.

There are many other drugs on the street besides the now legalized pot.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

indeed
Last edited by the truth on Apr 3rd, 2019, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Gilchy wrote:Yes, not wanting the state to murder people over possession of marijuana is a bleeding heart trait.

The other two weren't native Singaporeans, I'm betting they were harsher because it was one of their own.

I doubt it would work here either, we lack the key component of respect that Asian nations seem to generally have. Now in Western culture, it's all about self and forget everyone else.
I haven't failed until I quit.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Ok, but the addicts need to want and actually check themselves into a rehab facility. I get that there aren't enough of these facilities available as is, but how many addicts would voluntarily admit themselves and at who's cost? Harm prevention is in place because it's just accepted that many people will not attempt to get clean, or will fail to be successful. In the mean time, they're risking their life every time they take the street drugs.

I think harm prevention is key, but adding more rehab facilities would be good.

Since drug addition is viewed as self harm, I think it would be good to empower the RCMP with all of the tools of the mental health act to arrest the addicts, not in a punitive way, but to get them into a province funded and operated drug rehab facility and psychological counselling. Taking them to the hospital should be the first step, not the only one.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

youjustcomplain wrote:

Ok, but the addicts need to want and actually check themselves into a rehab facility. I get that there aren't enough of these facilities available as is, but how many addicts would voluntarily admit themselves and at who's cost? Harm prevention is in place because it's just accepted that many people will not attempt to get clean, or will fail to be successful. In the mean time, they're risking their life every time they take the street drugs.

Since drug addition is viewed as self harm, I think it would be good to empower the RCMP with all of the tools of the mental health act to arrest the addicts, not in a punitive way, but to get them into a province funded and operated drug rehab facility and psychological counselling. Taking them to the hospital should be the first step, not the only one.

While i think Singapore is very harsh about drug laws. I got to admit. What they do. Works. People do not bother with drugs there. They have higher standards of living than we do here. Higher incomes. Etc. I am always amazed how in Canada we refuse to enforce most laws. It really does lead to more crime being committed.

This is about drug policy however. What we are doing in Kelowna is worse than doing nothing. We are actually growing the problem. Via tax dollars. Some are even pushing for legal heroin being given out for free to addicts
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

youjustcomplain wrote:

Since we (the public) are already paying for safe injection sites and free needles, etc; why not put that money into rehab centres where addicts cannot shoot up but can get OFF this crap. After all, even simple possession of most of these drugs is highly illegal, these people can be arrested and forced to go there. These safe-injection sites are not helping to get people OFF this stuff; thats plainly obvious.
Kyoddie56

Post by Kyoddie56 »

I totally agree, no more safe injection sites or wet facilities.
Total waste of money by allowing that‼️‼️‼️‼️
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Kyoddie56 wrote:I totally agree, no more safe injection sites or wet facilities.
Total waste of money by allowing that‼️‼️‼️‼️

Glad you agree. Now, for the few bleeding hearts who do not agree, how about this: We ask the addicts when they come into a safe-injection site..."do you want to kick the habit?". If they say yes, then off they go to a rehab facility where they will be given the best possible chance to get off this crap. The present system is simply not working whatsoever.

Return to “Central Okanagan”