Maxine blames you!

Mark1111
Board Meister

Re: Maxine blames you!

Post by Mark1111 »

Fancy wrote:I am not skirting the issue. This topic was started because of a survey and mistaken ideas of what was said. Your response is proof of that.

Well then I humbly stand corrected. My interpretation was that Maxine indicated citizens were responsible for their own loss because they left their doors unlocked. Perhaps I misunderstood the article? The underlying truth is that Council is now resigned to blaming the victim for theft crimes because Council can’t come up with a solution to the problem. If your interpretation is different then I welcome your response.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

And there we have it..........a “Public Service Announcement” from the scholar Maxine DeHart.
............you may now go back to your usual self-serving little world and spare us all what you consider intelligence.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Why are people allowed to steal shopping carts. Why is that crime never prosecuted.

Why is it ok to leave heroin needles in parks and on sidewalks.

Why are vagrancy laws not enforced. Public intoxication laws. Etc.

Since when was it ok to have no address. No job. No legitimate income. Yet be on the streets making life miserable for those who work.

One way bus ticket to a remote logging road would be a good start for a lot of the problems
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Holiday long weekend. Ill be working thru it. Nice to know i dont have too. Could always go look for unlocked doors. Be someone elses fault. Yep unlocked doors create theft.

Who thinks like that ?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lol - as if there aren't thieves around that won't take the opportunity of an easy steal. Who thinks like that?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Country plough boy wrote:Holiday long weekend. Ill be working thru it. Nice to know i dont have too. Could always go look for unlocked doors. Be someone elses fault. Yep unlocked doors create theft.

Who thinks like that ?

basran and his clowns think like that
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Maxine pointed out the fact in the study that almost 50% do not report theft. If more did then there would be a better idea of the actual crime figures. She would like to do something about it but what are the solutions? People don't want to pay higher taxes for more police so then what? Knowing the trend isn't it better to discourage thieves instead of attracting them?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

maybe she can hold another useless breakfast at the hotel and block hwy97 during peak am work hrs like they always do, after all it is allways about her
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

And in other News.
The RCMP say that if you follow the rules, you will be less likely to get a ticket.
The head of ICBC said that if you pay attention when you are driving you will be less likely to crash into something.
Yup, this victim shaming is out of control.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:maybe she can hold another useless breakfast at the hotel and block hwy97 during peak am work hrs like they always do, after all it is allways about her
So just another smart remark that diminishes United Way (that ended 2018) on top of it. If it's all about her why make it about you? A little inconvenience that everyone can plan well ahead of time.

$110,000 raised going back to the community and you have to find fault with that?

“One hundred percent of the proceeds go directly towards United Way and the community. Everything is donated,” Dahl said. “We’re just overwhelmed by the support.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4537696/hear ... n-kelowna/
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

like i said she makes it about her
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lol hardly but the event wouldn't have happened without her. What do you have against money collected going to the community?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Of course people should secure their things if they can. No one's saying that's bad advice, regardless of the source.

What people take issue with, is that Councillor DeHart, who is supposed to be on our side, saying things like "I can't believe people are still leaving their cars unlocked" instead of focusing on the issue of crime itself. As others have said, I can lock up my stuff, but if a perp keeps looking, they'll eventually find someone who didn't. Additionally, we've all seen and heard examples of thieves going to the ends of the earth in their efforts to steal something. Look at the break-in at Yama's a couple of weeks ago. The guy came in through the frickin' exhaust vent. If criminals are willing to go that far, then none of us are truly safe.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It still appears posters are not understanding the point of the article.

Here's the survey:

https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... ntId=22143
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

"We've had an ongoing campaign of Don't Be An Easy Target for the City of Kelowna. One of the driving forces of getting the perception of safety survey underway was to better target that campaign to our community and learning better mediums to getting that messaging out."
It's not a bad message.

Return to “Central Okanagan”