Safeway

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Safeway

Post by OKkayak »

westbankkid wrote:This FreshCo rebranding looks like it will be set to compete with Aldi if they ever come to our area.

Aldi is awesome. Sure as hell wish they would come here

Nothing in Canada even remotely comes close to competing with Aldi.

W105 wrote:well it's crazy then how Costco can have great prices and can also pay their staff decent wages with good benefits..

Completely different business model.

LTD wrote:Dunno never been in Walmart or a dollar store,

Good for you.
LTD wrote:Safeway has done just fine for over twenty years that I have shopped there and Walmart and dollar stores were around then,

Sears has done just fine for many years, until they sank as they could no longer compete because consumers were going elsewhere.
LTD wrote:this is about slashing wages and selling lower quality products to the consumer in the name of more profit.

No, this is about keeping a business remaining in business.
LTD wrote:If Safeway wasn't profitable they would close the location all together, they want to cut wages and the easiest way is to close the location and rebadge it as a low budget Freshco.

Safeway isn't profitable, FreshCo is proving to be profitable. Giving up a location that is ready to go, closing it and restarting elsewhere would be a waste of money.
LTD wrote:You can shop there if you like but im out I will not support a place that does business this way.

If they give me value for my money, I will shop there. If they don't, I won't. I support businesses that give me the most for my dollar.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

online shopping killed sears so comparing the two makes zero sense its not the same scenario, enjoy freshco and your perceived value for your money (on the backs of wages rolled back employees) I don't mind paying a little more for quality when it comes to food, to each their own :130:
NachoManRandySalad

Post by NachoManRandySalad »

Bring in Trader Joes!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

LTD wrote:online shopping killed sears so comparing the two makes zero sense its not the same scenario, enjoy freshco and your perceived value for your money (on the backs of wages rolled back employees) I don't mind paying a little more for quality when it comes to food, to each their own :130:

It’s the same. Sears’ customers went elsewhere, Sears didn’t adapt. Safeway’s customers are going elsewhere, they have to adapt.

Value doesn’t mean low quality, you can still get great quality for less money when one shops around.

My number one priority is my own financial well being, not the financial well being of others.

NachoManRandySalad wrote:Bring in Trader Joes!

Heck yeah! :up:
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

so explain how Costco can manage to have great prices, good quality and pay decent wages....and sorry I am not buying that they have a different model of a grocery store..

they sell food/meds and household items (and offer bulk items) Walmart and Superstore offer the exact same thing...

if you really believe that you are somehow going to get cheaper, good quality products and service because this company (who has 9 billion dollars in assets) is going to put YOU the customer first, you're nuts...

and I'm with LTD..I don't mind paying more for good quality FOOD...food is kind of important to me and my family...
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

W105 wrote:so explain how Costco can manage to have great prices, good quality and pay decent wages....and sorry I am not buying that they have a different model of a grocery store..

they sell food/meds and household items (and offer bulk items) Walmart and Superstore offer the exact same thing...

if you really believe that you are somehow going to get cheaper, good quality products and service because this company (who has 9 billion dollars in assets) is going to put YOU the customer first, you're nuts...

and I'm with LTD..I don't mind paying more for good quality FOOD...food is kind of important to me and my family...

If you can’t figure out that Costco has a completely different business model than other retailers, then there’s no point explaining to you, but one on the key elements is required membership.

I don’t have to believe that I can get quality food for less money, I know I can. The only ones who are nuts are those who actually convince themselves that they have to pay more for quality.

I have a serious sweet tooth for Lucky Charms, anyone one who wants to pay $7 for the same box of the same cereal vs $4 because they feel it makes them a better person, well, more power to you :up:

Quality food is very important to me as well, doesn’t mean you can get it for less.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well Freshco will be going with pre packaged food...nothing fresh made in store...pre packaged food that comes from Ontario isn't high quality...as for the membership fee at Costco's, they come with lots of benefits/cash back etc...Superstore offers free gifts and points if you spend a certain amount...Walmart offers their Mastercard for points...
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

There are some incredibly dense folks on here.

Look at the list of highest net worth Canadians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _net_worth

Quite a few grocery men in there . Quite a few near the top
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

W105 wrote:well Freshco will be going with pre packaged food...nothing fresh made in store...pre packaged food that comes from Ontario isn't high quality...as for the membership fee at Costco's, they come with lots of benefits/cash back etc...Superstore offers free gifts and points if you spend a certain amount...Walmart offers their Mastercard for points...

If FreshCo doesn’t give me value for my dollar, I won’t shop there, simple as that. If others feel the same, it’ll fail and they’ll have to figure out a better strategy or close shop.

As for your earlier comment about putting the customer first, if they offer me quality for less money, that is putting me first. I could care less how much in assets they have or don’t have, all that matters to me is that my cupboards are full and I still have money in my wallet.
Last edited by OKkayak on Jun 10th, 2019, 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Country plough boy wrote:There are some incredibly dense folks on here.

Look at the list of highest net worth Canadians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _net_worth

Quite a few grocery men in there . Quite a few near the top

The only thing that is dense is your post. What does that have to do with anything? Absolutely nothing.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Ok Kayak. You are welcome to shop at Freshco. This thread is about Safeway. The good jobs lost. The good people who worked there. Thank you for your input sir
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Country plough boy wrote:Ok Kyak. You are welcome to shop at Freshco. This thread is about Safeway. The good jobs lost. The good people who worked there. Thank you for your input sir

Safeway is closing one of their stores and turning it into a FreshCo, hence the article, hence the thread, hence the discussion. But thank you for your pointless comment.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

In reality Canada Safeway doesn't exist anymore... just as Petro-Canada doesn't exist.
It's just the parent company has left the signage as is.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Curious thing last night was watching tv and noticed a commercial.
I wonder if sobeys got the rights to use a Fleetwood Mac song on their commercial. I remember many years BOM used a Bob Dylan song without permission, it was pulled real fast.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

How to make a losing grocery store that is unionized profitable. Rebrand, let employees go. Offer them a buy out. Offer them a job in the news store at 25% less salary non-union.

Return to “Central Okanagan”