Blood, Needles found in car....

Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Blood, Needles found in car....

Post by Mike Br. »

JayByrd wrote:So saying it failed because "it didn't solve all our problems" is incorrect. We have all kinds of resources for people who have cancer, too, but sometimes they still die.

This is such a lame comparison. Where cancer programs may not work for some, they certainly don't make things worse for the patients, nor the society. Totally opposite from these "homlessness programs", which are not only an utter failure, but were not even designed to fix the problem, but to be instrument of self-promotion, virtue-signaling, and personal gains for those pushing them. We all know which political stripes they wear.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Mike Br. wrote:
JayByrd wrote:So saying it failed because "it didn't solve all our problems" is incorrect. We have all kinds of resources for people who have cancer, too, but sometimes they still die.

This is such a lame comparison. Where cancer programs may not work for some, they certainly don't make things worse for the patients, nor the society.

But I wasn't using "homelessness programs" in the comparison. I realize that you may prefer to lump together everything from a street nurse to homeless shelters to safe injection together, but I don't.

I'm not saying we need more resources devoted to this, or that the ones we have are really helping much, overall.
But sure, take it all away. Take away all the safety, all the housing. Have these people on the streets 24/7. See if things get better or worse. There are two competing ideas here...one, that we can throw enough money at this problem, "help" enough people, and we'll make a difference. Two, that we can take away everything, and the homeless and addicted will just disappear. Both are fantasy.

I think there are people on both sides of this issue who are pushing ideas mainly meant to make themselves feel better.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

JayByrd wrote:There are two competing ideas here...one, that we can throw enough money at this problem, "help" enough people, and we'll make a difference. Two, that we can take away everything, and the homeless and addicted will just disappear. Both are fantasy.
I think there are people on both sides of this issue who are pushing ideas mainly meant to make themselves feel better.

How do you know something is "fantasy", if you haven't tried it? You just declared it a fantasy, because it doesn't fit your narrative. That's it. The "Helping" approach has been an abysmal failure, and we keep pushing it over and over again, every time expecting different results. That's a definiton of insanity. Yes, in my mind, we have to start dealing harshly with them, but not because I feel good about it, but because, I'm afraid, that is the only option left.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!

Return to “Central Okanagan”