Rail Trail

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Rail Trail

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Well his would that work, LTD doesn't want them on the road either. You thought the rail trail would take forever to get paid for. Now that it's in steady use, you want bikes off it ?

As I said before build a horse trail on the east side of Kalamalka..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Well his would that work, LTD doesn't want them on the road either. You thought the rail trail would take forever to get paid for. Now that it's in steady use, you want bikes off it ?

As I said before build a horse trail on the east side of Kalamalka..

I've seen some pretty serious damage to the trails from horses; their hooves are not gentle on such surfaces, plus they leave some nasty droppings, which owners never pick up.

Was down in West Vancouver recently and noticed that their paths along the ocean (though they are paved) are divided; bikes on one side, pedestrians on the other and you don't dare tread on the wrong side without getting yelled at (rightly so). Might have to come to that in the Okanagan, though would have to be signage only as our trails are not paved for the most part.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

It not a bike of people problem, it's a lack of courtesy. If you are 3 abreast, go to single file when others approach.. quite simple really..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:It not a bike of people problem, it's a lack of courtesy. If you are 3 abreast, go to single file when others approach.. quite simple really..

this really sums it up. Doesn't matter if you are walking, running, rollerblading, crab walking, unicycling, cycling, tricycling or doing cartwheels. Single file when others approach is a basic thing that would allow all users to enjoy the trail at their own pace.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

If ebikes are allowed then e scooters should be allowed also? What could possibly go wrong?
bertw

Post by bertw »

If ATV's were allowed on the trail you would all be in a united uproar......but instead you fight among yourselves anyway, too funny!! FWIW: Most ATVers support multi use trails.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The only time I can get out an enjoy the trail is during
torrential rain falls.
Otherwise it's too busy to be a joy.

Might as well walk down the centre of Harvey ave. is how busy it is
past my place when the weather is nice.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

What sections of the Rail Trail are busy?

I've only been on the trail twice in the section between Dilworth and the airport. That was late morning twice last week. The trail was wide open and I saw perhaps 10 cyclists pass me going south as I headed north and about the same number when I came back down. I Saw only 2 pedestrians each time. It felt like a bike super highway with no traffic. The section between Dilworth and the lake had more people, but as usual it wasn't crowded

It's really cool to be able to ride from the lake shore all the way up the trail to the airport for some plane watching without ever using the road. It's a gentle up hill almost all the way, but of course you are riding down hill almost all the way back.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Sonny Taylor wrote:What sections of the Rail Trail are busy?

Anywhere betwixt Winfield and Coldstream is a complete gong show of idjits and morons.

The posers, the unfit turning their new leaf, the pale tourist, the egotistical world traveler.

And their antics on the trail is just a portion of the show.
All the vehicles they bring that they park every which way, in any available piece of property,
legal or not just adds to the BS.

Hope these people at least drop buckets of cash to the local businesses.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Post by soontoberetired »

We have been on both Rail Trail legs (Manhattan to north end of YLW and Holiday Park to Cold Stream). The most picturesque section is from Woodsdale Road along the east side of Wood Lake and then along the west side of Kal Lake from Oyama to Coldstream. This last section is busy and has wonderful scenery. Yes there are a few yahoos.... but that should not discourage biking/nature enthusiasts.
Last edited by soontoberetired on Aug 6th, 2019, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you cannot stay young, stay immature!
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

soontoberetired wrote:We have been on both Rail Trail legs (Manhattan to north end of YLW and Holiday Park to Cold Stream). The most picturesque is section is from Woodsdale Road along the east side of Wood Lake and then along the west side of Kal Lake from Oyama to Coldstream. This last section is busy and very has wonderful scenery. Yes there are a few yahoos.... but that should not discourage biking/nature enthusiasts.

Thanks for that. Do you or anyone else know if the information on the Rail Trail website is up to date?

The map shows the trail closed from the airport to Winfield. The FAQ page says that this section can now be designed and prepared for construction since the funds have been raised. Also, are any sections from Winfield to Coldstream paved? The website does not seem to indicate that.

Map link: https://dlc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webapp ... cc6f3806e8

RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Sonny Taylor wrote:
soontoberetired wrote:We have been on both Rail Trail legs (Manhattan to north end of YLW and Holiday Park to Cold Stream). The most picturesque is section is from Woodsdale Road along the east side of Wood Lake and then along the west side of Kal Lake from Oyama to Coldstream. This last section is busy and very has wonderful scenery. Yes there are a few yahoos.... but that should not discourage biking/nature enthusiasts.

Thanks for that. Do you or anyone else know if the information on the Rail Trail website is up to date?

The map shows the trail closed from the airport to Winfield. The FAQ page says that this section can now be designed and prepared for construction since the funds have been raised. Also, are any sections from Winfield to Coldstream paved? The website does not seem to indicate that.

Map link: https://dlc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webapp ... cc6f3806e8

It's "closed" from the airport to Winfield until that land can be removed from the Reserve, but it is passable if you can lift your bike over a fence ... It is not well maintained on that stretch, but definitely rideable. There are signs saying "no trespass", but judging by the pushed down fence, many people do anyways - I did it once last year and it was no problem, just be respectful of the area and don't linger around other than the time it takes to get through there, I doubt you'll get any hassle...

Nothing is paved from Winfield to Coldstream.
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Post by soontoberetired »

Yes it is not paved but the shale has been compacted. It is much easier than riding your bike on the Mission Greenway.
If you cannot stay young, stay immature!
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

soontoberetired wrote:Yes it is not paved but the shale has been compacted. It is much easier than riding your bike on the Mission Greenway.

The dust that comes off the trail is hard on your bike's equipment ... it gets into the cassette, chain and derailleurs and binds them up. I need to wash and re-lube my bike regularly after riding on the trail.

Return to “Central Okanagan”