8 yr old OD at AS Matheson

Grand Pooh-bah

8 yr old OD at AS Matheson

Post by 1791 »

Oh my. This poor child. Hopefully the school can find out where this mysterious powder came from. So scary for the family. Praying for a speedy recovery. Hang in there young man

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -at-school
Last edited by ferri on Sep 14th, 2019, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to article added.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: 8 yr old OD at AS Matheson

Post by JayByrd »

I don't know the family personally, but my son goes to that school and has been a classmate of the kid.

The boy is back home and while he'll undergo further medical tests, he is reportedly feeling much better, so that's excellent news.

I'm really interested to know what this substance was, and how (if we'll ever know for sure) it got there.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

I am wondering if there are hallway cameras. If not maybe there ought to be. Someone brought that stuff in. Probably not an 8 year old kid either. Likely a teachers party substance. Or some really sick twisted puke put that there for someone to ingest. Either way the school needs to do a serious investigation. Fire and or charge criminally whoever is responsible. This is BS . I would be furious if that happened to my son
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

a teenager od a few yrs ago with a similar looking substance

https://www.gottarent.com/news-story/69 ... overdoses/
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

I dont understand the story. It says
"All drug and toxicology blood tests as well as natural cause tests conducted Wednesday came back negative, Mills said, calling it a "very confusing situation."
So why are they saying he OD'd?
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 14th, 2019, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use Basran thread
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

vinnied wrote:I dont understand the story. It says
"All drug and toxicology blood tests as well as natural cause tests conducted Wednesday came back negative, Mills said, calling it a "very confusing situation."
So why are they saying he OD'd?

I would imagine considering the symptoms it is assumed he ingested the substance found. Initial testing didn't come up with anything so the substance has been sent to a lab that will do further extensive examinations.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

If it’s an unknown substance, then why wasn’t it called a poisoning? if someone ingests strychnine, they are going to be poisoned, not overdosed.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Both Castanet and another local media outlet are using the term "OD" and yes, I guess until it's determined that this substance is something that's meant to be ingested in the first place, OD is not correct. Paint chips or cleaning chemicals could make someone sick too, but we wouldn't call it an overdose if that was what they ate. But "OD" is a better attention-grabber than "poisoned" so there you go.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Clickbait.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

kgcayenne wrote:If it’s an unknown substance, then why wasn’t it called a poisoning? if someone ingests strychnine, they are going to be poisoned, not overdosed.

OD has more of a catchy headline, given our social climate/outlook these days.
Last edited by OKkayak on Sep 14th, 2019, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If i'm getting this right the same thing happened in Barrie Ontario?
If it were a drug it shouldn't be to difficult to trace the source , it shouldn't be to difficult to find some common denominator.
Could it be a simple poisoning of something that obviously shouldn't be ingested that's used for a legit purpose in a trade or some maintenance?
There's 15,000 schools in Canada so the idea of the same thing happening twice isn't such a long shot.
I mean it looks like hardened Miracle Grow
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

It's possible that the substance is a designer drug, or analogue of a more common drug, which might not be identifiable without a lab test.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

OldBlindDog wrote:It's possible that the substance is a designer drug, or analogue of a more common drug, which might not be identifiable without a lab test.

My first though was dirty ecstacy. Dropped by a teacher or some other trippy hippy party scum.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't know about the drug thing. What's the point? What's the chances in different schools 1000's km apart. According to the pic , same type of bag?
Too bad this story isn't getting way more coverage , maybe someone can ID it as something if not an actual drug or part of one.

Return to “Central Okanagan”