Parking rates in Kelowna

jerry1

Parking rates in Kelowna

Post by jerry1 »

I have never been so annoyed after going downtown to have a birthday dinner and found lot #252 charged me $15 for a 2 hour park after 6 PM.
The city should be ashamed to rip people off like that. City always promotes people to go downtown but with stupid Impark rates such as this why bother. I have lived here for over 30 years but am getting ready to leave due to the city being so cash greedy that everything is going through the roof.
Contracting parking out to “for profit” company such as IMPARK is ludicrous at best. There is no reason the city cannot manage parking on their own and provide parking at reasonable rates.
I have had tourists comment on how expensive parking is here in the waterfront area.
The City is doing their best to discourage visitors to the downtown.
The parking issue ruined my evening. Thanks for that!!
Jerry
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Parking rates in Kelowna

Post by Fancy »

Pays to check ahead for parking availability in the area:
https://lots.impark.com//imp/en?latlng= ... ils=10,252

I certainly wouldn't consider moving just because of parking nor let it ruin a night.

I believe the City parkades offer free parking after 6 (I think).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Sorry that lot is owned by Impark, not the city.
https://lots.impark.com/imp?utm_source= ... ils=10,205
I usually try finding on street parking instead, which is usually free after hours.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

And the parkades in Downtown offer free parking during weekends.

Seems like the OP just needs to adjust to change, maybe walk a little and not expect there to always be a prime parking spot waiting for him in the core of downtown and for next to nothing cost.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

To be fair we don't know if the OP could walk the extra distance.
I paid for parking at Prospera Place so my mom didn't have to walk far with the 55 plus games opening ceremony.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I posted this in another thread back in early September
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... to-parking

Oh dear... its on street parking that is so offensive lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I would think that the city would pay more in overtime wages than they would make through enforcement. So why bother even charging then.
Whereas Impark pays little in wages, however charges insane parking fees, and even worse fines.
So for them it would be stupid not to charge after hour fees, and enforce them.
You will rarely see them out there for just 1 car but always targeting the weekends and events.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

jerry1 wrote:The city should be ashamed to rip people off like that. City always promotes people to go downtown but with stupid Impark rates such as this why bother.

You are blaming the City for something they have nothing to do with!

As others have said it is Impark, the City that you are blaming actually gives you free evening parking, so you should be thanking them.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

The parking and susequent charges downtown are at best confusing, particularly if you are from out of town. In a very small area there are multiple different spots where parking charges and times are different. Right now since Sept 16th it is free to park in those few spaces outside the new visitor centre on weekends yet opposite that the Impark controlled lot is 24/7, then we have the new pay machines and rates for Bernard and over the road by bus station yet we still have a few meters on street by side of Kelly o's. These meters were wrecked a while back and i assumed would be replaced by the new pay machines yet now all meters have been replaced with new ones even though the sign on same street shows the new rates for the pay machines where you put in your licence plate. No wonder some people just don't get it.
I for one will never ever park in an Impark lot. As others have said parkades are usually free evenings and weekends unless there is an event on
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

The last time I parked at Prospera Place for some reason around 1/2 of us required our license plate number while the other half had to leave the ticket on the dash.
I don't think we did anything different.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote:I posted this in another thread back in early September

No Gord .... Its that on street parking is nearly non existent.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

MAPearce wrote:

No Gord .... Its that on street parking is nearly non existent.

In that story it shows zone A and the rates BUT within that same zone are several meters, a free area (visitor centre) during off peak and an Impark area thats 24/7 with entirely different rates. How is this sensible? Regardless of how existent or non existent on street parking is
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

MAPearce wrote:No Gord .... Its that on street parking is nearly non existent.

Even after 6pm after tourist season (unless event at prospera ie hockey or concert).

Added: I have never had to park in or around downtown area, I walk down in about 20 to 25 minutes.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Or a show at the Atrs Centrer , KCT .... Any given evening around Memorial arena during ing hockey season ...

The list goes on .. Face it Gord , with the cost of parking , the free option are becoming extinct..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

MAPearce wrote:Or a show at the Atrs Centrer , KCT .... Any given evening around Memorial arena during ing hockey season ...

The list goes on .. Face it Gord , with the cost of parking , the free option are becoming extinct..

Since I have no need to park in the area and only times I go in or around downtown is:
Canada Day, Remembrance Day and the occasional hockey game now (gave up my season tickets due to how loud music is), I walk to each.
Looking forward to the Memorial Cup though.

Return to “Central Okanagan”