City reduces parking needs

Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: City reduces parking needs

Post by Scrobins94 »

Biking and walking is good for you. Americans have a problem with obesity because they live in their cars. That and we should all make small changes to protect the environment. And for those people who complain about groceries Save-on does grocery deliveries.

Walk more, bike more and your body will thank you later.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

spooker wrote:
W105 wrote:thank god Safeway is still downtown...would suck having to bike all the way to the Mission (especially in the winter) to get groceries

Safeway is not the only option for groceries near downtown ... O'Rourkes ... Independent ... One Big Table ... BC Tree Fruits ...

I'm expecting something will be going in around the Clement/Ellis area as things progress on that end ...

And with the City keeping the trails cleared of snow in the winter biking is never that tough ...

The new development called Ellis Parc is rumored to be working on attracting a grocery story as a tenant for their retail at ground level.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Okay so someone actually realized (within walls of city hall), CoK road infrastructure is no were near enough for planned high rise expansion ideas for the city.
So reduce or eliminate parking.... guess what I'm not trained city planner, I could see writing on the wall years ago.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Gilchy wrote:If you don't know what is down there, go check it out! There is great restaurants, cool shops, and things to see.

There is a variety of shopping/dining in downtown Kelowna. A list of some of the places. Mosaic Books, as an example, has been operating downtown for 50 years. The bus transit exchange is one block away.

https://www.downtownkelowna.com/what-to-do/shop/
alychern

Post by alychern »

As someone who lives in a brand new apartment building I can tell you that parking is already a nightmare. There is 1 stall per unit which is an additional monthly rental fee on top of the already expensive rent. There is a handful of visitor parking stalls which are 2 hour max parking and if you plan to have guests stay longer than that you have to request a parking pass which is on a first come, first serve basis. The building I’m in clearly tries to put emphasis on riding bikes as there are bike racks at every parking stall and additional bike storage areas. An e-mail was sent out by the building this week stating the bike storage is almost completely full. Funny thing is that every single underground parking stall is being used and many of them also have bikes hanging on the bike racks so clearly this wonderful idea that everyone will give up their cars to ride bikes is not becoming a reality. It seems now everyone just has both and is paying fee on top of fee for places to park/store everything and it’s still not enough. In my opinion they need to be adding parking, not taking it away.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Scrobins94 wrote:Biking and walking is good for you. Americans have a problem with obesity because they live in their cars. That and we should all make small changes to protect the environment. And for those people who complain about groceries Save-on does grocery deliveries.

I agree with you 100% however like Urban Cowboy points out Service vehicles have problems parking downtown. So eventually it may be tough getting Save On to deliver.
I sure hope that downtown Safeway never closes or switches over to Fresh-Co
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The switch over to FreshCo is a done deal There is no stopping it.
Delivery vehicles will be on their property, can't stop that either.

That's progress. They/we couldn't stop homeless from camping on the Leon, what makes anyone think that they can stop high rises from building on those properties?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

just popping in wrote:
Gilchy wrote:If you don't know what is down there, go check it out! There is great restaurants, cool shops, and things to see.

There is a variety of shopping/dining in downtown Kelowna. A list of some of the places. Mosaic Books, as an example, has been operating downtown for 50 years. The bus transit exchange is one block away.

https://www.downtownkelowna.com/what-to-do/shop/

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

Books?

Amazon is a close as my keyboard. :smt045

No parking spot or transit exchange required.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Scrobins94 wrote:Biking and walking is good for you. Americans have a problem with obesity because they live in their cars. That and we should all make small changes to protect the environment. And for those people who complain about groceries Save-on does grocery deliveries.

Where will the Save-On delivery vehicle park?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Thats ok Bas will have his car park
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Postby Scrobins94 » Today, 1:58 pm
Biking and walking is good for you. Americans have a problem with obesity because they live in their cars. That and we should all make small changes to protect the environment. And for those people who complain about groceries Save-on does grocery deliveries.

Walk more, bike more and your body will thank you later."
Well for one you are fat shaming. If that was the single reason ppl are over weigh then maybe we could just yank their Drivers License, impound their car. We could have the scale Police
Many people, for many reasons cannot or will not bike, walk, hitchhike etc to get what they need
Nor will the residents of the new >08 parking stall. *bleep*
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

alanjh595 wrote:The switch over to FreshCo is a done deal There is no stopping it.

Perfect, just what we need. More people working for a pathetic wage, who can't afford to live in Kelowna.
I think we'll need even more parking now, so they can live in their cars.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

And there is our "sermon" for the day...……...how would we ever make it in our daily lives without having someone taking the opportunity to tell us all how to live.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

normaM wrote:Postby Scrobins94 » Today, 1:58 pm

Walk more, bike more and your body will thank you later."
Well for one you are fat shaming. If that was the single reason ppl are over weigh then maybe we could just yank their Drivers License, impound their car. We could have the scale Police
Many people, for many reasons cannot or will not bike, walk, hitchhike etc to get what they need
Nor will the residents of the new >08 parking stall. *bleep*

Nobody is fat shaming. Stop being sensitive.

Study Says Cars Make Us Fat
https://www.wired.com/2008/12/surprise-people/amp
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It also said this:

European cities tend to be compact and densely populated with excellent transit systems. American cities, on the other hand, tend to sprawl on and on and on — ever been to Atlanta? Dallas? Phoenix? — and our mass transit infrastructure generally is not as advanced, so it can be harder to get out of the car and onto a bike.

It is important to note that several factors contribute to obesity, and the researchers do not conclusively prove that "active transportation" cuts obesity

When lots of people hike, play sports and do other activities, they are getting enough exercise. Biking isn't always an option.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”