Our urban deer problem?

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Our urban deer problem?

Post by XT225 »

Oh the urban deer situation is a huge problem. Its also mixed up with the very controversial Downtown Revitilization plan. I saw three deer running down main street recently, heading past City hall. I'm NOT kidding.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

XT225 wrote:Oh the urban deer situation is a huge problem. Its also mixed up with the very controversial Downtown Revitilization plan. I saw three deer running down main street recently, heading past City hall. I'm NOT kidding.

Ok XT - let's get this straight. While they were running down main was there one deer in each lane? Obviously there were no delivery trucks blocking lanes or that would have created another problem. Also, what speed would you say they were doing? 30k I hope. How did they handle when Main goes down to two lanes at City Hall? Did they all just take one lane?
Now - did you or did you not see Mike Pearce nearby? You know XT - I think more than anything they were probably 3 bucks just looking for a little doe :)
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:
Ok XT - let's get this straight. While they were running down main was there one deer in each lane? Obviously there were no delivery trucks blocking lanes or that would have created another problem. Also, what speed would you say they were doing? 30k I hope. How did they handle when Main goes down to two lanes at City Hall? Did they all just take one lane?
Now - did you or did you not see Mike Pearce nearby? You know XT - I think more than anything they were probably 3 bucks just looking for a little doe :)

All three were sharing the centre lane; traffic in both other lanes. Luckily, it was a Sunday afternoon and there were no delivery trucks blocking the inside lanes. Speed was eratic but it was well under the limit. No sign of Mikey either. I like your final pun there Southy. The above really did happen just a few weeks ago.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:How one city in the U.S. is solving the deer problem and I do believe this has been looked at in Penticton.

http://www.siouxfalls.org/police/deer-s ... ement.aspx

That is a plan I would be happy with. Combination of education, bylaws against feeding and other actions that lead to habituating them, AND a cull by trained personnel with meat distribution to the needy.
Just yesterday I saw a woman throwing what appeared to be slabs of fat (suet) to a group of four deer on her front lawn. Each one of them had a slab of it hanging out of the side of their mouths and were happily munching away. You know they will be back repeatedly looking for the same treat.
BTW, I had no idea that deer would eat suet.....if that is what it was......but it sure looked like it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Carnivorous deer would certainly change my opinion.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Poindexter wrote:Carnivorous deer would certainly change my opinion.

Saw her again today. I was wrong, it wasn't suet, it was bread. Just the same.....stupid thing to do. Briefly considered asking her *bleep* she thought she was doing but decided that she was unlikely to believe me when I told her she was doing the deer no favours and all that would happen would be a confrontation and a clear statement from her to MYOB.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

XT225 wrote:Oh the urban deer situation is a huge problem.... I saw three deer running down main street recently, heading past City hall. I'm NOT kidding.

LOL I believe you. Surreal.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:Oh the urban deer situation is a huge problem. Its also mixed up with the very controversial Downtown Revitilization plan. I saw three deer running down main street recently, heading past City hall. I'm NOT kidding.

XT, did you happen to notice if they looked through Mike Pearce's old office window to make sure he was really gone?

Or did they maybe just miss the Groove Yard looking for a vinyl record of the Disney soundtrack of Bambi?

southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Actually if the truth be known ... they were looking for the Buck or Two store.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Actually if the truth be known ... they were looking for the Buck or Two store.

Lol, so that would be the downtown deer brothel?

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:XT, did you happen to notice if they looked through Mike Pearce's old office window to make sure he was really gone?

Or did they maybe just miss the Groove Yard looking for a vinyl record of the Disney soundtrack of Bambi?

Unfortunately, it was a Sunday afternoon and both Mikes' office and the Grove Yard were closed. I think that this is what got the deer so upset; they were floundering all over the place. Then they headed straight down towards the Hotel on the beach; likely because the owner was a big supporter of Andrew. Thank goodness there were still THREE lanes; otherwise it would've been really congested.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Attachments
10615492_377273169098522_1154036908454925765_n.jpg
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

southy wrote:Actually if the truth be known ... they were looking for the Buck or Two store.

Lol. Good one.
I've seen deer at night on water st, manhattan drive, bernard and enterprise way, in kelowna and I'm rarely down that way at night.
As long as they leave my arborvitae alone I'm happy.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Down here in the south we call it thujah. And for those of you who don't know what thujah or arborvitae is, here you go:

The arborvitae is an evergreen tree or shrub from the cypress family. They are found primarily throughout eastern Canada and the northeastern United States. The arborvitae has scale like leaves that are soft to the touch, rather than prickly. Arborvitae prefers colder climates to warmer ones. Probably why this shrub is more prevalent in Kelowna :)

Thanks Bman.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Cue the "what does a doe do when she goes downtown on Saturday night" joke.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”