Channel Crossing Shopping Center

Tony
Übergod

Re: Channel Crossing Shopping Center

Post by Tony »

I've had the pleasure of meeting the new Chief, and he's a nice guy. He does, as everyone has pointed out, have a bit of an uphill battle to overcome his predecessor. I wish him nothing but luck - the PIB could be a very rich band if they could get out of the slump and the attitude shown by the now defunct _Hello_....
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:
twobits wrote:There was a poster here that could have shared those details but.....

Somehow I doubt that. I think our young friend was more a purveyor of unfocused teen anger than any useful information, hence his hasty departure when it became obvious that bravado alone was not going to suffice in this discussion.

Bit I do agree on your point that the saber-rattling of recent administrations has left a legacy of unpredictability surrounding the PIB, something that potential investors are not comfortable with.

You are probably correct Fluff. I was interested with the response that "both sides viewed demands as unreasonable" implying at least that they knew of both PIB and City positions. Probably a lot of smoke and bravado which unfortunately has been the historical record.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Tony wrote:I've had the pleasure of meeting the new Chief, and he's a nice guy. He does, as everyone has pointed out, have a bit of an uphill battle to overcome his predecessor. I wish him nothing but luck - the PIB could be a very rich band if they could get out of the slump and the attitude shown by the now defunct _Hello_....

I agree…the former Chief is an embarrassment and a determinant to pretty much anything he touches. Chief’s like Robert Louie or Clarence Louie could wipe the floor with that pre-historic dinosaur any day of the week. I do not know much about the new chief down there but I think anything would be an improvement over the disgrace that came before him.
Back with a vengeance
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Al Czervic wrote:
Tony wrote:I've had the pleasure of meeting the new Chief, and he's a nice guy. He does, as everyone has pointed out, have a bit of an uphill battle to overcome his predecessor. I wish him nothing but luck - the PIB could be a very rich band if they could get out of the slump and the attitude shown by the now defunct _Hello_....

I agree…the former Chief is an embarrassment and a determinant to pretty much anything he touches. Chief’s like Robert Louie or Clarence Louie could wipe the floor with that pre-historic dinosaur any day of the week. I do not know much about the new chief down there but I think anything would be an improvement over the disgrace that came before him.

Bang on Al. People refer to the 90's as the lost decade. Stewart Philip is responsible for the loss of two decades for the PIB. What slays me is that he is still elected to positions of importance to First Nations despite his track record. Seems to me to almost be a patronage appointment based on strong cultural beliefs of respect for elders. An admirable trait to be sure, but economic suicide in this case.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

twobits wrote:Bang on Al. People refer to the 90's as the lost decade. Stewart Philip is responsible for the loss of two decades for the PIB. What slays me is that he is still elected to positions of importance to First Nations despite his track record. Seems to me to almost be a patronage appointment based on strong cultural beliefs of respect for elders. An admirable trait to be sure, but economic suicide in this case.

An excellent assessment and I suspect bang on.
Back with a vengeance
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

There is a leasing inquiries sign (billboard) accross the channel at the end of Green Ave. Is that relatively new or have I just not noticed it before?

southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Twobits ... I believe the sign you refer to was put up back in September of last year. Could be wrong, but believe it was around then.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Thanks, I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. I presume the Landmark Cinema's sign of opening in 2012 was also there previously.

Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

The Landmark sign has actually been changed. It used to say "Opening in 2011" - it's been changed now to 2012. I was just in Vegas and they have the best shopping malls I've ever seen. We went to two of them, and they are like little towns - they are very cool and would create a destination shopping centre which is what I believe they need here. The developers should take a look at the one's I saw - it would draw people from all over.
ogopogo90

Post by ogopogo90 »

There are rumors going on of possibly a new Costco coming to Penticton!!

http://www.castanet.net/news/John-Thoms ... and-things
TashaSW

Post by TashaSW »

I'm wondering now if the whole thing about Channel Crossing Shopping Center is a rumor or not.... nothing seems to be happening!!!! lol

That would be nice if Costco came to Penticton :) I want Ikea still. lol
ogopogo90

Post by ogopogo90 »

Any updates??
TashaSW

Post by TashaSW »

ogopogo90 wrote:Any updates??

I'm starting to wonder if they should go ahead with that cause there's just to many EMPTY businesses around here. Like the vacant stores near M & M meats, by London Drugs and some in the mall as well. The old Timmies/Sub place and now the steakhouse that was next to the old Timmies. Plus there's still empty stores at square where Walmart is.
Do we really need new shopping center that'll have even more empty buildings??? Why can't we fill whats already here first?? Empty buildings kinda look bad.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You're right, the last few years has been tough on business in Penticton, but I could see the new centre making a go of it with the right anchors. A new theatre would be a big draw, you'd be surprised how many people would rather drive to Westbank rather than go to the Pen-Mar. Maybe a nice sit-down chain resaurant to grab dinner before catching a movie? I hearrd rumblings a while back that Montana's was eyeballing the area. There was some talk of a FutureShop there too, a big-box home electronics outlet has yet to be tried in Penticton. I wonder what these latest developments on the economic front are going to do for the investment community, I can see a lot of players adopting a wait-and-see stance.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Home Depot was to be one of the big names. The local manager of a competator told me the plan has been put off for five years given the current market and talk that their Westbank store is losing wheelbarrow loads of money. The local Rona doesn't appear to be doing any screaming business either. Personally I'll stick with Home Hardware cause if I have any warrantee issues I have more confindence they'll still be there. The competition is great for pricing but this market only has room for so many players and I think we're serviced well enough with Rona and HH. Toss in good old OK Builders too for masonary and drywall and we're covered.

Edit-Oooops, forgot Windsor Plywood. Great store for finishing materials and exotic woods. Do we really need a Home Depot?
Last edited by twobits on Aug 11th, 2011, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”