Sendero Canyon Development

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Sendero Canyon Development

Post by Anonymous123 »

logman wrote:TT had to re-do a water line along Carmi road for the last month or more. Does that say anything about the rest of the quality?

Did they put it in the first time?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

logman wrote:TT had to re-do a water line along Carmi road for the last month or more. Does that say anything about the rest of the quality?

And your experience in engineering and land development is what?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Does anyone know what the nature of the pipeline deficiency was? Did it actually fail or was there just concern about a potential for failure? I'm no engineer but I do know there's a lot more to moving large amounts of water through pipe than just gluing the ends together and throwing a little dirt over it.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Yes they put it in the first time. A month to re-do is an expensive screw up.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Last I heard the contractor blames the pipe supplier/manufacturer for defective pipe and the manufacturer/supplier claims faulty installation. I was told the independent engineering report could not conclusively determine who is right or wrong. This is all hearsay of course, but thought I would pass it along.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

logman wrote:Yes they put it in the first time. A month to re-do is an expensive screw up.

I'll have to agree. If the product was faulty there would be other precedent setting instances of this happening.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

CTF wrote:Last I heard the contractor blames the pipe supplier/manufacturer for defective pipe and the manufacturer/supplier claims faulty installation.

Did you hear how they discovered that something was wrong in the first place?

*Edited for format correction
Last edited by fluffy on May 2nd, 2013, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

CTF wrote:Last I heard the contractor blames the pipe supplier/manufacturer for defective pipe and the manufacturer/supplier claims faulty installation. I was told the independent engineering report could not conclusively determine who is right or wrong. This is all hearsay of course, but thought I would pass it along.

That is essentially what I have been able to understand as well. As a result, the insurance companies covering the pipe manufacturer, the contracter that installed the water pipe, and the project engineer came to an agreement to split the 800k bill to replace the pipe three ways. Stuff like this is not common but it does happen once and a while. To infer from this that the overall project is somehow lacking in quality is nothing but an unsubstanciated cheap shot. I wonderif a person were not "Anonymous", if they would be making the same libelous statement?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote: Did you hear how they discovered that something was wrong in the first place?

Fluff, a length of pipe did actually fail under pressure. I had the opportunity to actually see the failed piece. It was split the entire length with an approx 2 inch by 3 ft shard blown out mid length. Despite all the wonderfull tech we now have right down to cross sectional xrays, by at least two testing labs, a specific failure cause apparently could not be determined.

Static
Guru

Post by Static »

How are the developers not sweating it with tho project. It appears to be turning out to be a headache. They must be nervous about the timing of the project as well. I don't think there is demand for the extra housing yet.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Static wrote:How are the developers not sweating it with tho project. It appears to be turning out to be a headache. They must be nervous about the timing of the project as well. I don't think there is demand for the extra housing yet.

The delay certainly didn't help but there is no inventory of affordable lots such as these in Penticton currently. Time will of course tell how quickly they are sold.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

CTF wrote:Last I heard the contractor blames the pipe supplier/manufacturer for defective pipe and the manufacturer/supplier claims faulty installation. I was told the independent engineering report could not conclusively determine who is right or wrong. This is all hearsay of course, but thought I would pass it along.

twobits wrote:That is essentially what I have been able to understand as well. As a result, the insurance companies covering the pipe manufacturer, the contracter that installed the water pipe, and the project engineer came to an agreement to split the 800k bill to replace the pipe three ways. Stuff like this is not common but it does happen once and a while. To infer from this that the overall project is somehow lacking in quality is nothing but an unsubstanciated cheap shot. I wonderif a person were not "Anonymous", if they would be making the same libelous statement?

If you are referring to me, I have never said that the project is lacking in quality. I do however question the installation.

twobits wrote:Fluff, a length of pipe did actually fail under pressure. I had the opportunity to actually see the failed piece. It was split the entire length with an approx 2 inch by 3 ft shard blown out mid length. Despite all the wonderfull tech we now have right down to cross sectional xrays, by at least two testing labs, a specific failure cause apparently could not be determined.

I have seen pipe blow up when being pressure tested due to incorrect pressure testing.This particular split could have been caused by the handling of the pipe. That length may have been dropped anywhere along the way to the ditch. It may even have been dropped into the ditch. One may never know, but if one length was faulty there should have been more. This apparently was the only length. I heard that the re-installation was due to the pipe seating itself too deep into each of the bell ends. If this is true then they should have used terrabrute pipe.
Last edited by Anonymous123 on May 2nd, 2013, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There has been mention of going to pre-manufactured fittings for directional changes rather than on-site "sweeping" of corners. Has the failed pipe been bent onsite?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

-fluffy- wrote:There has been mention of going to pre-manufactured fittings for directional changes rather than on-site "sweeping" of corners. Has the failed pipe been bent onsite?

No one bends pipe on site. There are pre-manufactured bends that are used. They come in 5, 11-1/4, 22-1/2, 45, and 90 degree bends. Other bends can be ordered as needed if none of the standard bends work. There is also a standard 3 degree deflection allowable in pipe to pipe connections.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Anonymous123 wrote:No one bends pipe on site. There are pre-manufactured bends that are used. They come in 5, 11-1/4, 22-1/2, 45, and 90 degree bends. Other bends can be ordered as needed if none of the standard bends work. There is also a standard 3 degree deflection allowable in pipe to pipe connections.

Some types of pipe are bent on site, steel and large diameter polyethelene come to mind, but anonymous is correct that this type of water pipe is not "bent" on site. There is however a distinction between "sweeping" a gentle radius with straight sticks of pipe and making a directional change with a premanufactured offset coupling. That is apparently one of the fallouts of this failure......that sweeping (3 deg deflection in the straight pipe connection) is no longer allowed and offset couplings must be used. To use an analogy for those unfamiliar, if one were driving a car that only went in a straight line on a long curving road, where your car was about to leave the road because of the curve and you had to get out and push the front end over to get the car pointed back down the road is the point you would be installing an offset coupling.

Return to “Central Okanagan”