Thursday, April 24th5.3°C
19345
20654

Channel Crossing Financiers

South Okanagan topics including Summerland, Naramata, Penticton, Okanagan Falls, Oliver, Osoyoos, and Keremeos.

Moderators: Jo, ferri, Merry, Triple 6

Re: Channel Crossing Financiers

Postby Nebula » Oct 12th, 2012, 5:54 pm

I guess you're not done with thread.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16288
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 119 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am
Location: Puzzle Palace

Re: Channel Crossing Financiers

Postby LightShine » Oct 12th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Nebula wrote:I guess you're not done with thread.

little one,I couldnt resist but punctuate w/Huawei and NEXEN still on CSIS minds
LightShine
 
Posts: 61
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jun 17th, 2011, 8:52 am

Re: Channel Crossing Financiers

Postby fluffy » Oct 13th, 2012, 6:44 am

Does Canadian law permit blocking such a transaction as the sale of NEXEN to an offshore interest? I'm wondering if we're treading on thin ice here with regards as to how we are perceived internationally and how that would affect our foreign trade and investment communities. China is a juggernaut with appetites for raw materials that are truly global in nature, and the cash resources to sate those appetites. I can see that the fear of putting management of Canadian resources in their hands is not without basis, we risk setting a precedent with this sale that could turn on us very easily, but aren't we in tricky territory when we start picking and choosing which deals fly and which don't based on fear of the purchasers policies in their own country? We have basically thrown the doors to Canada open to foreign investment already, trying to take a protectionist stance at this point without appearing exclusionary could be a real foreign policy challenge.
quick - report this post to a mod
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15205
Likes: 9 posts
Liked in: 591 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Channel Crossing Financiers

Postby LightShine » Oct 13th, 2012, 1:32 pm

-fluffy- wrote:Does Canadian law permit blocking such a transaction as the sale of NEXEN to an offshore interest? I'm wondering if we're treading on thin ice here with regards as to how we are perceived internationally and how that would affect our foreign trade and investment communities. China is a juggernaut with appetites for raw materials that are truly global in nature, and the cash resources to sate those appetites. I can see that the fear of putting management of Canadian resources in their hands is not without basis, we risk setting a precedent with this sale that could turn on us very easily, but aren't we in tricky territory when we start picking and choosing which deals fly and which don't based on fear of the purchasers policies in their own country? We have basically thrown the doors to Canada open to foreign investment already, trying to take a protectionist stance at this point without appearing exclusionary could be a real foreign policy challenge.


There are no such persons as free enterpriser's in China unlike anywhere else in the world...all is state controlled. Ev en business-people who go there selling their wares are up against a totalitarian Communist system of controls. Those that leave to do business outside of China are still tethered to the "Motherland"..its a pernicious system that never sleeps. You actually think there is a benefit to Canada don't you. You are wrong. You would be well served to understand the Asian mind in business, specially the Chinese. Actually there are more people leaving China after said frustrations than there are now peeps entering to do business.
China is always looking for control of the host country and Canada is the most desirable. Using trade as an investment is but a ruse. BTW, Canada's image internationally will be best served if China was dropped and pursue more friendly peoples. After all they are our enemy right, therefore never to be trusted..
LightShine
 
Posts: 61
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jun 17th, 2011, 8:52 am

Re: Channel Crossing Financiers

Postby fluffy » Oct 13th, 2012, 1:58 pm

LightShine wrote:After all they are our enemy right, therefore never to be trusted..


A number of times I've been at the point where I'm almost taking you seriously then you let some gem like this fall out of your face. I do think there's need for caution in foreign policy decisions but I have trouble with obviously prejudicial views like yours.
quick - report this post to a mod
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15205
Likes: 9 posts
Liked in: 591 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Channel Crossing Financiers

Postby Nebula » Oct 13th, 2012, 2:00 pm

LightShine wrote:After all they are our enemy right, therefore never to be trusted..

Do get a grip comes to mind.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16288
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 119 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am
Location: Puzzle Palace

Re: Channel Crossing Financiers

Postby LightShine » Oct 13th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Nebula wrote:
LightShine wrote:After all they are our enemy right, therefore never to be trusted..

Do get a grip comes to mind.


stupid, mine
LightShine
 
Posts: 61
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jun 17th, 2011, 8:52 am

Previous

Return to Penticton / South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests