Day trips or things to do around Penticton

sarah_fj

Day trips or things to do around Penticton

Post by sarah_fj »

I saw a thread under Kelowna for day trips and things to do around Kelowna so I thought I would start one for Penticton. There's probably alot of overlap but perhaps Pentictonites can come up with something new :)

I know I really enjoy going to Farmer John's petting zoo in the spring with my hubby and step-son to see all the baby animals. Located in Keremeos on upper bench road. General admission is only $6.50. They animals are well looked after and the farm is clean. Last time we went there was a baby goat that a mother had rejected due to it's coloring. My step son was able to feed it from a bottle, very cute! You can also take a tour around the farm on golf carts pulling a cart behind you. Very fun day for the kids and adults.We will try to Thanksgiving if there open im sure it would be beautiful at that time of year. Not sure how to post a link but the website is: http://www.farmerjohnspettingzoo.com

Also going to go to the rock creek fair this September 17th and 18th. Supposed to be like the IPE in Armstrong only on a smaller scale. This will be our first year going so i'll let you know how it goes.

What are some of your favorite things to do and see in the area?
There is no better time than right now to be happy. Happiness is a journey, not a destination…

[size=85] So work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching.[/size]
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Day Trips or things to do around Penticton

Post by fluffy »

With harvest seasonh almost upon us I love doing the circuit from Penticton to Keremeos, across the Richter Pass and back up from Osoyoos, just to hit the fruit stands. Every kind of squash imaginable in Keremeos, the orgasmic farmers in Cawston, and all sorts of everything on the drive between Osoyoos and Oliver. If your timing is right you can do Indian dinner in Oliver and hit Tickleberry's for dessert in OK Falls.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Day Trips or things to do around Penticton

Post by fluffy »

If you're making the trip between here and the border and you're not in a hurry you can get off the beaten track on either the east or west sides of the valley and see some new terrain. You can get off the highway near Kaleden at the turn-off to St. Andrews/White Lake Observatory and don't have to come back on the main road until the other side of Oliver. Likewise if you get off to the east side near the Vincor Winery north of Oliver and you can get almost to Osoyoos before having to rejoin the highway. I've always hoped that some day you could drive right through on the east side down to the Nk'mip resort and winery but I don't think that's been opened yet. There is a road but last time I was through there is was gated.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tony
Übergod

Re: Day trips or things to do around Penticton

Post by Tony »

Rock Creek fair is awesome - way homier (is that a word?) than IPE.
rush

Post by rush »

The radio telescope just outside of Penticton has tours in September.I have always wanted to go but haven't gotten around to it yet.Has anyone toured this site?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I worked there for a bit when they were building the new building a few years back. It's an amazing spot if you're in to that sort of science. They say that the big dish is so sensitive that you could could make a regular cel phone call from Mars and they could pick it up.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

My idea of a day trip involves a bit more driving.
Grand Coulee Dam is something like 70 miles east of Omak and I consider it a must see. Quite the impressive structure even though I am not keen on the damage the dams have done to the Columbia River fishery.
Winthrop is a western themed town west of Okanogan. It is located on the "North Cascades hiway" which is an incredibly scenic route that can be combined with the Hope-Princeton as a circle route if desired.
If you want to stay in Canada a drive to Osoyoos -Rock Creek then up 33 to Kelowna is an interesting afternoon drive. Its a good drive for a driver with an "L".
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Didn't we use to call that the "Sunday drive"? The price of fuel is eroding the pleasure now unfortunately.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's all relative. I can remember feeling just stinking rich at $4.25/hour. Still nothing like a little road trip to recharge the batteries. I love those mountains of squash at the fruit stands in Keremeos.

(I drove past a gas station last week that with a sign out saying $!.26/liter and caught myself thinking "Hmmm, cheap")
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:It's all relative. I can remember feeling just stinking rich at $4.25/hour. Still nothing like a little road trip to recharge the batteries. I love those mountains of squash at the fruit stands in Keremeos.

(I drove past a gas station last week that with a sign out saying $!.26/liter and caught myself thinking "Hmmm, cheap")

A buck 26 is cheap??? I want to come over to your house and raid your fridge cause I'm thinkin there must be some damn good cheap cuts in there!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Fill up across the line and save .30/litre then bring back 6 beer/adult and its all good.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Bump this one too
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

sarah_fj wrote:I saw a thread under Kelowna for day trips and things to do around Kelowna so I thought I would start one for Penticton. There's probably alot of overlap but perhaps Pentictonites can come up with something new :)

I know I really enjoy going to Farmer John's petting zoo in the spring with my hubby and step-son to see all the baby animals. Located in Keremeos on upper bench road. General admission is only $6.50. They animals are well looked after and the farm is clean. Last time we went there was a baby goat that a mother had rejected due to it's coloring. My step son was able to feed it from a bottle, very cute! You can also take a tour around the farm on golf carts pulling a cart behind you. Very fun day for the kids and adults.We will try to Thanksgiving if there open im sure it would be beautiful at that time of year. Not sure how to post a link but the website is: http://www.farmerjohnspettingzoo.com

Also going to go to the rock creek fair this September 17th and 18th. Supposed to be like the IPE in Armstrong only on a smaller scale. This will be our first year going so i'll let you know how it goes.

What are some of your favorite things to do and see in the area?

Farmer John's website link doesn't work. After Googling it and finding a Facebook page, I also find that it has been closed for a year.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Farmer-Johns-Petting-Zoo/216129855088672
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “Central Okanagan”