WestJet

pentona
Übergod

Re: WestJet

Post by pentona »

Hey, great info, Nepal. I "believe" that the direct flights from YLW to Fort Mac might be on the Q400's. I would personally much rather fly the short hop to Van (yes, that's a Dash 8) and then get on a CRJ jet; much much nicer than any Q400 in my opinion. I use YYF as much as possible.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Just for comparison - Encore's direct flight from YLW - YMM is only 1h 53m plus an hours drive to YLW is still an hour shorter - plus the appeal of a direct flight - I'm thinking this will be taking a few seats from AC out of YYF. It'll be interesting to see the numbers over the first few months.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You're right, four hours not five like I said. I forgot to factor in the time change.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

pentona wrote:Hey, great info, Nepal. I "believe" that the direct flights from YLW to Fort Mac might be on the Q400's. I would personally much rather fly the short hop to Van (yes, that's a Dash 8) and then get on a CRJ jet; much much nicer than any Q400 in my opinion. I use YYF as much as possible.

Attachments
Sliding through the sky on a CRJ, after a short Dash from Penticton.
Sliding through the sky on a CRJ, after a short Dash from Penticton.
3:58 total time, Penticton to Fort McMurray. Only 10 min drive to  Penticton Airport YYF
3:58 total time, Penticton to Fort McMurray. Only 10 min drive to Penticton Airport YYF
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Very short drive from south Okanagan to Penticton Airport (10 min from downtown Penticton). Cheap and close to terminal parking at YYF. Friendly - small terminal check-in at YYF.
A short hop to Vancouver, have breakfast, then a quick jet hop direct to Fort McMurray.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

nepal wrote:Very short drive from south Okanagan to Penticton Airport (10 min from downtown Penticton). Cheap and close to terminal parking at YYF. Friendly - small terminal check-in at YYF.
A short hop to Vancouver, have breakfast, then a quick jet hop direct to Fort McMurray.

Took a look at this idea:
Using June 2, 2014 return on June 16

AC from Penticton to Vancouver return $338
Westjet Vancouver to Fort Mac return $554.66

Total cost of $892.66

Kelowna to Fort Mac return $507.41 (non-stop) 2Hrs each way

Difference of $385.25

If I lived in south Okanagan I would take the cheaper + quicker flight from Kelowna.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tommythecat
Fledgling

Post by tommythecat »

Here's another comparison:

It really depends what works best for you. Is maximizing your time the most important? Saving Money? Lot's of factors go into making a decision. If you're driving from Pen or even further south then you have to think about the time to drive, gas and parking fees at the kelowna airport.
Attachments
canada.jpg
west.jpg
Positive energy activates constant elevation
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Booking domestic airflights is a bit of a crap shoot these days, a difference of a day or two can change available fares hundreds of dollars. Seat sales come and go with no rhyme or reason discernible to the lay person. With regards to Ft. McMurray flights for Penticton residents the general rule of thumb is that you can fly cheaper with WestJet out of Kelowna than you can with AC out of Penticton but even that isn't a hard and fast rule. I pulled up a return fare Penticton/McMurray on AC a couple of weeks ago for $424 which rivals even the best prices WestJet can offer out of Kelowna and without the hassles of getting to and from the Kelowna airport and all the inherent parking and or getting a ride issues. The thing is that for workers commuting to and from Ft. McMurray days off are usually at a premium and the ability to pick and choose flights generally falls within a tight timeframe. It can be a tough decision to weigh a couple or three hundred bucks against losing a day of your week off to travel.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

fluffy wrote:Booking domestic airflights is a bit of a crap shoot these days, a difference of a day or two can change available fares hundreds of dollars. Seat sales come and go with no rhyme or reason discernible to the lay person. With regards to Ft. McMurray flights for Penticton residents the general rule of thumb is that you can fly cheaper with WestJet out of Kelowna than you can with AC out of Penticton but even that isn't a hard and fast rule. I pulled up a return fare Penticton/McMurray on AC a couple of weeks ago for $424 which rivals even the best prices WestJet can offer out of Kelowna and without the hassles of getting to and from the Kelowna airport and all the inherent parking and or getting a ride issues. The thing is that for workers commuting to and from Ft. McMurray days off are usually at a premium and the ability to pick and choose flights generally falls within a tight timeframe. It can be a tough decision to weigh a couple or three hundred bucks against losing a day of your week off to travel.

The dates I picked are based on a buddy's jobs fly in & out days. He looks for the quickest (least amount of stops) & cheapest, without loosing days off waiting.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:The dates I picked are based on a buddy's jobs fly in & out days. He looks for the quickest (least amount of stops) & cheapest, without loosing days off waiting.

That's what I was saying, trying to choose a flight without losing days can sometimes be an expensive proposition. Occasionally you get lucky, sometimes you don't. If I can get a return flight that comes close to using my time off efficiently for around $500 then I feel I've done well, but more often than not it lands in the $600 to $700 range.

Return to “Central Okanagan”