WestJet

DblDwn11
Fledgling

WestJet

Post by DblDwn11 »

Lots of buzz going around getting WestJet's attention as they start to pick potential destinations for their new regional airline.

With all the negativity that has been surrounding Penticton of late, this could be a piece of good news.

Here's a link to a petition that has started: http://www.change.org/petitions/bring-westjet-to-penticton?share_id=dkznFMkzdh

There is also a Facebook group.
Alex1967
Fledgling

Re: WestJet

Post by Alex1967 »

If WS chooses to make YYF a destination, it will most likely be flights to and from YYC as opposed to YVR. YYC is their main hub and YYF is not served to and from YYC.
Good news for YYF as it will open up many possibilities and caters to domestic or intercontinential travellers who prefer WS over AC.
It would also mean that they are competing less directly with AC, good for both airlines.
Personally I will keep using AC as they treat me very well. YVR is a destination and important hub for me for international travel.
Once WS offers a front cabin, international routes and airline lounges I will consider using them.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I wouldn't get to excited about WJ coming into Penticton. I really don't believe it will happen for the simple reason Kelowna is one of their hubs in BC. A 50 minute drive from Penticton to Kelowna is no different than driving from the south end of Calgary to their airport. Won't happen. It would take to much away from their Kelowna flights.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

I think Penticton has a shot at it. After all, it would service the entire South Okanagan.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I dont think it will happen either.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Well, one thing for sure, you can't make it happen if you don't even try. It would be an incredible boost to the South Okanagan and worth taking the time to sign the on-line petition.
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

glassmaster wrote:Well, one thing for sure, you can't make it happen if you don't even try. It would be an incredible boost to the South Okanagan and worth taking the time to sign the on-line petition.

Well said.

Couldn't agree more.

To quote Michael Jordan: "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

southy wrote:I wouldn't get to excited about WJ coming into Penticton. I really don't believe it will happen for the simple reason Kelowna is one of their hubs in BC. A 50 minute drive from Penticton to Kelowna is no different than driving from the south end of Calgary to their airport. Won't happen. It would take to much away from their Kelowna flights.

Don't see any reason they wouldn't look at Penticton. They fly out of the airport in Hamilton, Ontario and that's 40-45 miles from their main terminal at Pearson International Airport in Toronto.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

oneh2obabe wrote:
southy wrote:I wouldn't get to excited about WJ coming into Penticton. I really don't believe it will happen for the simple reason Kelowna is one of their hubs in BC. A 50 minute drive from Penticton to Kelowna is no different than driving from the south end of Calgary to their airport. Won't happen. It would take to much away from their Kelowna flights.

Don't see any reason they wouldn't look at Penticton. They fly out of the airport in Hamilton, Ontario and that's 40-45 miles from their main terminal at Pearson International Airport in Toronto.

There is also close to half million people within 40 minute drive. The South Okanagan market is too small, and Kelowna too close.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^True but it also depends on what flights WestJet would offer if they did open a terminal. Doubt it would be cross-country without any stops but they could offer flights to the coast, Edmonton, etc.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

YLW is a spoke as opposed to a hub.

WS Regional flights out of YYF to YYC would open a market that is not there as well as take some AC traffic that connects domestically in YVR.

As someone else said, we should try at the very least.

More flight options can help us all.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Even the addition of some short haul flights to Calgary, Edmonton etc. would be a huge boost to the South Okanagan. Doesn't hurt to sign the petition if there is even a slight chance that WestJet would come to Penticton. Even if you don't personally believe that it will happen (but would be happy if it did) ... sign the petition. You just might be the signature that makes the difference.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

To drive from Penticton to the Kelowna Airport that fast, you must be flying anyhow. It takes 1:20min to drive from the middle of Penticton to the Kelowna Airport (Google Maps says 1:23), plus 10min+ to walk from the big parking lot into the terminal, plus and added 30 min for check there. = 2:00hrs+ to the check-in line. Plus more gas and much higher parking costs.

It takes 15 min to drive from the middle of Penticton to the Penticton Airport, plus 5 min walk from the parking lot into the terminal = 20 min and no terminal fee cost.
It takes less than 45 min to fly from Penticton to Vancouver, so in less time than it takes to get to the check-in line in Kelowna, you can fly from Penticton and be on a connecting flight from Vancouver.

Also, if flying beyond Vancouver, AC will often include the Penticton-Vancouver segment at minimal cost, even for their vacation packages.

Penticton AC staff are very helpful and friendly. If AC could add a Vancouver-Penticton-Alberta flight, that would be enough.
:runforlife:
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

That would be another petition. Although, who knows, maybe the grassroots movement to get WestJet to Penticton ... will get the attention of Air Canada. A little competition can be a good thing. I would just encourage people to sign the petition and/or join the Facebook page that is gaining strength and signatures every couple of minutes. It would be so positive for Osoyoos, Oliver, Penticton and Summerland if the Penticton airport had flights to more destinations.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

WestJet will be looking closely at traffic numbers, what do you think they'll find? We've watched the size of aircraft servicing Penticton shrink steadily for decades, from PWA's 737's, to the Dash 7s and 8s, and now the little puddle jumpers Air Canada is using. There's just not a lot of money flying in and out of here.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Central Okanagan”