GIANT-FM gone forever!

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: GIANT-FM gone forever!

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

-fluffy- wrote:I'm not a senior and CBC is my first choice for radio listening.

More power to you, and it still doesn't change my experiences one iota or that those experiences strongly suggest to me that CBC is primarily catering to an older demographic. For that matter we may even have different definitions as to what constitutes a senior. I'm not one either if you're using 65yrs old as your qualifying standard, but I'm willing to bet that someone in their twenties would disagree with me and view me as a senior.

I suppose for the nit pickers on the board I could have chosen my words a little more precisely, but it's been my experience that when trying to get a point across many of us tend to exaggerate to get said point across. I doubt I'm the first to engage in such a practice.

So yeah I'm sure my 99% remark made in an earlier post is no doubt off, but then again statements like southy's that the CBC is pulling in a younger audience can be extremely misleading too.

For example if their audience base were at one point in time mainly those 60-70yrs of age, then saying that their audience has moved toward a younger audience simply because that data changed to 59-69yrs old would in fact be true but misleading if someone were to use the data to imply that 20-30yr olds were suddenly switching to CBC.

Even when listener base is measured as far as I'm concerned the method by which it's done is far from accurate as they only deal with a small number of the total listener base and then base their results on answers the people in the surveys gave which may or may not be reliable depending on how good their memory was as to when they listen to what station.

I know I'd be a horrible source for such data as I tune in to Country 100.7 and prefer it, view myself as part of their audience if you will, yet when on the road and the signal fizzes out I click on one of the other presets I have with no particular preference other than that I recieve the signal. Sometimes it's Sun FM and others it might be The Juice so I guess they can all claim me as part of their audience.

I frankly don't pay any attention to what time it is when I'm listening to any particular station nor am I ever likely to so any response I'd give would be a guess at best. It's even possible that to shorten the survey process I'd simply say I listen to 100.7 and be done with it.

There's many just like me that work up and down the valley and might well be station jumpers too, but like me, they probably still have a specific genre that they view themselves a devoted listener of.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think my meaning was that you're using a sample restricted to seniors to make assumptions about the entire listening audience, and that's not going to give you accurate results.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ole smelly
Fledgling

Post by ole smelly »

I would rather be in a confined space with that infamous fart blower ( sportscaster 0 Neil Macrae than listen to that country CRAP.
That muzik is Offensive and Disgusting
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

ole smelly wrote:I would rather be in a confined space with that infamous fart blower ( sportscaster 0 Neil Macrae than listen to that country CRAP.
That muzik is Offensive and Disgusting

I've got a hankerin that Rap is your thang.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
BC Dave

Post by BC Dave »

Oh, what I would give to turn on FM radio in Penticton and hear Supertramp, Yes, Steely Dan and the Rolling Stones. I can't stand to listen to hip hop or country so I find myself tuning into low-fi AM-800. I wish I could pick up one of the Kelowna rock stations like Power 104.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Yes! BCDave has got it! I was listening to CFOX last night and was wishing we had a station like that here. Will probably never happen. :(
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I wonder why we don't get a CBC-2 feed in Penticton? Kelowna has it, there's even a repeater in Keremeos but not Penticton. It's pretty much all classical up until early afternoon but it's a great mix after that. Nice to hear some stuff that isn't top forty, something new. At home it's Radio Paradise on the internet, same thing...nice mix of old and new, mainstream and obscure.

http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php?#
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Ironhorse1
Fledgling

Post by Ironhorse1 »

I think the new station is wayyyy better. I'd turn on the radio at 7pm and want to listen to country and instead I get fed gospel crap. No more of that!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Lonewolf ... thought you might find these new ratings out of Vancouver interesting. CBC #1 .. go figure.

PPM TOP-LINE RADIO STATISTICS -
Vancouver CTRL
Survey period: February 27 - May 27 2012
Demographic: A2+
Daypart: Monday to Sunday 2am-2am

Share Cume Daily Cume Trend
Station % (000) (000)
CBU (Radio One) 10.9 644.2 194.1
CHQMFM (A/C) 10.7 2,201.9 386.1
CKNW (NewsTalk 980) 9.4 726.1 194.2
CFBTFM (The Beat) 8.7 1,948.7 385.1
CKZZFM (Virgin) 7.5 1,896.7 326.4
CKWX (News 1130) 6.5 947.2 237.4
CJJRFM (JR Country) 5.7 1,220.4 153.5
CKLGFM (Jack FM) 5.4 1,793.6 230.1
CKST (Team 1040) 4.4 1,137.2 169.2
CFOXFM (The Fox) 4.4 1,149.7 137.2
CFMIFM (Rock 101) 4.2 1,443.4 160.4
CBU FM (Radio Two) 4.0 706.9 109.5
CKPKFM (The Peak) 3.3 1,332.5 115.1
CFUNFM (Fun FM) 2.6 1,446.6 162.7
CISL (All Time Favorites) 2.4 645.9 71.5
CHHRFM (Shore FM) 1.6 1,038.4 61.7
CHMJ (All Traffic 730 AM) 0.8 816.0 62.9
CFTE (Team 1410) 0.4 356.4 23.0
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That doesn't surprise me much, CBC has a fairly unique product among Canadian radio stations and a place with as many stations as the Greater Vancouver area would effectively "split the vote" among the music oriented stations. It does surprise me though, that a couple of other news/talk stations rated so high. That would indicate that for Vancouver at least, there is a significant portion of the listening audience that is after more information content than entertainment.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Happened to be at a major construction site today .... 100.7 was rockin' the place. Despite the 'protests' over changing the station announcers ... I think that the changes are really positive. I am still switching back and forth a bit between CBC and the New Country Station ... and enjoy both for different reasons. Those that are trying to boycott 100.7 because of the changes ... are missing the boat.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Don 't care about the suspect stats southy.

More and more sites I come to are tuned to 100.7 so I tend to agree with glassmaster.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Lonewolf I wasn't talking about GIANT-FM/Country 100.7. I simply showed you these actual rating #'s in reference to your view that CBC is only listened to by seniors. Actually if you check Calgary you'll find the same scenerio ... CBC #1.

As far as your "construction site" survery .. though far from accurate in the big scheme of things, Country 100.7 will attract a more younger - red neck audience due to their format and announcer change. And I mean red-neck in the nicest possible way. No pun intended. Let's see where Country 100.7 is in about 6 to 12 months. If I was a betting man and I am I would say you are going to see a new format and I guarantee you it will not be anywhere close to country.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

What can I say ... except ... I think you are wrong. 100.7 is headed in the right direction ... and, I believe, will grow in popularity. New country is not listened to by 'rednecks' .... lol! What a ridiculous statement that is. Are you suggesting that the young guys working on major construction sites are rednecks. Hardly. I would say that you need to take your head out of your butt ......... but that might make me sound like a redneck. :-)
okanagan_gal

Post by okanagan_gal »

if you are missing Dennis Walker, you can hear him again. Hope the new venture works for him.

http://socountry.ca/

Return to “Central Okanagan”