New movie theatre

Doug McAulay

New movie theatre

Post by Doug McAulay »

Does anyone know how the new movie theatre is progressing and when it will be open for use
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: new movie theatre

Post by fluffy »

An article in the Western about a month back said September.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ginnjuice

Re: New movie theatre

Post by ginnjuice »

Spoke to one of the construction guys at the site, he said it should be open mid september.
ogopogo90

Post by ogopogo90 »

Anyone know which restaurants are coming on the site?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

No, but I think we're in for a reality check as to the current cost of movie going. The snack bar at the PenMar saw a serious price jump in the last few months, a sign of things to come I'm thinking. Down at the coast it's par for the course that by the time you get to your seat with a drink and a popcorn you're twenty-five or thirty bucks lighter than you were before you came in, I think we're going to see that here when the new lace opens. People like to whine about how tired and run down the PenMar is but that cheap Tuesday deal is hard to beat. Admission, corn and drink for twelve bucks? I'll be surprised if that one survives the move.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

A hard to beat deal? :-p Yeah, at $12 each for my family of 6... I think I can easily say that I can find a better Tuesday night deal than $72 for an overrated movie, popcorn I could make better at home, and watered down pop. I am stunned by the movie industry, honestly. Who, in this economy, can think that's good value, even for "entertainment?"
Good think it's my choice not to go. :-)

And, I do wish them well. A new theatre has been a long time coming and the old one was soooo disgusting.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Tero wrote:A hard to beat deal? :-p Yeah, at $12 each for my family of 6... I think I can easily say that I can find a better Tuesday night deal than $72 for an overrated movie, popcorn I could make better at home, and watered down pop. I am stunned by the movie industry, honestly. Who, in this economy, can think that's good value, even for "entertainment?"
Good think it's my choice not to go.

Of course it's your choice, it's always nice to have different options. I'm of the mind that every now and then there comes a movie that deserves to be viewed on a big screen, and I think it's a bonus to be able to do it for twelve bucks instead of twenty-five. Yeah the PenMar is old and tired, but once the lights go out it's just me, the screen and the popcorn so I try not to let what's lurking in the dark distract me.
ogopogo90

Post by ogopogo90 »

If you can do without popcorn, the ticket for one person on Tuesdays at the new West Kelowna theatre is only $5.62 including tax (not 3D), regular is $11.25. Add $3 for 3D movies.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I have also heard that the older one closer to Westbank proper has changed to a "last month's releases" format, showing recent but not new films at about four bucks a head admission. Snack bar is still a major purchase though.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

-fluffy- wrote:I have also heard that the older one closer to Westbank proper has changed to a "last month's releases" format, showing recent but not new films at about four bucks a head admission. Snack bar is still a major purchase though.

Saw "Ted" on the weekend. 4 bucks to get in. 13 @ the snack bar. Still cheaper then the new theatre.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
civilengineer

Post by civilengineer »

Here's an updated picture of the new theatre.
Attachments
Cinema.JPG
civilengineer

Post by civilengineer »

The huge Landmark Cinemas sign is going up
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Triple 6 wrote:...4 bucks to get in. 13 @ the snack bar. Still cheaper then the new theatre.

That's encouraging. What did $13 fetch you at the snack bar?
squbbles

Post by squbbles »

Any update on this?
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Open next week!!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”