New movie theatre

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: New movie theatre

Post by XT225 »

glassmaster wrote:Lol ... but it probably WAS the best business decision. You may see that as 'garbage' ... but a business person would see it differently. Hey, I thought this thread was about Penticton's fabulous new movie theatre ... gotta like that!

Nope, the thread is entitled "New Movie Theatre". There is no mention of fabulous...lol. I was glad to see it come to pass but I am not happy with ANY company who treat their employees in that manner. She won't have any trouble getting on with another company for sure. ps: be glad that I didnt get on this rant about Chinese connections....lol. (that kinda took my by surprise). I guess Walmart doesnt sell any Chinese made products...ya...right.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

livewire wrote:or Newcap for buying and putting several million in the local economy....seriously.

Exxxxxcuuuusssse me livewire??????????? Newcap for buying and putting several million in the ecomomy???? Just what the hec are you smokin' there boy????? Give your head a shake. Newcap cut stuff period!!! That means a loss of income to individuals who would be contributing to the economy!! THey put new equipment into the station ... and how is that contributing to the economy?? It was all purchased outside the Penticton market. What you write about Newcap and the economy is pure genuine #1 Grade bullcrap!!
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

southy wrote:
livewire wrote:or Newcap for buying and putting several million in the local economy....seriously.

Exxxxxcuuuusssse me livewire??????????? Newcap for buying and putting several million in the ecomomy???? Just what the hec are you smokin' there boy????? Give your head a shake. Newcap cut stuff period!!! That means a loss of income to individuals who would be contributing to the economy!! THey put new equipment into the station ... and how is that contributing to the economy?? It was all purchased outside the Penticton market. What you write about Newcap and the economy is pure genuine #1 Grade bullcrap!!

This is a little (ok..WAY) off topic and should probably move to the Giant FM/Country 100.7 thread but....

Let's start with a positive -- I'm turning over a new leaf.

Southy, I appreciate your direct candor and you have a point.

Newcap did come in and summarily clean house once the station was moved to the present location. I even agree that the timing and circumstances of that decision were suspect.

Now the station still retains staff that live in this area and spend their income here. Newcap leases space for their studios here, which adds up quickly. Country 100.7 helps local businesses advertise which assists in their growth, also adding dollars to the local economy etc etc etc. So Livewire's assertion that Newcap contributes to the local economy is mostly true.

The fact Dennis Walker or Stu Cross no longer pollute the airwaves with their inane observations doesn't change the fact that the radio station contributes to the local economy.

Rant over -- now someone move this thread over to the proper topic.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

DblDwn11 wrote:The fact Dennis Walker or Stu Cross no longer pollute the airwaves with their inane observations doesn't change the fact that the radio station contributes to the local economy.

Rant over -- now someone move this thread over to the proper topic.

:dyinglaughing: For a second there I thought I was reading Twobits ... you both exude the same amount of arrogance :dyinglaughing:
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm told that "Looper" is a good watch, and that Joseph Gordon Levitt is proving to be a contender. Apparently he does an excellent job of nailing a younger version of Bruce Willis.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

:nyah:
Wow! The new Penticton movie theater is amazing and many are seeing movies there. The sound, screens, seats and screen clarity are the best I've seen.
:spinball:
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Agreed Nepal. Took my son lastnignt. I was very impressed.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Really looking forward to taking in a matinee tomorrow ... timing is great to take in a movie and go for an early dinner in the area.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

glassmaster wrote:Really looking forward to taking in a matinee tomorrow ... timing is great to take in a movie and go for an early dinner in the area.

I agree 100% this is a wonderful facility. But really, aren't some of you going alittle overboard on this thread? It's a movie theatre that is in business to generate revenue. Yes, it's an entertainment venue, however, YOU pay for it. Let the hugfest end people. Landmark can purchase advertising for this facility just like every other business out there. They don't need the likes of you giving them free advertising. Do you get excited when a new car dealership opens? A new clothing store? Come on now ... it's a theatre that is in business to MAKE MONEY!!
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

That may all be true southy ... but a car dealership doesn't provide the entertainment factor that a movie theatre does. Just because it is a business that makes money, doesn't mean that we can't show our enthusiasm for it being in Penticton. This community has waited 50 some years for a new theatre ... we are 'rightly' excited to check it out, and yes, even share our excitement. Encouraging others to support the facility is a positive thing. There are enough people on these threads that thrive on spewing the negative aspects of any and all new things in Penticton ... if some of us are excited to take in a movie at the new theatre ... I don't think we need you trying to put a downer on that. I hope they have huge success in this location ... and that it encourages other business ventures to give Penticton a try.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's also nice to see the money stay in town (more or less). I know of lots of people who stated openly that they would rather drive to Westbank than patronize the PenMar. No need for that now. Sure, in the big picture a night at the movies is not as cheap as it used to be, but at least now for those who choose to do so it will be nice to have an up-to-date option available locally.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
LightShine

Post by LightShine »

stay in town [more or less] LOL
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

As Nebula just responded to you on another thread, you need to get a grip.
Last edited by glassmaster on Oct 13th, 2012, 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

What's the story with the fired manager? :137:
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

There are always two sides to every story. You should probably ask her (and her employers) that question. Anything you get from here would likely be speculation.

Return to “Central Okanagan”