New movie theatre

Tero
Board Meister

Re: New movie theatre

Post by Tero »

glassmaster wrote:There are always two sides to every story. You should probably ask her (and her employers) that question. Anything you get from here would likely be speculation.

Yeah, cause the employers are going to come clean. I believe the paper had some garbage about different visions? A real nice thank you to the woman who stuck it out at the Penmar all those years.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

I'm not a cold or heartless person ... but I just don't understand why people get so upset when new ownership makes some changes with their employees. The Pen-Mar likely had a significantly different business profile and vision that what the new theatre has. People lose their jobs ... or quit their jobs every day. To act as though the business has no right to employ who they think is the best fit to their operation - seems so bizarre to me. What do you suggest? A boycott on the new theatre because they let a long-time employee of the Pen-Mar go? Ridiculous to try and create a scandal from something that happens every day ... at all levels of work and business.
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

glassmaster wrote: To act as though the business has no right to employ who they think is the best fit to their operation - seems so bizarre to me.

To me as well.
Also what seems bizarre to me is to think of employees as merely replaceable cogs.

When I work for a business - by default - I become an extension of that business. In a way, I am an emissary.
That's not to be guffawed. Think about, business owners. And think about how you NEED to develop employee loyalty.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

glassmaster wrote:I'm not a cold or heartless person ... but I just don't understand why people get so upset when new ownership makes some changes with their employees. The Pen-Mar likely had a significantly different business profile and vision that what the new theatre has. People lose their jobs ... or quit their jobs every day. To act as though the business has no right to employ who they think is the best fit to their operation - seems so bizarre to me. What do you suggest? A boycott on the new theatre because they let a long-time employee of the Pen-Mar go? Ridiculous to try and create a scandal from something that happens every day ... at all levels of work and business.

I really dislike the additude of "It happens all the time." Well, I'm sure it does, but that does not make it right. I do not know the old manager, but I've never heard anything but positive about her. I would think that after years of slogging it out at the disgusting Penmar on Martin that her reward would be the beautiful new theatre.

Just cause "that's how things happen all the time" does not make it right, and it's worth speaking up about and asking for answers. The worst that can happen is someone says MYOB!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

who cares what happened to whoever.....

I think they should still keep the penmar for cheap 2nd run movies just like in Westbank.

I live in Westbank and I go there all the time...2-4 dollars a movie...awesome!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

glassmaster wrote:I'm not a cold or heartless person ... but I just don't understand why people get so upset when new ownership makes some changes with their employees. The Pen-Mar likely had a significantly different business profile and vision that what the new theatre has. People lose their jobs ... or quit their jobs every day. To act as though the business has no right to employ who they think is the best fit to their operation - seems so bizarre to me. What do you suggest? A boycott on the new theatre because they let a long-time employee of the Pen-Mar go? Ridiculous to try and create a scandal from something that happens every day ... at all levels of work and business.

Pretty much agree with you glass but a few comments. First, this isn't new ownership, it's a new building so I don't think a new broom sweeps clean applies here. What this new building does create however is a whole new model of marketing and more importantly technology that the previous manager has no experience with. It is likely far more cost efficient to replace than retrain and for all we know, the past manager may have been offered but refused retraining and hence the "different visions going forward". There is also the possibility that the manager was offered a lower position.....perhaps assistant manager and declined. Until the manager herself speaks out about unjust treatment, and I have seen no such evidence from her or any supporters, it is grossly unfair for armchair CEO's to villianize a business for an internal staffing decision they know nothing about.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Ditto that. We know nothing of the circumstances surrounding this "parting of ways" other than a few vague lines in a tiny newspaper blurb. Hardly a basis to be crying corporate turpitude or anything else for that matter.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

twobits wrote: it is grossly unfair for armchair CEO's to villianize a business for an internal staffing decision they know nothing about.

Couldn't agree more ... but, apparently, that kind of thinking is too much logic for some people.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

So they got seven theatres.

that means a choice of seven movies.

whenever I have a choice of seven movies, I try really
hard to choose the lesser of seven crappy movies, hoping
to luck out and choose the one movie that might not be crappy - or is least crappy.

why is it, that Hollywood can not make intelligent movies that make people think?

discuss
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well, it's business. The name of the game is bums-in-seats, and there's a considerable part of the movie-going public who don't see thinking and entertainment as a package deal. I agree Thinktank, that it's hard to find deeper meaning in the usual parade of chase scenes and explosions that has become the Hollywood success story formula but I would suggest that the target market for this type of flick is not particularly in search provocative food-for-thought as much as they are for a couple of hours of laughs and/or eye candy. The thinking persons' sort of movies are still out there, they just don't get the hype of your typical blockbuster.

Of recent note are:
The Debt
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
The Way
Hereafter

But granted, these do tend to flick through town fairly quickly, not hanging around for weeks on end like your Dark Knights and Avengers. As a seasoned movie buff I like to stay current on up-and-coming with sites like Tribute.ca that cover theatrical release dates as well as disc and have all the trailers available. Currently on my radar are "Cloud Atlas" for the big screen and "Moonlight Kingdom" for disc.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Coud Atlas is going to be those thinkers....

Its also dubbed the most unfilmable Novel which got filmed so we will see.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

[quote="Symbonite"]who cares what happened to whoever.....quote]

Really? That's a crappy additude for today's world. Anyway, maybe contact the NEW manager and ask him or her to keep the old Penmar open. Maybe it would provide a job for the fired manager.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Some people quit their jobs (with little or no notice), they have no good reason for leaving their job ... they just don't feel like working for that person/company any more. Shall we blackball people that quit their jobs without having any valid reason to do so? After all, that kind of irresponsible behaviour can cause real stress to a big or small business. Tero, you seem under the impression that a person is 'entitled' to keep their job forever (even though you have no idea of the circumstances) ... so does that work both ways?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Tero wrote:Anyway, maybe contact the NEW manager and ask him or her to keep the old Penmar open. Maybe it would provide a job for the fired manager.

You're joking of course. :137:
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Todays world is crappy..Oh well...

BUT like i said...why get rid of the PENMAR when you have a chance of do cheap 2nd run theater...just like westbank..

Return to “Central Okanagan”