Wednesday, April 16th3.0°C

Bill Barisoff gone . . . look who is stepping up.

South Okanagan topics including Summerland, Naramata, Penticton, Okanagan Falls, Oliver, Osoyoos, and Keremeos.

Moderators: Jo, ferri, Merry, Triple 6

Re: Bill Barisoff gone . . . look who is stepping up.

Postby Rockitman » Oct 30th, 2012, 5:22 pm

XT225 wrote:Yet, don't forget that even if we don't like the guy or his record, its critical that we DO vote for him next May; otherwise....he will be baaaa..............ck!!!

Seriously ?? Please tell me you were just joking and you wouldn't really send someone to Victoria to represent this constituency because you "don't" like him as your mayor. If you are serious them I'm hoping that people of Naramata and/or Summerland and/or Peachland would have something to say about that. But then I'm sure you are just kidding..RIGHT ???
Rockitman

Liked in: 0 post

Postby XT225 » Oct 30th, 2012, 5:58 pm

trueindependent wrote:
XT225 wrote:Yet, don't forget that even if we don't like the guy or his record, its critical that we DO vote for him next May; otherwise....he will be baaaa..............ck!!!

Seriously ?? Please tell me you were just joking and you wouldn't really send someone to Victoria to represent this constituency because you "don't" like him as your mayor. If you are serious them I'm hoping that people of Naramata and/or Summerland and/or Peachland would have something to say about that. But then I'm sure you are just kidding..RIGHT ???

Yep, 100% serious. You have to look at the bigger picture. What is someone like D.A. going to do for us in Victoria? Very very little. With a guaranteed NDP Govt coming in May (provincially), any opposition MLA will not have much clout; in other words the S. Okanagan will be ignored; sad but true. We would be far better to elect an MLA of the SAME party (ie: NDP) but with all the right wingnuts in this area, thats unlikely to happen. It irks me to have to consider voting Liberal but to leave the same person in power HERE as mayor is far worse. It wouldn't even surprise me if the local unions get behind D.A. and help him along; its the only way to remove him from his present office(s). Such a shame that the third person had to run last time for mayor; otherwise Ashton wouldve likely never got voted in as mayor in the first place.
XT225
Übergod

Liked in: 130 posts

Postby southy » Oct 30th, 2012, 7:28 pm

So XT ... can I assume you really really really really don't like DA??? :dyinglaughing: Have to agreee with you 100% my friend.
southy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby XT225 » Oct 30th, 2012, 7:38 pm

southy wrote:So XT ... can I assume you really really really really don't like DA??? :dyinglaughing: Have to agreee with you 100% my friend.

Southy, you only said "really" four times.....I would give it another couple....lol. In my opinion, his record is dismal and this city will do much better once he is gone to Victoria where he will literally be ignored. I wouldve liked to have seen Litke or Bloomfield run for the NDP but that hasnt happened so the next best thing is to vote for Dan and get er done. I know its a hard pill to swallow to vote Liberal but just think of the "benefits" for the city!
XT225
Übergod

Postby krocky » Oct 30th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Come on guys that would be very irresponsible. No wonder the province is screwed. What about if the NDP only get a minority and they need to appease the LIBs somewhat, you could be giving DA more "power".
krocky
Board Meister

Postby XT225 » Oct 30th, 2012, 8:34 pm

krocky wrote:Come on guys that would be very irresponsible. No wonder the province is screwed. What about if the NDP only get a minority and they need to appease the LIBs somewhat, you could be giving DA more "power".

The Province is screwed because of the Fiberals performance. They will be lucky to even GET official opposition status...and if they do, DA might have more power, yes; but removing a thorn in our sides locally is far more important. I know...its a sickening thought to have to resort to vote Liberal but just think we would be doing for the local folks. We might even get a mayor that everyone likes again!
XT225
Übergod

Postby fluffy » Oct 31st, 2012, 6:18 am

Strategic voting. I can see the reasoning behind it but in a way you would be spending your single vote on spite and revenge. Aren't there more positive bases for deciding who to vote for? Like precisely what a candidate has in mind for our future? I can see the whole election being one of "I'm not as bad as you" rather than offering any vision for the province's future. The NDP are depending on low public opinion of the Liberal government to get them into office, and may well get there without having to say a thing about what they will do differently to bring about change/improvement. I can't wait for the writ to drop and the promises to start flying to see if there are actually any concrete strategies in place.

We don't elect new governments in this province as much as we kick out old ones. We kicked out the So-Creds in 1991, we kicked out the NDP in 2001, and now we're positioning ourselves to kick out the Liberals. And what improvements have we seen along the way?
quick - report this post to a mod
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 591 posts

Postby Rockitman » Oct 31st, 2012, 7:50 am

-fluffy- wrote: We don't elect new governments in this province as much as we kick out old ones.

This is commonly referred to as negative voting and we have been doing it for far to long now. I hate to sound like a broken record but that is why it is time to start looking towards the candidate rather than the party. Time to put some people in place that truly want to make a difference rather than someone looking to hitch a ride on the gravy train.
Rockitman

Postby CTF » Oct 31st, 2012, 9:33 am

trueindependent wrote:This is commonly referred to as negative voting and we have been doing it for far to long now. I hate to sound like a broken record but that is why it is time to start looking towards the candidate rather than the party. Time to put some people in place that truly want to make a difference rather than someone looking to hitch a ride on the gravy train.

For someone who complains about “negative voting” to then go and make a negative swipe accusing people of running for office with a party as being “all about a gravy train” you seem to contradict yourself. Why not try being positive instead of smearing others ?

Jannic Perrino ran for a “party” to serve as a candidate and she is one classy lady. Try stepping up your game an offer something to vote for instead of using negativity against others who I can assure you also want to serve their communities.

Calling someone down simply because they choose a different means then you do is not a vote getter in my books.
CTF

Postby fluffy » Oct 31st, 2012, 9:46 am

CTF wrote:Jannic Perrino ran for a “party” to serve as a candidate and she is one classy lady.

I think the point being made is that the focus in things like electing a candidate is to pick someone most likely to win, the personal skills and viewpoints of that particular candidate in relation to improving the quality of life for the electorate rarely comes under consideration.

All the candidates in the running for the Liberal candidacy had their strong points. What was it that ultimately made Mr. Ashton victorious?
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby XT225 » Oct 31st, 2012, 9:55 am

-fluffy- wrote:
CTF wrote:Jannic Perrino ran for a “party” to serve as a candidate and she is one classy lady.

I think the point being made is that the focus in things like electing a candidate is to pick someone most likely to win, the personal skills and viewpoints of that particular candidate in relation to improving the quality of life for the electorate rarely comes under consideration.

All the candidates in the running for the Liberal candidacy had their strong points. What was it that ultimately made Mr. Ashton victorious?

To me, and many other folks, all that matters is that come May 2013 we will most likely be able to get him outta Dodge! :dyinglaughing:
XT225
Übergod

Postby fluffy » Oct 31st, 2012, 9:58 am

I was thinking a little more as to what was in the minds of those attending the Liberal Candidate Selection Meeting.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby Rockitman » Oct 31st, 2012, 11:17 am

CTF wrote:For someone who complains about “negative voting” to then go and make a negative swipe accusing people of running for office with a party as being “all about a gravy train” you seem to contradict yourself. Why not try being positive instead of smearing others ?

Jannic Perrino ran for a “party” to serve as a candidate and she is one classy lady. Try stepping up your game an offer something to vote for instead of using negativity against others who I can assure you also want to serve their communities.

Point taken. I agree with you, Janice is a classy lady and I have nothing but respect for her. Perhaps I didn't articulate my point as I could have. Had Janice won she would not have been looking to "hitch" a ride as others might but she would end up on the train, of sorts, regardless. Once she got to Victoria she would have had no choice, as a member of the party but to get caught up in the party's ongoing and never-ending struggle to remain in power. That is what current party politics is all about.!!

Do you know the Liberal government pushed through 16 bills in 3 days with literally no debate in the last sitting because they knew there would be no fall sitting, so they could "illegally" start campaigning (have you seen the ads your tax dollars are paying for). Do you think Janice or any other Liberal MLA would have had any say in that? No, in fact she would have been instructed by the party WHIP where, when and how she must vote on every single one of those bills whether they were good for the Penticton riding or not.

So while there is a difference between negative voting and negativity about a system of politics that I vehemently oppose, I do agree with you about using that negativity against "individuals" is not the route to go, so, thanks for your comment, I WILL keep that in mind.
Last edited by Rockitman on Oct 31st, 2012, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockitman

Postby CTF » Oct 31st, 2012, 11:20 am

-fluffy- wrote:

I don’t believe that I missed the point at all. To me it was clear that “true independent” was slamming people who also want to make a difference but called them down because they choose to be part of a team and run in a party. Suggesting that people who decide to run under a party platform only want to be “on the gravy train” in an unfair and low level comment in my books, it rubs me the wrong way and I suggested that he be more positive and offer something to vote for instead of criticizing others.

In answer to your question Ashton would not have been my first choice, however he did tackle the problem of a bloated City administration and has been able to keep taxes affordable since he got rid of all of the dead weight on the second floor. The fact that the CUPE Union hates him is one reason why I do support him as he also stood up to them and did NOT sign the blank cheque for big pay raises like some Mayors do. When you see Kelowna going over budget on City Hall reno’s and Penticton is holding the line some people see that as a positive.
CTF

Postby CTF » Oct 31st, 2012, 11:24 am

trueindependent wrote:Point taken. I agree with you, Janice is a classy lady and I have nothing but respect for her. Perhaps I didn't articulate my point as I could have. Had Janice won she would not have been looking to "hitch" a ride as others might but she would end up on the train, of sorts, regardless. Once she got to Victoria she would have had no choice, as a member of the party but to get caught up in the party's ongoing and never-ending struggle to remain in power. That is what current party politics is all about.!!

Do you know the Liberal government pushed through 16 bills in 3 days with literally no debate in the last sitting because they knew there would be no fall sitting, so they could "illegally" start campaigning (have you seen the ads your tax dollars are paying for). Do you think Janice or any other Liberal MLA would have had any say in that? No, in fact she would have been instructed by the party WHIP where, when and how she must vote on every single one of those bills whether they were good for the Penticton riding or not.

So while there is a difference between negative voting and negativity about a system of politics that I vehemently oppose, I do agree with you about using that negativity against "individuals" is not the route to go, so, thanks for your comment, I WILL keep that in mind.

Thank you for acknowledging my point and also recognizing that you CAN criticize our system of governance WITHOUT needing to personally criticize those who do chose to get involved. I think it is positive and important to discuss the pro’s and con’s of our current system and look forward to doing so.
CTF

PreviousNext

Return to Penticton / South Okanagan