Goodbye Ironman

sale4u
Fledgling

Re: Goodbye Ironman

Post by sale4u »

Good riddance! Although the money that gets poured into the community is great, I for one will not miss the arrogance of the participants. I don't know how many times in the last week and a half that I have been cut off by a cyclist training. I do hope that the new event attracts the novices and not the pros i think maybe they would be more respectful of others. People riding down main street blocking traffic and nearly causing harm to themselves as well as others will not be missed.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

sale4u wrote:Good riddance! Although the money that gets poured into the community is great, I for one will not miss the arrogance of the participants. I don't know how many times in the last week and a half that I have been cut off by a cyclist training. I do hope that the new event attracts the novices and not the pros i think maybe they would be more respectful of others. People riding down main street blocking traffic and nearly causing harm to themselves as well as others will not be missed.

Sale4u ... These races, whether it be IronMan or the Challenge Penticton, are good for our community. So what if we are inconvenienced by the cyclist's training. Really, can't you slow down and let the cyclist's do their thing? I commute daily to Oliver ... and generally take Eastside road. There are lots of cyclist's on that narrow road ... and I am more than happy to slow down and wait for an opportunity to safely pass by them. I admire what they do ... and don't find it an inconvenience to to slow down until it is appropriate to go by them. You say that the participants of the race are arrogant ... I would suggest that you look in the mirror. Our roads serve many purposes .... they are not just for you. Why is it so difficult to support community events that make this community thrive? The Challenge event will also create some of the 'frustrations' with the althetes training .... I think you best get used to it Sale4u. Take deep breaths and learn to accept these 'minor' inconveniences. This is good for Penticton ...
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

I don't need to look in the mirror Thankyou very much. I too take east side road on many occasions and what I don't understand is why they need to ride three side by side. I ride a bike too and am considerate enough to know that I need to stay as far to the side as possible so that I don't cause an accident. The arrogance I speak of is that these people believe they can do whatever they want because they are " athletes". Well, true athletes are smart enough to find a safe place to train so that they don't get hurt and can compete. Perhaps we should lobby our politicians for a widening of that road or build a training facility. I do believe this is great event for this city and I appreciate the extra business but rules need to be laid out to the participants in regards to where, how and when they can train. They also might want to give them a little piece of paper that explains manners in regards to the locals as they do when you travel to a foreign country.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

I drive the entire length of that road every day. I could take the highway but enjoy the route. Never once have I seen the cyclists riding three across on that road. Never. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen .. I just haven't seen it. So, if that does happen, I don't imagine it is very often.
That road is narrow and there are lots of curves ... so there are some spots where I have had to wait for a minute while the cyclist gets around the corner so that I can safely go by him/her. The inconvenience is pretty minor in the big scope of things. When I drive that road ... I fully understand that it is going to take a little longer than taking the highway. I also understand that if there is a cyclist training on that road - I automatically slow down as I am approaching or going by them. Doesn't bother me a bit. I actually like seeing them out there training ... it is a scenic road ... and probably a big part of what keeps bringing them back to Penticton.
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

The inconvenience is pretty minor in the big scope of things. When I drive that road ... I fully understand that it is going to take a little longer than taking the highway. I also understand that if there is a cyclist training on that road - I automatically slow down as I am approaching or going by them. Doesn't bother me a bit. I actually like seeing them out there training ... it is a scenic road ... and probably a big part of what keeps bringing them back to Penticton.
Well said Glassmaster. I don't mind slowing down at all, and I admire the athlete's committment to their sport. I think some people mistake an athlete's focus for arrogance.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

XT225 - correct, it won't come to Kelowna. There's no way for the bike course to exit the city without hindering some significant traffic corridors. Vernon seems like a possible fit. Whistler not so much.

On losing the Ironman brand, I echo other's statements that note Penticton, not Ironman, made the triathlon a success. It sounds like WTC got greedy, and the City didn't want to pay more taxpayer dollars for a for-profit event, and so Penticton shopped around and got the residents a better deal. Sounds like a good move by your City Hall.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Anyone know how registration for next year is doing?
roseridge
Board Meister

Post by roseridge »

Midnite wrote:Anyone know how registration for next year is doing?

Just past 1,000 signups as of today. Hotels that are usually booked up a year in advance of Ironman still have a lot of vacancies available. Not good for the local business community ... possibly political suicide for the current mayor who has already been plagued by the hockey dorm gate scandal, and now possibly the iron gate scandal. Vernon or Kamloops getting IMC will make matters even worse - which is something I fully expect to happen.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

marooned wrote:XT225 - correct, it won't come to Kelowna. There's no way for the bike course to exit the city without hindering some significant traffic corridors. Vernon seems like a possible fit. Whistler not so much.

On losing the Ironman brand, I echo other's statements that note Penticton, not Ironman, made the triathlon a success. It sounds like WTC got greedy, and the City didn't want to pay more taxpayer dollars for a for-profit event, and so Penticton shopped around and got the residents a better deal. Sounds like a good move by your City Hall.

Odd.....Kelowna had said previously that they don't PAY events to come to their city; (ie: Ironman) but now they state that they ARE seriously looking at putting in a bid (though still a "maybe"). I think that if Ironman stays in this valley ANYwhere, that either they or Challenge Family needs to change their dates. Having both events on the same day is suicide. There might be room for both to survive here but on the same day? That's not reality.
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

Well it looks like we've done talked it out. I have a small addition that I would like to say on the matter, I've only been in Penticton 12 years since retirement, since retirement I worked part time at a hotel in town and a lumber yard during the summers, I found that on the weekends when Peach Fest, Iron man, Muscle Beach thing, and other various functions that were held in Penticton, that the hotel rates climbed $50.00 to a $100.00 a night Beer and wine went up 30 to 50% as well as food in the restaurants not only for the tourists but us locals as well, at the local big stores watermelons, that were $5.00 on thursday were $7.00 on Saturday hotdogs and chips went through the roof, golfing, well thats another subject a local golf club up by the lakes in 2008 went from $45.00 for 18 holes to $62.00 in a year they said is was the price of gas, needless to say there is knew owners now trying to get the customers back. So much for a small addition, what it seems to be is were all trying to be "Greedy" and compete with big bussiness, I for one will stop. Have a good one.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Rainman above. Ya, def...def...Definately $7 a water melon...ya, $7. :nyah:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Looks like Kelowna is putting in a bid for Ironman. If they are successful and it is held the same weekend, things could get interesting!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Sad thing is WTC will probably reduce the sanction fee and increase the prize money and qualifying spots for Hawaii as an inducement.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

twobits wrote:Looks like Kelowna is putting in a bid for Ironman. If they are successful and it is held the same weekend, things could get interesting!

Why on earth would Kelowna want it? Did noone pay attention to why Penticton let them go?
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

underscore wrote:
twobits wrote:Looks like Kelowna is putting in a bid for Ironman. If they are successful and it is held the same weekend, things could get interesting!

Why on earth would Kelowna want it? Did noone pay attention to why Penticton let them go?

Kelowna council had said that they wouldn't PAY any organization to come into their town to hold events...however how often do politicians REALLY tell the truth and do what they say they will? The cost to Kelowna is pennies compared to what Penticton had to pay (the population can absorb it a lot easier than Penticton taxpayers could). The real question is "Can Kelowna handle the traffic closures and where would they be"? Its also too bad, if Kelowna does get it, that either Ironman or the Challenge Triathalon wont stagger the dates; even by a week. Standing ground and having them on the same day would be nuts.

Return to “Central Okanagan”