Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

hoot
Fledgling

Re: Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

Post by hoot »

The current crop of baby boomer retirees are the most scurrilous sack of self serving pukes to ever slither across the social landscape.

Ignoring your scurrilous , stupid , misinformed, gerontophobic (look it up) rant for the moment, it may surprise you to know, according to the last census, baby Boomers ( those born between 1948 and 1966 ) make up over 50% of the Penticton workforce, and therefore contribute more than their fair share of taxes. So if anyone should have a say in the development of the city it is they.

Unfortunately, the baby Boomers can be held accountable for the raising of their offspring , many of whom turned into into spoilt , mean minded, mealy mouthed, brats who, instead of admitting liability for the World’s current ills choose the easy way out and place the blame on others.

Somewhat like your whining post……………

“To exclude the elderly is in a sense to deny the past, in which the present is firmly rooted, in the name of a modernity without memory.” John Paul 11
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I'm proud of all those who came out to voice their opinions re the Lakeshore drive. Not all of them were seniors, either. Funny how the city council (and Mayor) even allowed options 1 and 2 to come to the public eye if "we don't have 7 million to spend", which has been stated by several of council lately. One would think that they wouldve sent it back to whoever thought up the two crazy plans to get back to reality. Who in the H is this Rod King fellow, anyways? Doesn't work for the city, that Im aware of. Options 3 and 4 are much more suitable to todays economy and the purse strings of Penticton in my opinion.
save lakeshore drive

Post by save lakeshore drive »

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

save lakeshore drive wrote:A bunch of retired car guys???it is only about 10 % of those against option 1 and 2 that are retired.I started this site and I am a family man with a 6 year old,so that blows that out of the water ,and to complain about them being gas guzzling hot rodders??,I have put 7,000 miles on mine in 7 years...how much fuel is that compared to most of these 4x4 trucks?? the pollution level of a diesel engine verses a gas one?? The most amusing is the eco lovers who are the worst hypocrites in the world,I am all for Eco ,but at least look at reality.how do 99% of the ironman participants get to the okanagan ??? ...cars...,How do 99% of the tourists get to Penticton ???...cars again !, and how many of these pro bicycle fanatics have a car ???99% so there you go,without cars/trucks...there would be ZERO tourism,zero jobs,zero food in the grocery store and zero services.Ambulances ,police cars and fire trucks on 2 wheels with pedals??Are you awake now??? :sleepdeprived:

You are to be commended for your excellent work in getting the publics attention and growing support against major (expensive) changes to Lakeshore. Funny how council seemed to be promoting ONLY options 1 and 2, and THEN when yourself and others got behind the movement against such nonsense, some members of council (mayor included) backed off and suddenly said that "we don't have 7 mil". If not for the public backlash, options 3 and 4 likely wouldn't presently exist. Good work! I'm personally hoping for option 3 with one addition - a bulldozer job on the mounds at Lakawanna park. ps: can anyone tell us WHO this Rod King fellow is? What position does he hold in the city, if any?
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Funny how council seemed to be promoting ONLY options 1 and 2, and THEN when yourself and others got behind the movement against such nonsense, some members of council (mayor included) backed off

An opponent of the prison would tell you it's it's deja vu all over ag'in......
save lakeshore drive

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
save lakeshore drive

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Do a proper job of Lakeshore Drive, but in affordable stages, would be my vote. Look at all the great cathedrals and monuments in Europe. They were grand-scale and amazing projects, but were done over decades, in stages, when they had the money. The key was that they had a great plan and over time worked away at it. Work on the Nidaros Cathederal began in 1070 and was finished around 1300. http://www.gonorway.com/norway/articles/475 North America is too much about instant gratificaion and tacky results. Great results take time to design and build. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/egypt/travel-tips-and-articles/76606
Attachments
Amazing projects take a lot of time to design and construct. 200 years for the Great Wall
Amazing projects take a lot of time to design and construct. 200 years for the Great Wall
Last edited by nepal on Oct 22nd, 2012, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
save lakeshore drive

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Which is in a worse state, Lakeshore Dr., or Main St.?
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

"No man made stuff". What a joke! You think that pavement your so proud of just appeared over the last million years? Do you think the "classic car" you drive was hatched by an animal or something? If your so disenchanted with the way this city is ran why don't you get off your velvet seat and run for something? Or at least volunteer somewhere where your helping others not just yourself. If progress didn't happen you my friend would not have a classic car in which to drive your ego around. Just say'in!
save lakeshore drive

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
save lakeshore drive

[delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

My contribution is multifaceted if you must know... Not just selfishly one sided. I helped organize, sponsor and volunteer at Oktoberfest, I sit on a city advisory board (three year term and no not the lakefront committee ), I volunteer and donate at Business Gives Back (which has raised over $950,000.00 to date for all local families and organizations), and volunteer time to setting up the Peach City Beach Cruise every year (since 2000 and considered Ken Paton a good friend). Besides all this, I have helped open three different hospitality businesses (bars-nightclub- restaurant) that are all still running in one form or another here. I currently run a successful business here and have personally donated over $60,000.00 thes past years to sush things as; Peach City Beach Cruise - every year, Oktoberfest, salvation army food bank, Rock the Peach and other smaller charities. Good enough? Care to list yours now? And don't bull#%*^ us because we all know who you are. We need to improve what we have like Shemanius did. I never said take out the parking. I just say lets ALL move out of the eighties!!! Huh? I was born in the 60's, not stuck in the 80's !
Simone Blais

Post by Simone Blais »

Hi everyone,

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but this is a quick note to let everyone know that the location for the Monday, Nov. 5 meeting of council is changing to the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre, 273 Power St. The meeting time remains the same at 6 p.m.

We're currently doing some audio-visual upgrades to the Council Chambers room, and while things are very, very close to completion, we can't guarantee that we'll be able to get into the room and test the new equipment to ensure live-streaming of the meeting in time. Moving to the PTCC will guarantee we have that technology up and running. The good news is that, once the AV upgrades are complete, our live-stream will work on all devices - including IPad/IPhone and Android technology. Our IT people are very excited about that piece.

Given the interest in the waterfront project, though, we wanted to ensure as many people know about the location change as possible. My apologies for any inconvenience.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to call me any time: 250-490-2583.

Best,
Simone Blais
City of Penticton communications officer

Return to “Central Okanagan”